What CPL filter to get?

That's a good idea I would just buy a cheap step up plus 49mm CPL on Amazon because if you don't buy cheap you're looking at easily over $50 and with that money you might as well but a better dash cam

I found both parts at a local photo retailer for about 10EUR without VAT.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 49
Just got my yi dash. Will this make a big difference?

It should remove most if not all the windshield reflections.

$8 for the stepup ring $12 for 49mm CPL filter. Find on Amazon. I went with generic stepup and generic CPL filter fits like a charm and held by tension. Gonna test drive it when sunny tomorrow and see if it does anything for me in the Vegas sun

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_132210.jpg
    IMG_20160423_132210.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Mtz
I ordered
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131788938538
s-l500.jpg

and
HTB1i5M5JpXXXXXuXFXXq6xXFXXXV.jpg

I hope to get it soon.

I dont see a big difference with CPL at night in regard to street light flares and brake lights. Gonna play around with it at noon and see if there's a difference.

So I bought a second yi dash cam to put in the rear window. I had a Mobius but found the yi is better at night.

I got the CPL filter from amazon and have it on the front camera and do see less reflection of the dash.

I am wondering if I should get a CPL filer for the back camera as well. I have 35% tinted for the back window so not sure if adding a cpl filter would be of any use if its already filming through a tinted window.

I ordered the exact spec step-up ring and CPL filter but found the fit a bit tight. It was quite difficult to push the ring down 1mm below the lens front. In the end, there were some shadows at the corners.

The stepup ring I bought from Amazon
Goja 37-49MM Step-Up Adapter Ring (37MM Lens to 49MM Accessory) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
$7.89 fits just fine

Nice dash cam. CPL (Circular Polarizer Filter) to reduce or eliminates glare. Especially in bright day.

Lesson learned. The 37-49mm step-up adapter may not work for everyone, it depends on the brand you pick. The term "37mm" means the OD of the male thread on the adapter that is attached to a regular camera lens; the "49mm" means the ID of the female thread that accepts the CPL. In our case we need to fit the ID of the male thread to the Yi's lens housing which has an OD about 34.4mm. Every makes of 37-49mm adapter may have different ID specs on their male thread. The adapter I ordered has an ID of 32mm so I ended up dremel it to 34.5mm to make it fit. So make sure the adapter you order has an ID of 34.5mm on the male thread.

Wow the glare and reflections really do disappear. I must have a cheap CPL filter when I turn it it doesn't remove glare ay guey :(

Wow the glare and reflections really do disappear. I must have a cheap CPL filter when I turn it it doesn't remove glare ay guey :(
yes, it took me a day to figure out which CPL to buy.
The Hoya is recommended, but I didn't want to pay $15 for it.
So I went for step down, but made in Japan and proven that works
For me it's big difference as my cell phone doesn't reflect any more in a middle, it's connected over MHL to car audio, it has to be on that place for better GPS.

yes, it took me a day to figure out which CPL to buy.
The Hoya is recommended, but I didn't want to pay $15 for it.
So I went for step down, but made in Japan and proven that works
For me it's big difference as my cell phone doesn't reflect any more in a middle, it's connected over MHL to car audio, it has to be on that place for better GPS.
Which should i buy, i got a yi dash aswell and got a lot of reflections now...

Will a 37m CPL filter for Yi Action cam work s too?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Yi Dash Cam 0
S Yi Dash Cam 6
Back