What dash cam has the best power connection

Detectorguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A229
When it comes to plugs for dash cams, which are more secure. I had one dash cam it was great on video day/night, but after a while the power connection to the camera started falling out. I tried to get it fixed but could not. So now before I buy a dash cam that makes a difference. Anyone have any advise on this ?

Any with a USB-C plug. Well, I guess you can get poor USB-C too and I haven't checked all USB-C powered cameras, but the Viofo cameras with USB-C are definitely secure, the plugs click nicely into place and need a firm pull to remove them again, much better than the Mini USB or micro USB.

I've had 3 different brands of cams using USB-C and never a problem with those. Can't say that for numerous cams using USB-mini and USB-micro.

Phil

When it comes to plugs for dash cams, which are more secure. I had one dash cam it was great on video day/night, but after a while the power connection to the camera started falling out. I tried to get it fixed but could not. So now before I buy a dash cam that makes a difference. Anyone have any advise on this ?

Expect them all to fail over time. If they are not supported correctly then the constant load will slowly make the connector loose and then create intermittent faults leading to complete failure. That is the complete failure to the connector, not the actual unit.
Depending on the road surface and suspension your car has will also play a big part in how long it will take to fail.

Something like this to stop the connector from taking the forces applied.
1653020322788.png

Back