WF1 WiFi connection to Smartphone Fail!

Giraffe

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Vico Vation WF1
I am happy with my purchase & function of Vico Vation WF1, however I cannot seem to get it linked from the cam to my Android S4. to make settings adjustments to the cam, as it keeps telling me that the internet connection is TOO SLOW! It is a broadband WiFi connection running at around 6,800kbps. Hardly slow? I have followed all the instructions. Something is not right.
I am wondering if the cam is faulty. Everything else seems fine, so I am also wondering if it might be ME!? ... Anyone else had a similar issue with the WF1?

you would be connecting to the camera from the phone via WiFi in Ad-Hoc mode, the internet shouldn't come into it at all, something wrong there

Last edited:
I'm no longer able to see SSID "Vico-WF1". I tried multiple devices (even my laptop) and the WF1 is not broadcasting WiFi any more for some reason. :-(

I just brought the WF1 back to my bedroom, plugged in, and still don't see WiFi. (very strange)

The whole reason I went to connect today was to play with the Night Enhancement options. I was going to record a video sample of normal vs enhanced.

I'm sending a email to Vicovation support. I'll let you know what they say.

I held down the button for 20 seconds and it force powered off the WF1. When I turned it back on the voices are speaking once again (they were muted) It doesn't seem to be a complete factory default though since the LED is still muted (dim glow, instead of the default bright blinking)

Strange!

False Alarm! But I learned something new. I forgot that I let my roommate use this 32GB as a generic flash memory for Windows 8.1 installation. He formatted the card NTFS. It seems that WiFi will not be broadcast if the card is not the right format. I manually formatted the card in Windows FAT32. All is well again

This might catch other customers off guard too. (for those that have formatted their microSD card NTFS) You're left unable to connect in this state. This is a catch 22 because you're unable to tell WF1 to re-format the card then! I'll let support know maybe they can find a better solution in case other customers become confused as well.

Last edited:
I am giving a WF1 and try and am having trouble. I plugged it into my car.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.2.2
I am running VicoViewer 1.1.3 downloaded from the Android market. I had even installed and re-installed a few times

I plugged my WF1 into my car. I got the System Boot Up... Recording Started Voice prompt. The default WF1 network name was displayed on my phone. I was able to connect to it and my WiFi status bar icon showed activity up and down. I then launched the app and it just sits at Searching for Camera. No connect to wifi voice prompts nothing. Phone just says Searching. I went around the block for a few mins. I left my phone in my car when i came back for a few mins. No connection.

I tried this according to your screen shot. I changed the Ip address, but i might of messed up here as i have

IP Address
Gateway
Network Prefix Length
DNS1
DNS2

I only changed the IP and left everything else as it was after trying like that only one Wifi activity light would flash.

The camera had recorded video of itself sitting on my passenger seat when i put the memory card into my PC.
When i connect the camera to PC with the USB cable it boots up and goes into file browse mode on my PC but the connection point is not even displayed then.

Does anyone know something i am missing?

:EDIT:
Also tried on an Android tablet with no luck. Still stuck connecting to camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need both IP and Subnet Mask (see my screen shot on that tip page)

Try to delete/forget the WF1 SSDI in your phone and reconnect again.

I'll test my WF1 with my roommates Galaxy S4. (stand by)

I forgot and re logged in a few times on both my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Tab 10.1. I read someone left a review on Google Play Store saying they had the same issue as me.

I even did a Factory Reset on my Tablet and tried it again with no luck.

My brother has an iPod Touch that I can try but he was busy this evening. Hopefully i can try tomorrow and at least get it set and aimed in my car.

Last edited:
I just confirmed the problem happens on my roommates brand new S4 (1 week old)

So again, it did NOT work on the Galaxy S4. (same exact problem you described)

keGdgOnl.jpg

PExos2ll.jpg

It DID work on his old S2
kBBfSuHl.jpg

EpSOB4Sl.jpg

I had issues on my iPhone 5S until the new iOS 7.0.3 came out. (fixed everything)
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/fyi-ios-7-0-3-fixed-vicoviewer-settings-problems.2880/

Response:

"Dear Jon

Thank you for your feedback.
Android system is much more complicated than iOS since it has several platform.
Galaxy S4 works well in TW, but it’s possible to have problem in USA or other network.
We will re-test again and debug in our next software.

Best regards.
視連科客服部
VicoVation Service Team"

Response:

"Dear Jon

Thank you for your feedback.
Android system is much more complicated than iOS since it has several platform.
Galaxy S4 works well in TW, but it’s possible to have problem in USA or other network.
We will re-test again and debug in our next software.

Best regards.
視連科客服部
VicoVation Service Team"

After my initial thread I didn't think anyone was going to answer there for a while. But I am pleased to see some posts after all.
I am not so pleased to see that a lot of other people are having the EXACT same issues, I am with my brand new WF1!!!
I have to say I am unimpressed that we are all having this difficulty with one of the most popular current phone handsets in the world!
I am not all that good with all this new hi tech stuff, but I get by fairly well. This has stumped me!
So, what is the solution then, in simple lay mans terms please, without all the abbreviations that leave me cold!

