What are currently the best dashcams for handling high temperatures?

woorich

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which current models are best at dealing with routinely withstanding temperatures over 100ºF (40ºC)? While the camera is operating, it will be in airconditioning, but it needs to be able to withstand being in a car parked in the sun for a few hours without being killed by the heat that builds up inside the car during that time.

By "current models," I don't necessarily mean just the latest, most expensive models. I mean anything that can still be found new (or like new) from the past 2 or 3 years.

And not looking to spend a fortune on it. I don't need something that has all the bells and whistles. It just needs to get the basics done reliably.

(Looking to replace a VicoVation TF2+, so it would be a plus if can use the same mount for that model. But not required, obviously.)

Yeah you do need a phone / tablet for initial setup, but after that not really.
In the other end Street Guardian have several happy users in the hottest of American states, and they also carry their famous no BS customer care if some problem should arise anyway ( even the best make a dud now and then )
But i think the heat related focus shift are not so bad anymore as it have been at least on the cheaper cameras.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nigel. However, I don't usually have a smartphone around while driving, and from that review, it looks like you need one to make adjustments with this model.
I only need one to correct the time occasionally, since it doesn't have GPS, although if you want to replay the video in the car then the smartphone or tablet is very useful, only needs a cheap one.

If you prefer something less basic then the Viofo cameras seem to do OK with heat, my A129 has had no issues, but possibly a dual camera is not sensible for 40ºC heat if that is the external temperature.

I've never had temperature issues, heat or cold, with any of the SG 'GC', or 'DC' series cameras. Just make sure whatever you get is not battery based.

From what I've seen here on DCT, the best high-heat cams are the original Möbius when fitted with supercaps, the SG9665GC, and so far the B1W seems to do exceptionally well too. I can attest to the first and last but I've never owned a SG cam, though I would if I could. All SG cams do well with heat. I had a Viofo WR-1 which took the heat very well but it's out of production and had some other issues. All Viofo cams are above average in heat with a few exceptions regards older versions; buy new and you're OK. Avoid all battery equipped cams, super-caps only. Read the forum about the one you want before buying to see what others have experienced with it.

Phil

My SG9665GC has an unpleasant tendency to go somewhat out of focus if it gets especially hot but to its credit it will return to normal when it cools down. Many cams that go out of focus are ruined forever without a repair.

Three Mobius cams (and now 4) in my vehicle year round in both extreme high temps and well below sub zero have never failed me.

Last edited:
So far my SGGCX2 has done well with the few days I have used it.

Back