What fuse amp do you use for hardwiring? Can fuse taps be safely used without plugging in the camera?

EvanD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I've got a B2W coming in the mail in a few days. It'll be my first dashcam, and I'm trying to make sure I've got everything ready to go for when it arrives. So, I've got a couple questions.

So far, I've purchased some fuse taps and a a circuit tester from BlackBoxMyCar. I've found the fuses I'll be planning on using for my 2013 Civic.
-Cigarette Power Socket for my constant power fuse
-Rear Passenger Window fuse for the accessory

Both fuse slots have 20A fuses in them, which I've put in my fuse taps in the first position (and found the positive/negative sides of each. From what I've read, I'll need an equal or lower amp fuse for the piggyback slot.

So, my questions:
1. How low of an amp fuse can I go with the B2W's fuse, and would anything be wrong with giving it a full 20A fuse (seems like a bit of overkill though)? What amp fuse did you use?
2. Would it be okay to leave the fuse taps, with the original fuses, plugged into the fusebox without the camera fuses for the time being? I tested them and they're receiving power when they should be, and the cigarette lighter and rear window are functioning like normal, but something about the uncrimped cable ends hanging free are making me nervous. I'd consider plugging them back in without the taps, but they seem pretty stuck in there.

I think that's all I've got for now. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum EvanD

I use 5 A fuses for the piggyback lead, and actually with the current setup that pull one dual channel system and one 3 channel system.
10A would be fine too.

2A is the minimum, and 5A is the maximum for the camera fuse. The max is due to the rating of the cable from the fuse tap to the hardwire kit, which could melt if kamkar’s 10A was put through it due to a short circuit, since this hardwire kit doesn’t have very thick cables.

You can leave the fuse taps in if you don’t have the camera fuse inserted, or if there is no exposed metal at the crimp end.

I tested my 4 Garmin 56 cameras. 1.4amps in total at maximum current. Used a 3.0amp panel circuit breaker.

2 to 5 amps. 5A will probably be easier to source locally.

Phil

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sounds like I'll be picking up some 5A fuses tonight, and the camera should be arriving tomorrow. I appreciate the help!

Back