What gauge is the cable & how long is it?

Vanquished

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everyone,

I have the B40/A118 dash cam, bought from Gearbest. I recently purchased a new vehicle and unfortunately I only have 2 DC outlets now (and only one that is on/off with ignition). As a result of this I need to combine cellphone and dashcam to one outlet.

Does anyone know what gauge wire the original charger is? Also how long is it? I'm looking at a 10 foot 22 Gauge USB-Mini USB cable but I want to make sure it's 'strong' enough to power this dashcam.

I do have the original cable but I don't have it with me and was looking to order the replacement cable today.

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

OP
Vanquished

Vanquished

Reaction score
Country
United States
The unit will probably only draw a max of 1A if that helps? I think 22 gauge will be more than enough.

Found this if it helps

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html

Thanks! I will be using it with this adapter (already owned) https://www.amazon.com/gp/B013QVDK2Y

I was looking at those first but I'm really interested in saving space. My Challenger (for as big a car as it is) has no storage space so the USB outlet adapter would be best for me. Also when removing the power cable from my Charger I had to cut it (couldn't get it out of the headliner) and splice it back together so probably best I get a new cable, lol.

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
do you have any electronics in the overhead console, such as sunroof controls, a trip computer, compass, etc? if you do, you could tap into that and use a mini-USB hardwire kit so that you don't need to use a lighter socket at all. just don't splice the usb cable directly into any car wires - the car runs in 12v, and usb is 5v, so you'll let out all the magic smoke from the camera. ;)

in my wife's highlander, i tapped into the sunroof controls, since they get turned off with the key. in my truck, i don't have a sunroof, but there was an optional overhead compass/temp display unit , and the wiring was already there, so i just tapped into that for dashcam power.

as an added bonus, you don't have to fish wires thru the dash or A-pillars!

OP
Vanquished

Vanquished

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got an auto dimming mirror with homelink and the 911 assist, but my challenger does not have a sunroof like my Charger did.

I trade cars so frequently though that I never like to make permanent changes (also always nervous about splicing the wires on a car lol)

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
I've got an auto dimming mirror with homelink and the 911 assist, but my challenger does not have a sunroof like my Charger did.

I trade cars so frequently though that I never like to make permanent changes (also always nervous about splicing the wires on a car lol)
If the auto dimming mirror was dealer-installed, it's probably already spliced in. The ones I installed at Toyota were. So you could probably tap into its wires inside the headliner.

OP
Vanquished

Vanquished

Reaction score
Country
United States
22 gauge will be better than what it comes with now

Cool, how long is the original cable? I know length makes a difference with regards to required gauge. What is the minimum you think I could do? Would 28 gauge at 10 feet be too small? The 22 gauge I had found was Micro-USB not mini-usb :( Thanks!

EDIT: The cable pictured at this link is the one mine came with: https://streetguardian.info/sg9665gps-single-cam.html

If the auto dimming mirror was dealer-installed, it's probably already spliced in. The ones I installed at Toyota were. So you could probably tap into its wires inside the headliner.

Factory option/standard, it's connected to the uconnect system (I can turn its dimming function off/on from the touch screen). So no go there, thanks!

FasrCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used a servo wires (bought on eBay) and removed a white one leaving it with two wires. One cable is 2 meters and the other (rear) is 4.
Works like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
Vanquished

Vanquished

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used a servo wires (bought on eBay) and removed a white one leaving it with two wires. One cable is 2 meters and the other (rear) is 4.
Works like a charm.

That's really cool. Would be a heck of a lot easier to get through some of the places I had to fish the cable through, lol.

I ended up buying a mono-price 10 foot mini-usb cable for $4. Works perfectly with my USB 12v charger.
Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390989683318
Thanks for the help!