weird dashcam model

eg789123

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
hi all, new here,

just won this dashcam,
https://www.amrod.co.za/Product.aspx?Code=TECH-4922

problem is I cant figure out what model it is? what chipset I have? and what firmware if its recent

here are the specs from Windows 10 X64
USB\VID_04FC&PID_1628&REV_0100&MI_02
USB\VID_04FC&PID_1628&MI_02

not sure if the firmware is even recent, says gs9000 on the 2016-03-10

looking for the PC drivers, firmware (if available) and some information on what chip-set/manufacturer

any experts able to help?

What is the firmware version as it appears exactly on the cam screen? is it something like GS9000.2016.03.10?

you dont want to connect the camera to the computer, while some can act as a mass storage devise it are normally a very slow one, much better to take memory card out and put it in a card reader.

It look like a generic model that probably come in a lot of qualities.

Googling "GS 9000" gets another different cam, but one of those mentions a Novatek chipset. It is possible that what you have could be similar but I have no way of knowing that for certain. One thing you could do is to look at the dashcams being offered through Banggood, Gearbest, AliExpress, and other online stores and see if you can spot one which looks like yours. If you do, ask the seller what the firmware version is and if it is the same as yours, then you probably will have the same hardware as theirs. Otherwise you might find info on the chip inside; many of those are marked.

With cams like yours, what I usually advise is to try it as it is, and if it works decently then take that as a win and just use it. You do not need the latest firmware most of the time, and with these generic cams there is usually no other firmware except than what it comes with anyway. For viewing files, the free VLC media player does good with most cams and file formats. Do this directly from the card, it is the fastest and most trouble-free way. There's a free Android version of VLC too, so you don't need a PC to use it.

Phil

Googling "GS 9000" gets another different cam, but one of those mentions a Novatek chipset. It is possible that what you have could be similar but I have no way of knowing that for certain. One thing you could do is to look at the dashcams being offered through Banggood, Gearbest, AliExpress, and other online stores and see if you can spot one which looks like yours. If you do, ask the seller what the firmware version is and if it is the same as yours, then you probably will have the same hardware as theirs. Otherwise you might find info on the chip inside; many of those are marked.

With cams like yours, what I usually advise is to try it as it is, and if it works decently then take that as a win and just use it. You do not need the latest firmware most of the time, and with these generic cams there is usually no other firmware except than what it comes with anyway. For viewing files, the free VLC media player does good with most cams and file formats. Do this directly from the card, it is the fastest and most trouble-free way. There's a free Android version of VLC too, so you don't need a PC to use it.

Phil

do agree, if it aint broke dont fix it.

problem is I noticed the IR sensors dont come on at night, and no menu option for them,
also when I check their operation with a camera phone, they dont seem to be working.

im hoping to find an updated firmware to fix that, or a menu option that controls that.

nobody can tell me what model this is? I linked the site where I got mine from,

With most cams, the "IR LED'S" aren't IR, but only cheap whitish ones. And whichever they are, they do no good in a dashcam because the light reflects back from the windshield washing the picture out. They should be turned off. They are only useful when recording the interior of a car where there is no glass for them to reflect from.

Whatever cam you have, it is not one of the more commonly seen cams. There are dozens of camera models being built by dozens of factories at any point in time. Many of these use "public" designs; in other words anybody who wants to use those designs can do so. And they are free to alter the hardware, software, and cases as they please. What usually happens is that a decent design is built, then dozens of other companies make similar cams with each effort being made differently in an effort to maximize profits. And with every different design, the firmware can be different. So of two identical looking cams, one may be good and the other junk, and rarely are there firmware updates for any of them. There is also a lot of false specs touted for these cams so again you do not know if it's good or not until it's in your hands. In time only the cheaper versions are profitable to make and sell. The "DVR 027" and "G1W" series of cams are good examples of how this works.

Usually with these, the only source for firmware is through the seller, and a lot of the time even they will not have access to it- especially if the company who had it built has discontinued making it. Rarely will anyone invest the time, effort, and money into upgrading firmware with these- it just doesn't pay to do that. Nor do they care; you've bought the cam, they have your money, and unless it was DOA you're not going to get anything else from them.

So the chances are great that you have the only firmware for that cam already, and attempting to update it with anything else might brick the cam. The chances are equally great that it is a cheaply built cam which won't last more than a couple years at best, and may even die within months as so many of the cheap ones do. It's not worth putting any effort into, just use it until it dies and be happy. If you want a better cam, then buy one which is well known with a history of good performance, and with it's maker actually caring enough to do firmware updates and assist their customers when needed.

Phil

thanks for the advice @SawMaster,

like I said I won mine, have no idea of the firmware, and no idea of the manufacturer, or how reliable or not my particular one is.

what would you recommend in the similar price range/capabilities bracket as mine? Ill see if they import/have an office locally in RSA.

apparently my dashcam chipset is made by sunplus?

not sure if that is good or bad? and not sure if that helps anybody?

not sure if I can now use sunplus drivers ect on it and it will work?

ok, got a bit more info for you guys,

dismantled this dashcam (sold locally in SA as a Patrol dashcam)
https://www.takealot.com/patrol-das...VCZ3VCh3rpA0WEAQYASABEgL3lvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

took a few pictures of the insides, IMG_20181122_183424.jpg

apparently chipset is marked as SPCA 1521A-HL09L M168L60 1702 (sorry for bad quality, phone camera pic)

not sure if this helps anybody?

I believe its a fake clone of the DVR027 that quite a few people identified previously,
but I need to confirm, as mine does have menus in black and white.

Back