Weird behavior with Anker charger

Mike007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anybody else get weird behavior, like the cam turning off and going into standby with an Anker "IQ" charger? I have an older model dual port charger. I'm thinking this "intelligent" circuitry is causing issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VH84L5E

I had the same unit with my Mobius, and it worked perfectly for a couple years, then one side of the adapter began to work erratically so I stopped using it. I can't recall if my Mobius just shut off or went into standby but it did stop recording. I had another cam plugged into the second port and swapped them around getting the same results from the bad side.

I don't think the IQ-charging plays a part with this, but it can be an issue in powerbanks that have IQ which sometimes turn themselves off. Maybe Anker has changed the circuitry? I don't know. I was disappointed with Anker and still am, but I'd be willing to give their other products a chance given their good reputation.

Phil

Anybody else get weird behavior, like the cam turning off and going into standby with an Anker "IQ" charger? I have an older model dual port charger. I'm thinking this "intelligent" circuitry is causing issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VH84L5E

I have several dual USB port cigarette lighter adapters, three of which are in service in my vehicle at any given time. Every once in a while I'll have an issue with a camera (especially Mobius) not turning on properly or turning off unexpectedly.

The problem "may" be fairly simple to fix.

In an automotive environment over time, especially depending upon the conditions where you live, you can get some oxidation on the contacts inside the USB ports and on the USB-A plug itself. So, over the years I've learned that if you use a good contact cleaner on all the plugs and ports, including the camera's mini-B port, you can either fix the issue quickly and easily or find out if you have a more serious issue that needs attention. Nowadays, I clean all the plugs and ports on my dash cams every few months as preventive maintenance.

So, maybe give this approach a try and see if anything changes.

I recommend Caig Lab's DeoxIT - D5. It's the most effective product on the market for this purpose.

deoxit.jpg

I dug out an old Garmin GPS charger and all is well so far.

I have one of these that I've been using for years as tom-tom always put one in their sat nav boxes, never had any issues with my mobius cameras using these on a daily basis

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020_175120.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020_175120.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
Well the Garmin didn't fix it. Guess I'll try another card. :facepalm::(

One of the best card deals ATM is the Samsung EVO Select from Amazon. Be sure it is being both sold and shipped by Amazon.

Phil

I've been trying the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb for its supposed enhanced rewrite durability. Out it goes. Will try with a known (well up to now anyway) good 32gb card then will try a 128gb EVO Select once I hopefully rule out any other causes.

Have you confirmed that the problem is not with the accessory outlet in the vehicle? Seems a bit odd that the problem persists through multiple cards and multiple power supplies - that only leaves the camera itself or the power source.

Well I changed cards, and by coincidence changed power supplies. I'm now trying the previous card to see what happens. The cam was malfunctioning every 10 minutes or so with the Anker. I switched to the Garmin and had a good solid hour drive to work this morning, but during lunch it malfunctioned soo...

Well I changed cards, and by coincidence changed power supplies.
First rule of trouble shooting - only change 1 thing at a time. ;)

I know. Couldn't help it. Had to get the one in my daughter's vehicle hooked up when she started driving. That one is doing fine with the power supply I was using.

Just occurred to me that it could be the cable from the power supply to the camera has a break in it that's causing the issue. Just one more thing to put on the list.

Replaced the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb (with 5,009 5-star reviews and high praises with dash cams) with an old Patriot 64gb and no problems.

Back