What features do you want the most in a dash cam?

What features do you want the most in a dash cam? Pick up to four

• High Resolution Camera

• High Resolution Screen

• Easy to Extract Footage

• Discreet/ Hidden from the Driver's Sight

• Easy to Install/ Setup

• High Storage Capacity

• Wide Viewing Angle

• Rear View Cam

• Fusebox Plug

• Alexa/ Siri/ Google Enabled

Results are only viewable after voting.
What are the chances that somebody to edit better a firmware than Peter from Mobius?

Everything in this life takes a risk.
Yes, you are right. If for example you have no plans for spending the $100,000 from your bank account and you want to risk only $10,000 from them in an idea you believe or you like, I see no problem, enjoy your life.

Now just an example: my dream is to go on Miami beach because I saw some very nice pictures from there. I live at 8,000 km from Miami and I worked very hard for 2 years to obtain the money to go there. So I will go there in the middle of August.
What advice will give me a nice person which is living in Miami?

What are the chances that somebody to edit better a firmware than Peter from Mobius?

Yes, you are right. If for example you have no plans for spending the $100,000 from your bank account and you want to risk only $10,000 from them in an idea you believe or you like, I see no problem, enjoy your life.

Now just an example: my dream is to go on Miami beach because I saw some very nice pictures from there. I live at 8,000 km from Miami and I worked very hard for 2 years to obtain the money to go there. So I will go there in the middle of August.
What advice will give me a nice person which is living in Miami?
Of course you don’t put all your eggs in one basket!! There shouldn't always be a decent reserve.
It is possible OP has some sort of a plan cut ahead of him and plenty sure he will have lots of learning as he experiences it, but the most important part is that he has the entrepreneural spirit. Some would build wealth out of extreme poverty and a strong mindset.

I am sure my post is helping batbug because he will see also the scary part of his idea. For forum members is very easy to say: „yeah, add this, we like this, good idea” and take no risk.
And I will add this: if he found some online chinese manufacturer which is creating some public models available for anybody, that manufacturer will check all his demandings, will promise him all he wants. Then the manufacturer will say something like: MOQ is 10,000 pcs. His camera can look nice, working OK in his tests but what will do if will fail after 2-3 months because of some weak component?
I don't know his plans or his connections in dashcam domain, I am only describing some reality from this world.

To anyone considering entering the dashcam manufacturing business with a new model, I'd suggest you read the forums here about the JooVuu cam. Even knowledgeable well-intentioned people can find themselves trashed for things unseen which are beyond their control.

Every business venture is a gamble. A wise man never bets more than he can afford to lose, but to get an extraordinary win one must take an extraordinary risk. Your choice which way to go, you have my best wishes either way.

Phil

I think JooVuu entered into this forum with some too much advertising of the (possible) best of his brand which made people have too much expectations. Usually, when I see such behavior, I suddenly become cautious, trying to stay a little away from such projects so as not to be disappointed at the end. This is why I remained out from the all JooVuu story.

Based on linkedin informations, the owner of Joovuu was qualified to create dashcams. Specialties:
Product Creation, Manufacturing (China),
Sourcing products (China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan)
Car Cameras/Dash Cams, Action Cameras,
and Product Development

Another saga of a tiny startup is the Pandora palm top computer. Originator failed, and someone else completed the project and is close to production on its sequel the Pyra: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/

I think JooVuu entered into this forum with some too much advertising of the (possible) best of his brand which made people have too much expectations. Usually, when I see such behavior, I suddenly become cautious, trying to stay a little away from such projects so as not to be disappointed at the end. This is why I remained out from the all JooVuu story.

Based on linkedin informations, the owner of Joovuu was qualified to create dashcams. Specialties:
Product Creation, Manufacturing (China),
Sourcing products (China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan)
Car Cameras/Dash Cams, Action Cameras,
and Product Development
JooVuu almost certainly could have done what it promised had Dan been able to get the factory support they promised he'd get. He was warned about that but in his ambition he didn't heed the warning :( And in the tale there is much to learn about how to best deal with people and problems regards dashcams ;) It does seem he bet nearly all he had on the venture, and that left him without enough funding to do what was needed to succeed :( It was only years later when I learned of all the details involved and how one bad decision had such a big effect on the ending. There are cautionary tales of others, like the "Owl" cam which was almost nothing and the "Vava" which did actually get going, but took too long so it was surpassed by other cams by the time it hit the market :cry:

Others have succeeded with dashcams so the possibility is there and I don't want to discourage someone from trying, only to show them the risks and problems they will likely find in this very competitive field.

