What features from an action camera makes a good dash camera?

alecela

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Been thinking of getting dash cam/action cam combo. Besides loop recording, higher resolution and WDR, what other features would be useful/critical to have for dash cam purposes?

Dashcam needs a small built-in battery for safety concern, or ideal replaced by built-in supercapacitor in order to endure high working temperature.

Thanks. In that case, by default, the action camera would work with the built-in battery...

I would not combine the two, if you do use a action camera as dashcam you will be compromising, not least with low light performance if you get a high magapixel action camera.
Only way not to is the the 1080p action camera GIT1, but i am not sure how it will fare in the long run, if you want to be able to use it as action camera too and just snap it off the mount in the car, then you need to have the battery in the camera to be charged and ready for action, or the battery in a charger in the car ready for action.

but lipo batteries in dashcams are not recommended as the dashcams are in a place where there are high heat, and lipo batteries and high heat are not good.

Personally i would not combine the 2, get a good dashcam, then use phone or get a action camera too.

I have been using my GoPro Hero2 as a temp dashcam in our company trucks when I am sent out to a job. This happens to me about 4 times a year. There are too many issues when using it, thus I am going to be buying a suction cup dash cam. The main problem is heat. Mine has overheated several times while driving and stopped recording. I added some mounting links to move it out of the sun. This helps as long as you keep the cab of the vehicle cool. Just having the white truck parked for a half hour for lunch, it got hot enough to shut down the camera.
Running late for work here, good luck.

The mobius (1080p) is probably the only action cam that works well as a dash cam.

The mobius maxi (2.7k and 1080p higher specification) is still new and mostly untested but it may offer an option.

Mobius offers a specific to each camera super capacitor that allows you to remove the battery for in car dash cam use.

Back