What Cam would be discreet for installing in new Citroen C4 Picasso large windscreen

hotbaws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster and hoped to get some advise from you all.

We are in the process of buying a UK 2015 Citroen C4 Picasso for my wife and I'd like to fit front and rear cameras to the car.

The car has a very long windscreen with sliding blinds as shown below which may prove to cause issues fitting a dashcam and I wanted to ask if anyone had any advise on such an install and also what camera would be suitable with these constraints.

As for the cameras, budget of £200 for both front & rear and having the parking facility would be a great addition but really just the best camera for the money (as I'm sure everyone else asks :) ) and that would be discreet enough to install on this windscreen.

Citroen-C4%20Picasso_2.jpg

Thanks in advance
Gary

Very interesting, never seen this before:

Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster and hoped to get some advise from you all.

We are in the process of buying a UK 2015 Citroen C4 Picasso for my wife and I'd like to fit front and rear cameras to the car.

The car has a very long windscreen with sliding blinds as shown below which may prove to cause issues fitting a dashcam and I wanted to ask if anyone had any advise on such an install and also what camera would be suitable with these constraints.

As for the cameras, budget of £200 for both front & rear and having the parking facility would be a great addition but really just the best camera for the money (as I'm sure everyone else asks :) ) and that would be discreet enough to install on this windscreen.

Citroen-C4%20Picasso_2.jpg

Thanks in advance
Gary

For this money you can get:

1. 2pcs good quality discrete design single dashcams, but no parking mode
2. 1set / 2channel ( front + rear ) dashcam system with parking mode, but not discrete design

within your budget you have to compromise: - either forgetting a parking mode, or going with bigger size daschams.
Or just rising a budget 2x and getting discrete style dashcam system with good motion detection recording ;)

Hi Nico,

Thanks for your reply.

Any cams you'd recommend that would be good examples of your points?

Parking model would be nice but knowing my wife she'd moan it the cams were large and intrusive especially with the large screen..so maybe best i focus on small discrete cams instead.

Thanks

No problem.
Interesting panoramic windscreen, but that very long RVmirror rain sensor- and cables cover puts me thinking. I am just trying to imagine what I would do if I would had this car.
Who will be installing dashcam ?
I guess car is under warranty and all extra "fiddlings" must be done by dealer to not void a warranty ?

No problem.
Interesting panoramic windscreen, but that very long RVmirror rain sensor- and cables cover puts me thinking. I am just trying to imagine what I would do if I would had this car.
Who will be installing dashcam ?
I guess car is under warranty and all extra "fiddlings" must be done by dealer to not void a warranty ?

The car we are looking to purchase is 2 years old so not too fussed about getting the garage to fit to preserve the warranty. I'd give it a go myself as I think I'm pretty handy and have fitted a few items to my motorbike over the last couple of years like USB socket and HID lights so hopefully fitting a dash cam wouldn't be much more difficult

The car we are looking to purchase is 2 years old so not too fussed about getting the garage to fit to preserve the warranty. I'd give it a go myself as I think I'm pretty handy and have fitted a few items to my motorbike over the last couple of years like USB socket and HID lights so hopefully fitting a dash cam wouldn't be much more difficult

Glad to hear/ see you can do some extra job yourself. Myself personally I am very pedantic when comes to "how it would look when installed" and I am always looking for nice, neat, discrete installation and small "footprint" to outside. Due to unusual nature of this car windshiel + RVmirror rain sensor + cover, the only option for discrete install is to go with one of the smallest dashcam options out there at the moment: SGRCWPC + main unit. What I would do, - I would disassemble whole RVmirror rain sensor and cables cover and run camera cable inside it, leaving to outside only this very tiny camera part.
Few pictures to show how tiny it is ( DIY from @IronMan ) click HERE.
As for the rear camera I would go with Mobius Dashcam.
This combination will give you best of both: tiny size and front camera would also have pre-buffer motion detection while car is parked. Of course there are many others 2ch dashcam systems out there with pre-buffer motion detection parking mode, but they are all with low bit-rate and bulky size ( especially front camera ).
You may also check THIS thread to see how other cameras looks like when installed in the car.

Did Ronnie Pickering sell his car?
:)

I wonder if you could attempt to color match whatever dash cam you end up with with the plastic trim stuff on the monstrous RV mirror assembly?
I'm not sure anyone would notice it if you did, or would think it was some OEM stuff.

Parking mode? I wonder how much heat builds up in a parked car with that greenhouse of a front windshield?

You could tuck an SG9665GC behind the rv mirror against the side of the rv mirror mount. Would be nice and flush, you shouldn't even see it behind the mirror and from the outside it should hopefully be the same colour as the adhesive for the rv mirror mount.

Here's mine front and rear to show how discreet it is.

DSC_0890.JPG

IMG_20160330_193019.jpg

DSC_0888.JPG

DSC_0887.JPG

You could tuck an SG9665GC behind the rv mirror against the side of the rv mirror mount. Would be nice and flush, you shouldn't even see it behind the mirror and from the outside it should hopefully be the same colour as the adhesive for the rv mirror mount.

Here's mine front and rear to show how discreet it is.

View attachment 21953

View attachment 21957

View attachment 21955

View attachment 21956

Thanks for posting your pictures, they are great and give me a really good idea of what would work for our car.

I have installed Viofo A119S today - it fits nicely on top of the windscreen and does not prevent the screen visor from sliding.

I've installed my 119s in the left corner as the lens can move sideways... added the polarizing lens filter

let me know if you guys want to see pictures of the position.

this is the output video

Last edited:
Back