What Does Everyone Do For Storage

DaveLC2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DOD LS360W
Wow in a little more than 3 weeks I have 399 GB. Scratch that, 411 GB of video! I was just wondering what everyone does? Do you save it, delete it, run multiple micro sd cards or just let the dash cam loop and record over the older stuff. Currently I am running a single 32 GB micro sd card on my DOD LS360W dash cam. I run a 1 TB external HD. I had to fire up my old 1.5 TB external HD that has about 700 GB of free space. Holy moly this dash cam thing takes up heaps of space. I would like to save the interesting or funny random stuff delete the rest. I would like to do a cool times lapse video at some point too. I was just curious on what everyone does. I am glad that I have found this community. Everyone seems to be pretty friendly and helpful. Thank you :cool:

Down the drain with all that data, just saving the good parts should be enuff to rack up a lot of gigabytes in a short period of time.

Not long ago i saved a 1 hour recording from the X cam of me walking my sisters dog, that i had to get off my C: drive as that SSD is only 256 Gb

Okay i allso moved a lot of other files i made that have ended up in the video folder, in total it was a little over 100 Gb, and thats the results of my compilations and other recordings since i upgraded to windows 10 when it came out a little while back.

Unless there is a particular incident or something especially interesting or unusual I do the same as @kamkar1 and it all goes into the trash. There's no real point in saving all that mundane, boring footage. Recently, I dug out an old 300 GB external Firewire hard drive that is too small for my usual back-up drive cloning and now I use that to archive any dash cam footage I feel like hanging onto.

A weekly trip to no fro my fiance's house is nearly 20 GB by itself. I am into photographing so space is a premium for me. I have to do a mega purge at the end of the month lol

I just save some screen shots that I have an interest in. Rest is trashed.

I've posted up a few car related stuff on Instagram. I'm limited to 25mb in my e-mail & a cheesy 15 second square video on Instagram. I use the square ready for video app on my iPhone to make a slightly shrunken but landscape video to post. I'm not sure why IG choices the square format. It's annoying. My Nikon doesn't shoot square & it's a bit of a learning curve when setting up your composition.

Guess I'm the oddball here, I have a spare 3TB HD and archive as much footage as will fit. Storage is cheap these days! Having to drive through areas with red light cameras and a cynical mindset, I like being able to review several months old footage if necessary. The flash is not always obvious during the day and it's not like you get the ticket the next day, or week even. Luckily, I haven't had to use it for that purpose yet.

KuoH

YouTube interesting ones.
Delete the rest.

As KamKar said......... Last year I put a 250gb SSD in this old lappy and no way I will fill it with useless stuff even though I have external HDDs and 64gb flash drives which I use to record TV.

155GB left as I speak and will use MS snipping tool for ease and space saving........ I got over storing stuff years ago but cant say the same for my man shed :D

Having to drive through areas with red light cameras and a cynical mindset, I like being able to review several months old footage if necessary. The flash is not always obvious during the day and it's not like you get the ticket the next day, or week even. Luckily, I haven't had to use it for that purpose yet.

KuoH
I do the same, as well as Sunpass toll booths.

Guess I'm the oddball here, I have a spare 3TB HD and archive as much footage as will fit. Storage is cheap these days! ...
Kind of the same thing for me. I do a fair amount of photo and video manipulation and have 2 2TB and 1 5TB external drives for backup and working space so I can save a lot of dash cam video, like way too much. :(

I copy the "events" folder and then select what are worth keeping. Due to pot hole here, only 1 out of 10. Of the ones I saved, perhaps 1 out of 3.

I have about 57 GB of files right now and I figure I could reduce that to a third.

My camera records 30 to 1 minute clips and I figure I have a hundred files where I only need 3 or 4 seconds from those clips if I make a video where I show my pet peeves or advocate for things.

When I exchange photos, I reduce them with Irfan view. FFMpeg reduces the file size of my videos a little, but not alot.

Guess I'm the oddball here, I have a spare 3TB HD and archive as much footage as will fit. Storage is cheap these days! Having to drive through areas with red light cameras and a cynical mindset, I like being able to review several months old footage if necessary. The flash is not always obvious during the day and it's not like you get the ticket the next day, or week even. Luckily, I haven't had to use it for that purpose yet.

KuoH
I considered doing that, but I can fill up a 32GB card in a day, and just copying that across to the PC takes too damn long.
I flag important moments using the button, later review the recordings and copy across what might be of interest.

I just just plug it in and let the file sync software do the job while I go watching TV or browse the web on one of my other laptops. In reality, I spend less time doing this than if I actually review the footage to decide what to keep.

KuoH

I considered doing that, but I can fill up a 32GB card in a day, and just copying that across to the PC takes too damn long.

Right now I have everything ever captured on my dash cam. I just never seem to have the time to go through and get what I want so I can delete.

Save what is interesting, and just delete all the rest.

Try to use the event button on the dash cam, to save the file when you get something interesting and let the dash overwrite all the rest.

If you want to store many terabytes of storage my favorite way to pool multiple drives into one drive letter is StableBit: http://DrivePool.com

Having said that, like everyone else said there usually isn't much of a good reason to share 100% of the uneventful videos long term.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
proliance Managing / Editing Videos 14
Back