What are my best footage storage options?

JdiddledR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new so sorry if this thread exists. I am an uber driver. I have a Rexing V3+ and am running a 256GB Samsung Evo SD card. I want to protect myself from false claims by passengers. I do not know how long a passenger has to try to pull a false report out their lower side of the sun. I was deactivated for a false accusation on Lyft and did not have my footage when needed. I want to be able to store footage for about 3-6 months (yes I know I'm being paranoid lol). What are my best options?

Yep, I do similar but to a smaller scale as my mileage won't be anywhere near yours.

It will be expensive but you're going to need quite a few, I would recommend, Western Digital My Passport type 4Tb portable external HDD's.

Then implement a rotation exercise with them for the number of weeks or months you want to protect.

The next thing to realise is that you're going to need about an hour a day + to offload the footage.

Buy multiple cards for each camera, rotate each card for each camera over 7 days, so each card becomes a backup in its own right. This was typical for tape data storage not that long ago, often rotating 30 tapes every 30 days, so 30 backups. So 7 cards per camera. You really should have 2 cameras per side of car. I have skimped a bit with 1 camera per side but at least 2 cameras for redundancy in the front. I have a second camera for the rear but currently I am using it for a live feed for rat traps in our roof, they keep eating the electrical wires. My understanding is that the largest hard drive to go for is 2GB as beyond that the hard drives use multiple platers, less reliability. Do a backup hard drive for each camera off site just in case of a fire with 7 years back up for legal requirements. Just in case, a second back up on another continent just in case of a meteorite strike or Chinese failed space station orbital failure. Not to forget automatic hot power switching just in case your power supply fails, the thing you would do for any mission critical computers. I had this for blackouts for 3d rendering for computers. Nothing pis_es you off more than a 12 hour 3d computer render & a blackout minutes before the end!

Or you could buy the largest card the camera will utilise. If it's 512MB you should get up to about 100 hours before rewriting at a lowish resolution & simply let & forget, & second camera for redundancy which would covers most levels of failure.

Another vote for an external HD, preferably two. After copying the files to the first HD do another copy from there to the second HD. In addition to providing a backup destination by copying the files you're also verifying they can be read if needed sometime in the future.

Personally, I wouldn't use multiple SD cards as 'backup' because they're prone to failure with zero warning and if it's the only copy of the files it's not really a backup.

Personally i could not be bothered with backing up, not even on the computer where i after all get the full read speed of the memory card, and it is a place where i spend a lot of time so it could just run in the background.
So all i have is the week or so ( system and memory card depending )

These ride share services i bet they don't do much in the way of people working for them, as they probably soon have another guy to fill a vacant slot.
Even if i totally support a employers right to do / ask what ever he like, then i would dislike even more seeing a person get the boot unjustified.
So in that case backing up would probably be a good idea, CUZ these days the customer sure as hell aint right all the time.

Only smart to CYOA as nobody else is going to care what happens to you. Retain and back-up until you're positive you don't need the files and if you have space to keep them longer then do so. Anything you have which worries you in the least should not be deleted for at least a year.

Phil

Fully format your storage cards after every time that you copy your footage to a portable external hard drive. This will help to keep your storage cards in good condition and may even warn you of a faulty card before you need to rely on footage from it.

However, before you fully format the storage card, skip through the copied footage on the portable external hard drive using something like Dashcam Viewer to check that the video, audio, and GPS are all synchronised. If they're not then that may be an indication of a storage card with a problem.

Like everyone above, I use and recommend portable external hard drives. I am paranoid and I just keep footage for years. I started with 2TB drives and my current one is now 5TB. Mind you, I probably drive much fewer miles per year than you!

Regards,

Back