What Computer Operating System Do You Run?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a bit of an OS polyglot. I have a Macbook Air running OSX and I also run Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux on a desktop. Now that COVID cases are spiking again and it's not smart to go out, I want to focus on my homemade dash cam system. I'm going to build it most likely on Ubuntu or some stripped down version of Ubuntu, but I wanted to know what OSes everyone uses so I have an idea of where to test things. I'm trying to debate if it's worth writing things in Java and trying to make it cross-platform or if that will require too many resources.

Since win 98se i have been a windows guy, before that it was all DOS. ( i actually had no problems with win me or vista, okay a little during the me days but it was always after i made some changes with regedit )
I am not brave enough to give linux a go, and that fruit company i have totally dismissed already when they made MP3 players

The fruit company, it is like BMW and Audi in cars, they are probably just fine cars, but i do not want to be associated with many of the people who drive them, so sadly i can not buy a BMW or Audi even if i could afford a car like that.

I avoid any 'iTHING' like the plague (that includes computers, music players, phones, watches,... whatever), play with various flavors of Linux, and use Windows or Android for everything else depending on the hardware platform and how I intend on using it.

I am not too happy about my dependency of windows, cuz the company behind it, well it is on the same level as i have other evil companies, and hedge funds stealing my money.
To me it seem like when a company strike it big, it is destined to turn evil.
Also not happy about android, but at least i know i can do just fine not owning a phone, i have already done that for 10 years or so around the time smart phones came out.

Windows and android here... apple laptop has been put to sleep years ago even though it still work. I still use an iPad but so ready to get something else when this one dies..

Linux at home, Windoze at work and MacOS for fun.

No doubt is windows has the largest coverage in the market.

I knew that. I know some creative groups or other subsets of users are heavily in Macs and you have some hardcore people into Linux. I wasn't sure if dash cam enthusiasts fell into those groups, but it appears Windows is good enough for people. That's good to know for my testing and also if I get something going and people want to help out, where the biggest user base is.

Mac OS for the laptops and desktop, also ipads, and one Android tablet just to run MEMS_Diag app (only available on the Android OS), it's a diagnostic application that is compatible with non OBD2 compliant Rover ECU’s

windows 7 on a Mini Dell 10, to run Delphi, anther diagnostic app that only runs on Windows that is compatible with non OBD2 compliant Rover ECU

I only occasionally use window OS, but in my limited use of windows OS, if you’re familiar with one OS and see no compelling reason to swap then just stick with what you’re used to

Mac OS for the laptops and desktop, also ipads, and one Android tablet just to run MEMS_Diag app (only available on the Android OS), it's a diagnostic application that is compatible with non OBD2 compliant Rover ECU’s

windows 7 on a Mini Dell 10, to run Delphi, anther diagnostic app that only runs on Windows that is compatible with non OBD2 compliant Rover ECU

I only occasionally use window OS, but in my limited use of windows OS, if you’re familiar with one OS and see no compelling reason to swap then just stick with what you’re used to

I definitely relate to that. Before I got into higher ed, I was an IT guy, so I just learned to switch between different OSes since my job required it. I'm finding Mac is the least clunky and just works. The "Apple tax" is worth it in a lot of cases. Windows seems very clunky, but it gets the job done for cheaper. Linux is efficient if you can set it up correctly, but you spend so much time messing with things to get them to work. I guess another nice thing about Mac is the terminal is BASH so you're pretty much set.

I started way back in the late 1970s and early 1980s with Windows 3.1. Now running Windows 10 on a self-built PC and an HP 4k laptop. Also an Android user with wife and myself using a Samsung S10+.

At present I have only this old cheap HP laptop, and it runs W8.1 which is about as crappy an OS as the world has seen in a long time :mad: Wanting to build a home tower system which will be running W7; a friend has that on disk and will let me load a copy. Also have 2 cheap tablets running Android.

Phil

Windows 10 on all my desktops and laptops, Windows Server 2016 on my VM server.

Windows 10 FUBAR'd up again so it's time for me to switch back to Ubuntu. Sadly, it seems like I push certain things to the extreme so things crash every 6 months or so and I have to rebuild. It's like the Windows 98 days, but now it's just because I take tens of thousands of pictures with my phone and do other stuff for my blog that the filesystems and things like Windows Explorer puke out after a while.

A M2 drive, thats one of the better upgrades you can do on a computer today, if there is a socket for one on your motherboard.

Back