WD Purple 512GB with SG9663DCPRO: Yes or no?

newcamman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9663DCPRO
Hi all. After a dooring incident that my camera caught in parking mode, I'm looking to upgrade to a 512GB card. Ya know, so I have more time to notice damage before the video gets overwritten.

I'm considering the 512GB WD purple card, does anyone have any experience with this card paired with the SG9663DCPRO?
I've used both 128GB and 256GB sandisk high endurance cards, with mediocre luck. They seem to keep the camera from booting somewhat consistently, even when brand new! Hopefully the WD purple cards are better despite WD buying them out...

Now that I take a closer look, it appears the WD purple card is also only UHS speed class of U1. Guess I'll have to wait until the EVOs come back in stock somewhere.

Now that I take a closer look, it appears the WD purple card is also only UHS speed class of U1.
So? That’s still dramatically higher than required, right? I have no experience with WD Purple cards either way, but I would think 80Mbps would be plenty.

Now that I take a closer look, it appears the WD purple card is also only UHS speed class of U1....

So? That’s still dramatically higher than required, right?...
More than adequately fast enough. I use U1 cards exclusively in all my SG cameras (SG9663DCPRO and SGGCX2PRO+ with rear camera) with no issues.

I dont think the new purple cards would work ( stamped QD101 ) But the old purple cards was U3 / V30 cards and might work.
BUT ! i would not roll with "might" but rather with what SG say will work.

The purple cards seem to have changed when WD and Sandisk merged, so i think the faster cards are now sandisk branded and the WD cards seem to be lesser speeds.

I forgot to add we actually switched to the newer Samsung EVO Select 512GB card and it seems to be fine so far. (Since the Green and White one seems to be out of stock now)

SAMSUNG EVO Select Micro SD-Memory-Card + Adapter, 512GB microSDXC 130MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD, UHS-I, U3, A2, V30,

0becce30742871f006c7148a5fb46852.jpg

I am going to get me one of each of the new Sammy cards, 256 GB ( there is a blue and a white edition, not that different from each other as i recall )
These sadly do not carry warranty for dashcam use, but it is what it is.

I forgot to add we actually switched to the newer Samsung EVO Select 512GB card and it seems to be fine so far. (Since the Green and White one seems to be out of stock now)

SAMSUNG EVO Select Micro SD-Memory-Card + Adapter, 512GB microSDXC 130MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD, UHS-I, U3, A2, V30,
Funny you mention it, I had ordered that card just an hour before you mentioned it.

These sadly do not carry warranty for dashcam use, but it is what it is.
Darn... but paying $60 to try a different card is a small price to pay compared to what I saved by having a working card.

Its okay, for many many years we have used these cards ( no dashcam warranty ) and it is just fine, but if it is possible i still recommend people get a card with warranty.

In the early days all i had was cheap Kingston cards, and i had several die on me, and though no warranty for dashcam use i still got a new cards several times in the B&M store where i got the cards.
Did RMA on the computer at home, drove to the store, stood in line for 10 minutes - waited another 10 minutes and then left with a new card.

I will soon pony up for 2 X 256 GB of the new Samsung cards, and they will go into what is essentially a dual channel system, just one that have a card in each camera.
I could try other cards in my test suite of cards, but i want to add these new cards to my collection, though normally oi only get 128 GB cards for testing, but the new system are 4K on both cameras, so figure better not go small on storage space.

Last edited:
Well, I've gotten to the point where I think there's something wrong with my camera. The new evo 512GB card came in. First thing I do is use the latest version of the SD card formatter tool to do an overwrite format. I put the card in my camera this morning and formatted it. I got a random beep out of the camera 6 minutes into my drive, and three more random beeps on my return drive. :cry:

I always had the impression that doing a full overwrite format was fixing the issues I was having (for a while), but I'm guessing that what was really happening was that removing and inserting the card temporarily fixed some sort of mechanical issue. :(

If you are running highest image quality ( which you should ) , try to set that down to the lowest IQ just to see if less data hitting the card make any change.

I have one of the old purple cards ( not QD101 stamped ) and it work fine in any of the SG cameras i have tried it in, actually i got the card from SG as in the last batch from the company the old boss tossed in several memory cards, a couple of them even 256 GB.
But this was of course in the SG9663DR that was my last SG camera for testing and just 128 and 256GB cards i have tried.

How about segment size ? what do you use.
I have always used 3 minutes myself.

Are you on firmware 1.17? Test with rear camera u plugged. Beeping can mean a communication issue with the rear camera as well.
Open a support ticket in our site to check warranty status. We have replacement parts available of it’s been over 2 years.

Argh thats right, :oops: forgot that, any problem with 2 channel camera and always unplug rear camera and see how front camera do alone.
Problem ( most often with the wire ) with the rear camera, very seldom i have heard of the camera unit itself begin the reason.

I’ll give that a try. When there’s a communication issue with the rear camera will I also be likely to see a blip in the recorded video? I am running firmware 1.17. Also pretty sure I have it set to 3 minute segments, or at least I did at one point.

I’ll also have to double check that I have the video cable connectors plugged in the right way around. I can’t recall if I paid attention to that. How much would having it the wrong way around affect things? I do remember the fiberglass slivers from the headliner in my fingers. :p

For the SG9663DCpro+ if the 6 meter cable is backwards the rear camera won’t plug in deep enough for a good long term connection. That’s for sure what the beeping while driving problem is if so. Straight plug goes Into the recessed port of the rear camera. The 90° side plug shank isn’t long enough to reach the recessed port fully. Our newest production have labels on the cable ends.

The SG9667DC2K doesn’t have this problem because it uses a new USB Type C plug on the rear camera.

I purchased mine at the very start of 2020 and the cable I’m using is the one with a 90 on each end. Did it matter at that time?

Ok that’s not the 2021 plus edition. That’s not the newer compact rear camera with deeply recessed port I talked about. The shorter 3.5 meter cable Has a 90° connector on both ends but one is left angle than one is right angle. If you have it backwards it blocks the GPS port.

You could have some kind of loose connection on your rear camera perhaps.

Well, in that case the cable ends are connected to the correct cameras.

Back