Thanks everyone for your input.

After my initial thread I didn't think anyone was going to answer there for a while. But I am pleased to see some posts after all.
I am not so pleased to see that a lot of other people are having the EXACT same issues, I am with my brand new WF1!!!
I have to say I am unimpressed that we are all having this difficulty with one of the most popular current phone handsets in the world!
I am not all that good with all this new hi tech stuff, but I get by fairly well. This has stumped me!
So, what is the solution then, in simple lay mans terms please, without all the abbreviations that leave me cold!

Thanks everyone for your input.

The bottom line is, Vicovation is located in South Korea. They tested to make sure Vicoview works with the Galaxy S4 phone in Korea. It continues to work in Korea. Something is "different" about the U.S.A./Australia version of the Galaxy S4 that is messing up the communication of Vicoviewer and S4. It's possible the carriers did some funky customization that hosed it up. (straying from the Google default/norm) They acknowledged the problem, will test, and will be coming out with a fix as soon as possible. (next software update)

Your temporary solution if you wish to make changes in the WF1 settings will be to barrow a friends iPhone or iPad. (or Galaxy S2)

Until then, stand by to stand by as kinks are worked out. As they said the Android platform is VERY complex out there with so many devices. The slightest small difference can break things. iPhone is easier to support as a developer since you only have a few iPhones.

1 more good to know option:
Your WF1 will continue to record just fine regardless of smartphone working/not working.
You can still take out the microSD card, and read it directly via your S4 or SD Card Adapter in Mac/PC.
The best app to view all videos at once on a Windows machine is
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
Simply copy the RegistratorViewer.exe on the the root of the microSD card. When you launch it, you'll see ALL your videos nicely grouped together.

You have to realize these are the first generation of WiFi enabled DashCams. They are blazing the trail on adding this cutting edge functionality.

Last edited:
I just confirmed the problem happens on my roommates brand new S4 (1 week old)
So again, it did NOT work on the Galaxy S4. (same exact problem you described)

Thanks for testing JazJon. I was worried it was something i over looked or did not configure correctly.It's also nice to see your room mate and I are on the same carrier (Or at-least his S2 was T-Mobile My S4 is the same model number as well too) so if they are able to fix it for your ticket hopefully it will work for me as well.

1 more good to know option:
Your WF1 will continue to record just fine regardless of smartphone working/not working.
You can still take out the microSD card, and read it directly via your S4 or SD Card Adapter in Mac/PC
As you mentioned i was still able to record. My Event Button still worked correctly. I got LDWS to turn off and on, and I was able to update my FW (to see if that fixed it first but it didn't) all without using the VicoViewer Application.

P.S. I just created a support ticket and sent them this link for reference.
Thank You again for going above and beyond even to test and ticket for a device you don't own. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thanks for testing JazJon. I was worried it was something i over looked or did not configure correctly.It's also nice to see your room mate and I are on the same carrier (Or at-least his S2 was T-Mobile My S4 is the same model number as well too) so if they are able to fix it for your ticket hopefully it will work for me as well.

As you mentioned i was still able to record. My Event Button still worked correctly. I got LDWS to turn off and on, and I was able to update my FW (to see if that fixed it first but it didn't) all without using the VicoViewer Application.

Thank You again for going above and beyond even to test and ticket for a device you don't own. I really appreciate it.

Yes, thanks for the input. My wife has an S2, I might have a fiddle with that, if she lets me! :)

Yes, thanks for the input. My wife has an S2, I might have a fiddle with that, if she lets me! :)
Good luck hope it works out for you. It is a neat device and will only get better once everything is worked out

My Viewer application just updated. I have my WF1 next to me, but it does not seem to broadcast WiFi when plugged into a PC. I'll try it tomorrow in my car and see if my S4 works.

GooglePlay says
October 31, 2013
Current Version
but it just got pushed to my phone a few mins ago.

My Viewer application just updated. I have my WF1 next to me, but it does not seem to broadcast WiFi when plugged into a PC. I'll try it tomorrow in my car and see if my S4 works.

GooglePlay says
October 31, 2013
Current Version
but it just got pushed to my phone a few mins ago.

That's pretty typical, it goes into MassStorage mode like many other DamCams

I tried to disable it in Device Manager, so maybe it would kick out of Mass Storage mode. (didn't work)

lFhkLc3.png

The easier option is to just plug into the standard USB power adapter from your Android/iOS device.

Another option is to cut the data wires (white/green) on a spare USB cable with mini USB lead.
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

This is how I kept my previous car (2008 BWM 335i) from from taking over my iPhone when I used the USB port in the armrest. (created a switch, back in 2009)

And yes I "upgraded" to a SmartCar :)

I read the end of your post a little to fast and clicked the link hoping to see a picture of a BMW and then got disappointing when i seen some wires ha.

To be honest I had been looking at a SmartCar i seen brand new ones are only like 12-13 grand and i like neat different things, but i kept reading about Transmission issues and some owners had to keep making their car "relearn" That and coming from a long line of owning Camaros Firebirds and Corvettes would be a little bit of a shock until i got used to it.

