Well, I just installed an A119V3 in a 2017 MINI Cooper (F55)

Velvetfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Arrived sooner than expected. It went fine. Haven't driven with it yet.
Here are some 'highlights' (I include some MINI specific stuff in case a web search lands here)
-I used fuse 42, door locks, for always on. An always on fuse on the MINI is hard to find.
-I used empty fuse slot 53, (A/C?). Stays energized about 5 seconds after shutdown.
-Installed just to the left of the mirror's rain sensor housing (steering wheel on left) and up high as I could, taking into account the space required for removal of the unit.
-The location is not intrusive and I can access the SD card easily; the buttons, not as easy, but the save button, not bad.
-Screwed up the first time with the mount sticky tape; luckily there were two; I ordered a roll of the (hopefully correct) stuff, 3M VHB #5952 .
-Installed the polarizing filter
-The power on protocol for parking works, ie, parking "off", acc turns unit on and off; parking "on" , switches to parking mode when acc is off.
-Set the HK3 to 12.2 volts. By the way, the Yellow wire was Battery and Red was ACC, and were correctly labeled.
-Did the cable ties with electrical tape around them trick on the wire going under the headliner so the wire won't drop down.
-Used a Samsung Ultra + (I think, lol) 256 g; unit formatted it just fine.
-I have one of those cigar lighter usb outlets/voltmeter coming, just in case I mess with parking mode.

Other notes:
It would be nice if the lens swiveled left and right rather than just up and down.
Also, the audio seems pretty good to me.

Are you using the VIOFO 3-wire kit? Yellow wire is for ACC on their kit.

Are you using the VIOFO 3-wire kit? Yellow wire is for ACC on their kit.
Yes. I got it from you!
I thought it was weird. Everything I read was that yellow was ACC. But on mine, yellow was battery and red ACC, labeled on wires and unit. It also came with fuse taps, which worked great as well.

Yes. I got it from you!
I thought it was weird. Everything I read was that yellow was ACC. But on mine, yellow was battery and red ACC, labeled on wires and unit. It also came with fuse taps, which worked great as well.
Well, that would be odd. I'll need to check my current supply to see if Viofo has changed the color coding.

Yes. I got it from you!
I just checked a bunch of kits I have here and they are all labeled Yellow for ACC and red for Battery. Not sure what's is up with yours if it's reversed.

I just checked a bunch of kits I have here and they are all labeled Yellow for ACC and red for Battery. Not sure what's is up with yours if it's reversed.
I did a double take when I saw the wire labels. Then I looked at the unit and they matched, with similar descriptions on the unit. Good news is that it seems to working just fine.
PS: I'd have to take off some car trim to check, but maybe at some point.

Did it say "Viofo" on it? Should say something else if wired backwards!

That’s OCDTronics listing and he sent you a Street Guardian hardwire kit. That’s why the colors are opposite.
How come Street Guardian makes them with the wire colours backwards?
Everybody knows that red is positive power and black is negative/zero/ground!

Hi sorry for the mix-up. 1 power supply must have been sorted incorrectly at the new south Florida office after the big move from Nevada.
It's definitely a one-off as everything was just re-sorted recently and confirmed ready on the new shelves of the now larger combo office here.
Send an email or private message with your details and we can send the official VIOFO 3-wire hardwire kit.

we follow the industry standard, that's why they're not backwards
Just checked my Blueskysea 3 wire hardwire kit, Red = Power, Black=GND, Yellow = Acc, exactly the same as the Viofo.

So it seems your industry standard is not very standard for the dashcam industry!

Basic school electronics says that red is power, black is ground, my car battery has red and black terminals.

Back