Wearable recording device, audio-only

jack1234567890

Reaction score
Hi everybody
I own a Blackvue 400 series II, I love having it in my car and being able to review the videos later.

I am wondering, does anybody know of a device that I can wear/carry with me everywhere and works like a dashcam, but records only audio? I want to experiment with this, could be useful for recording encounters with service providers, co-workers, police / traffic stops, crossing the border, airport security, finding a detail that somebody told you earlier but you forgot, etc

I don't have a smartphone so I don't know if there is an app for that, but I imagine if there was an app it would drain the battery if you were recording all day.

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

Jack

Anything that records all day is going to through batteries, your bigger issue is possibly one of legalities though

jokiin said:
Anything that records all day is going to through batteries, your bigger issue is possibly one of legalities though

That's a good point. I have looked into it in my jurisdiction (Canada) and I am confident that what I want to do is lawful.

re: batteries, if I have to charge it once a day that's fine, I'm looking for a batt life of let's say 8 hours.

jack1234567890 said:
jokiin said:

That's a good point. I have looked into it in my jurisdiction (Canada) and I am confident that what I want to do is lawful.

re: batteries, if I have to charge it once a day that's fine, I'm looking for a batt life of let's say 8 hours.

you must have very liberal laws if you could record interactions with police, airport security and border staff legally without notifying them that you were recording

there are accessory mics for iPod's (used to have one) and you could get very long recording times on some models, probably plenty of other solutions available, not something I've used for a long time

It is illegal in some countries to record the voice of an individual without their consent in a public or private place, so best to check the laws out first in case you get into trouble.

I used to have a boss who was a right little hitler. She used to stop me in passing & dish out her orders - then deny ever saying those things. I had a tiny MP3 player/USB memory/recorder which I always carried with me. Whenever I saw her coming I would press 'record' and slip the device into my breast pocket.
It came in handy when she had me in her office with her manager to complain about MY attitude (basically, refusing to add any more straw to the camel's already overburdoned back!).
"come in, sit down, we want to talk to you about..." 'is this an official meeting?' "yes" 'in which case, I should've been told about it beforehand so i could have a union rep present' and I walked out.
As I was walking out, she said to her boss "and that's the kind of attitude i have to put up with".
Still recording, I turned to her boss and said 'any decent boss would've given me notice & not simply dragged me away from my work'.

At a later tribunal, I submitted many hours of soundbites. They pointed out that none of it was admissible as it was illegal to record without consent. I asked them if she would have said any of the stuff she was saying if she knew I was recording? I also pointed out that managers bullying staff was also illegal & since it was all done out of earshot of other people, how else was I expected to prove it?
I put in a series of complaints right up to the chief exec as well as letters to local MPs.
I pointed out to the tribunal that, in law, the case would be seen as my word against hers & only witness testimony would be allowed as proof - but she was careful to always talk on a one-to-one, in her office, in the corridor, in my office etc.
It was agreed that whilst the evidence should not be admissible, it would be heard as the huge amount of recorded evidence was rather compelling - especially since much of HER grievance was written down for the tribunal & was contradicted within the first couple of minutes of recording.
The evil cow only got a slap on the wrist but at least the harassment stopped.

Back