:On Topic EDIT:
Okay so back on topic. I updated my Samsung Galaxy GS4 to VicoViewer version 1.1.4 and it worked so i am excited about that. Really great of Vico to fix it that fast.
(Less then a week from when JazJon opened a support ticket and a new version was released.)

So far i am down to two small and one bit bigger issue left.

#1 is it feels like it takes a little long to copy a video file from the camera to my phone. I did not time it, but it seems to move a bit slowly. I also noticed that I seem to have to play a file and then click save. The file is saving and playing behind the save box dialog at the same time. I'm sure this has to use a bit of bandwidth. I meant to try long pressing and see if i can save from the file list to see if it goes faster. I'll try that next time i am in my car.

#2 again is my feature request that the LED ring have an off setting so that it does not glow at all at night

#3 is to make it as good during the night as my TF2. Now that I can use it properly i can do some decent night time testing and playing with settings, but from what i remember when i would pull the card and use my computer night time was a little rough.

If at least the last two of these three things happen I would have no problem recommending the Vico WF1 as the best and most stealthy DashCam i have ever used. Again I am extremely impressed with how fast Vico fixed the issue and i really hope it is possible to take my other points into consideration.

:Off Topic EDIT:
This is my 454th post wish my car had a 454 Chevy Big Block Nothing like more Horsepower and Cubes

I read the end of your post a little to fast and clicked the link hoping to see a picture of a BMW and then got disappointing when i seen some wires ha.

To be honest I had been looking at a SmartCar i seen brand new ones are only like 12-13 grand and i like neat different things, but i kept reading about Transmission issues and some owners had to keep making their car "relearn" That and coming from a long line of owning Camaros Firebirds and Corvettes would be a little bit of a shock until i got used to it.

:On Topic EDIT:
Okay so back on topic. I updated my Samsung Galaxy GS4 to VicoViewer version 1.1.4 and it worked so i am excited about that. Really great of Vico to fix it that fast.
(Less then a week from when JazJon opened a support ticket and a new version was released.)

So far i am down to two small and one bit bigger issue left.

#1 is it feels like it takes a little long to copy a video file from the camera to my phone. I did not time it, but it seems to move a bit slowly. I also noticed that I seem to have to play a file and then click save. The file is saving and playing behind the save box dialog at the same time. I'm sure this has to use a bit of bandwidth. I meant to try long pressing and see if i can save from the file list to see if it goes faster. I'll try that next time i am in my car.

#2 again is my feature request that the LED ring have an off setting so that it does not glow at all at night

#3 is to make it as good during the night as my TF2. Now that I can use it properly i can do some decent night time testing and playing with settings, but from what i remember when i would pull the card and use my computer night time was a little rough.

If at least the last two of these three things happen I would have no problem recommending the Vico WF1 as the best and most stealthy DashCam i have ever used. Again I am extremely impressed with how fast Vico fixed the issue and i really hope it is possible to take my other points into consideration.

:Off Topic EDIT:
This is my 454th post wish my car had a 454 Chevy Big Block Nothing like more Horsepower and Cubes

On Topic:
Great, I'm glad the Vicovation developers are on it fast.

I'll add your 3 wish lists points to the other thread. (they said they are watching it)
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...suggested-firmware-feature-enhancements.2788/

Off Topic:
Ok well here is the FOR SALE video I made several years ago if you want to see the hard top convertible in action with a Napa back drop. It was a beautiful car.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dql4yea9vknmrpg/BMW For Sale.wmv

Okay so I'll get the off topic stuff out of the way first.
That is a really clean and nice looking BMW I hope it went to a good home.

Back on topic. still having some issues now that i have been able to play around with things in the day time a little bit.

I can view and aim my camera. Changing the system settings as well as the wifi settings also works well so the camera is fairly use able now

However

I can not seem to get videos to transfer correctly wirelessly from my WF-1 to my GS4. 3 min clips seem to move really slowly and now that i am trying to watch them on my phone the two regular clips i tried to transfer only play for a few seconds and then it comes up as saying video unsupported. So today i happened to have an event clip that i wanted to archive. The video started saving faster because it was a smaller clip, but only got up to %12 saved and then the camera voice prompt said WiFi disconnected recording started even though my phone still showed being connected to the WF-1 WiFi SSID, and the same thing happened only about the first 5 seconds of the clip played on my phone then it came up video unsupported.

Also forgot to mention that long pressings on a video on the camera only lets you delete it from the camera's micro sd card. You have to select the video let it play and click save on that screen.

I would like to see Vico change it so a long press choice along with delete would be to save the video this may speed the saving process up, and might cure my saving error since the Wifi does not have to work as hard streaming and saving at the same time.

:EDIT:
I just now tried to resave my event video wirelessly and it went decently fast and saved completely.
For some reason my WF 1 seems to disconnect from my phone sometimes even though my phone shows it as still being connected to the WF 1 access point.
I have to disable my WiFi and then turn it back on to get the app working again.

Last edited:
Back