Phil

Thought of a few more things to add:
USB type C connector. Much more robust than the USB micro B connector, and somewhat more robust than the mini-B connector.
Also allows use of higher voltages than older USB devices. You can drive 12V into the camera and regulate it down to 5V in the camera avoiding entirely the problem of IR drop causing the camera to crash. Higher voltage also reduces the power dissipated in the cable.
USB Super Speed and UHS II memory cards. For those that use the camera as the USB card reader, this will allow transferring the data much faster. I have seen transfer speeds of 200MB/s with USB super speed and UHS II cards, I have seen at most 20 MB/s with USB High Speed (usually incorrectly called "USB 2.0").
I'd also like to see a full sized SD card slot. Full sized SD cards often have larger memory sizes available than uSD card slots. The only issue I see with this is that while there are UHS II cards in SD and uSD sizes, I've never seen an adapter that allows uSD cards to be used in SD slots that doesn't drop the communication down to UHS-1 speeds. UHS II has extra pins, and no adapter I've seen has the extra pins.

I had to scrap your list cause it was so 1980's
  • 8K footage
  • 240fps (yes, there is a difference)
  • Live connection to transport and vehicle registration database
  • Facial recognition for potential road rage
  • A.I deep learning, to detect for imminent vehicle collision
  • Weather forecast breakdown when I engage my transmission
  • Event recording for any driving behavior that may result in a collision – deep learning and A.I Algorithms would compliment this

• Haha
Reactions: Mtz
  • 8K footage
  • 240fps (yes, there is a difference
I can’t imagine how much storage that would take up for a 1-minute recording. My 4K cam has 415MB file sizes at the highest quality setting and 30FPS.

Just with frame rate alone, you’re looking at 3.2GB files for one minute recordings and that’s not accounting for the increased resolution. I believe 8k has four times as many pixels as 4k which would mean 4 times larger file sizes? That would a 12 - 13GB file for a one minute recording. With a 256GB microSD card you’d be overwriting the entire card every 21 minutes. If you locked some footage, then it would overwrite the rest of the card even faster leading to accelerated wear on the csrd.

Just with frame rate alone, you’re looking at 3.2GB files for one minute recordings and that’s not accounting for the increased resolution. I believe 8k has four times as many pixels as 4k which would mean 4 times larger file sizes? That would a 12 - 13GB file for a one minute recording. With a 256GB microSD card you’d be overwriting the entire card every 21 minutes. If you locked some footage, then it would overwrite the rest of the card even faster leading to accelerated wear on the csrd.
However, with the frames 8x more frequent, the amount of movement per frame is 1/8th, so there is the same amount of movement in total, which should require the same amount of storage! Only things that are not moving predictably in the extra frames will need extra storage, and with dashcam footage that should not be much, as long as you haven't got too much in the way of windscreen reflections causing overlayed images.

With the resolution, yes 8K is 4x more pixels than 4K, or 16x more than FHD, so it needs 4x more pixels to store the initial image, but then subsequent frames are stored as changes, not complete new images, and like the frame rate, nothing much is changing unpredictably, so we don't need 4x the data.

What we do want is a better codec, H264 was designed last century, we should have something better by now, time for AV1 to appear in dashcams...

I can’t imagine how much storage that would take up for a 1-minute recording. My 4K cam has 415MB file sizes at the highest quality setting and 30FPS.

I would expect 5TB microSD card support at a minimum and these will need to be high endurance.

It is easy to design a good product and find out there is a fatal flaw that was undiscovered until after the final product was released. JooVuu found this out to late and lacked the resources to fix the problems. In the end this years 4k dashcam will need to be replaced by next years 8k dashcam. The technology advances will always put the little guy at a disadvantage. Ask Jokiin about the problems he has faced in R&D getting dashcams ready for market. The technology and firmware can lag behind the developers desire to produce a product.

Last edited:
It is easy to design a good product and find out there is a fatal flaw that was undiscovered until after the final product was released. JooVuu found this out to late and lacked the resources to fix the problems.
JooVuu just chose the wrong SoC manufacturer, decided to believe their promises and to not believe the warnings from others, which was a poor business decision!

The technology advances will always put the little guy at a disadvantage. As Jokiin about the problems he has faced in R&D getting dashcams ready for market. The technology and firmware can lag behind the developers desire to produce a product.
Jokiin did a lot better, but I think lacked some buying power compared to some others which limited what he could ask suppliers for.

None of the dashcam manufacturers have real buying power though, dashcams are just a small part of the market for most of the components, the image sensors and processors are always going to be targeted more towards security cameras, and that is a big problem because they always have static background images and slow update rates, while dashcams have fast moving backgrounds and even faster moving items of interest to be recorded.

In the end this years 4k dashcam will need to be replaced by next years 8k dashcam.
An 8K (7,680) x 1080 extreme wide aspect ratio dashcam would be very nice to have, obviously in dual channel 2 x 200 degrees form to give a full 360 view with some side coverage. Nobody makes image sensors that shape though, and apart from dashcams there is little demand for that shape camera, so I don't think we will be getting one anytime soon, the sensor manufacturers are not going to make a sensor only for dashcams!

Back