What guage is the micro usb wire?

phjanak

Reaction score
Country
United States
What huage is the power cable that comes with the A119S? I wired it up to my fuse box with a fresh, long cable. But the cam constantly crashes and reboots. I read that the A119S is expecting thecwire to be a specific guage. Also, what minimum and maximum fuse should I wire the cam to? Cruz maybe that's the issue? I called the wire micro. It's not the thin connector found in phones. It's the middle road connect found in most Chinese products.

What huage is the power cable that comes with the A119S? I wired it up to my fuse box with a fresh, long cable. But the cam constantly crashes and reboots. I read that the A119S is expecting thecwire to be a specific guage. Also, what minimum and maximum fuse should I wire the cam to? Cruz maybe that's the issue? I called the wire micro. It's not the thin connector found in phones. It's the middle road connect found in most Chinese products.

what power supply did you use?

what power supply did you use?
I have it hardwired to a box(Power Magic Pro) that is hardwired to constant and not constant power fuses in my car.. The box let's me switch between the two power options. Truthfully, I am not exactly certain as to which size fuse I should be hardwired to. I believe currently I've hardwired both power leads to 10A fuses. Do you know if that is too little or too much?

Good to know. Thanks for the speedy reply.

BTW, aftermarket 22 AWG USB cables can be very hard to find.

The Viofo 119 series seems to be especially sensitive to wire gauge but in some instances you can get away with a 24 AWG cable if the length is short enough.
The best option (quality & price) is the USB-A to mini B 28/24 AWG cable (28AWG data/24 AWG power) available from Monoprice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5447

The Viofo 119 series seems to be especially sensitive to wire gauge but in some instances you can get away with a 24 AWG cable if the length is short enough.
The best option (quality & price) is the USB-A to mini B 28/24 AWG cable (28AWG data/24 AWG power) available from Monoprice.

Thanks for the fantastic info. I cantvrember the total le that of cable I used . But visualizing in my head I think it's about 7ft to 9ft in length. The cable following along the top edge of the front window. Down along the left edge of the window. Down through the dashboard to my switch. Which is then wirevto my fuse box.

Thanks for the fantastic info. I cantvrember the total le that of cable I used . But visualizing in my head I think it's about 7ft to 9ft in length. The cable following along the top edge of the front window. Down along the left edge of the window. Down through the dashboard to my switch. Which is then wirevto my fuse box.

The 24AWG Monoprice cable "may" or "may not" work for your Viofo. Then again, the Monoprice cables are cheap enough that it could be worth trying. When I tried a 10 foot Monoprice 28/24AWG cable with a Viofo A119 I sometimes experienced a flickering screen but the camera otherwise performed properly.

Why not just use the Viofo USB cable?

I believe @phjanak wants to use an alternative cable for hard wiring.

In my case, I experimented with an A119 as a right rear side cam and needed a spare cable to make the connection, not wanting to re-route the original cable that had already been installed up front.

Last edited:
Going by the original post, it sounds like he wired some kind of USB port into the fuse box? Doesn't sound like he used a hardwire kit. Spare Viofo USB cables (about 13' long) are available, so if he just needs an extra cable to go from the USB port he wired into the fuse box, buying an original Viofo cable may be the best bet. Though maybe I'm not following what exactly he's doing.

Going by the original post, it sounds like he wired some kind of USB port into the fuse box? Doesn't sound like he used a hardwire kit. Spare Viofo USB cables (about 13' long) are available, so if he just needs an extra cable to go from the USB port he wired into the fuse box, buying an original Viofo cable may be the best bet. Though maybe I'm not following what exactly he's doing.

Last I checked (some time ago) I couldn't find any spare Viofo cables available. That's why I used one from Monoprice. Glad to hear they are available now though. How much is the 13 footer?

I have them listed on eBay for $15, which includes shipping. Also comes with the 12V car adapter.

I have them listed on eBay for $15, which includes shipping. Also comes with the 12V car adapter.

Yikes! Well, I guess if you really need the 22AWG it's not all that bad. By comparison though, a really high quality 15 foot 28/24 AWG USB-A to mini-B from Monoprice with an integrated ferrite core, shielding and gold plated plugs is $2.39 plus a buck or two shipping. Their 10 footer is $1.89. I don't know how they do it but their cables are the cheapest and highest quality to be found. No 22AWG though. :(

EDIT: Glad to know yours are available for future reference.

I'm sure you could find the Viofo ones a little cheaper shipped directly out of China.

I'm sure you could find the Viofo ones a little cheaper shipped directly out of China.

I'd certainly be happy to purchase from you if I need on. If something goes wrong, you'll take care of it, I'm sure.
BTW, I notice your price is about 20% better than our other north American vendor (OCD), which is also a plus.
Finally, I'm right next door over in VT. :)

Last edited:

So i bought it, the cable from mono price. oddly, on the small end there appears to be what i guess is a capacitor built into the cable, its a large cylinder. I began to strip the wiring on the other end, But I'm left confused, the wires.....black, white, red, green. black is ground and red would normally be hot power. but i have no idea about what to do with the white and green wires?

So i bought it, the cable from mono price. oddly, on the small end there appears to be what i guess is a capacitor built into the cable, its a large cylinder. I began to strip the wiring on the other end, But I'm left confused, the wires.....black, white, red, green. black is ground and red would normally be hot power. but i have no idea about what to do with the white and green wires?

Firstly, that black cylinder on the end of the cable is called a ferrite bead or a ferrite choke. It's purpose is to suppress high-frequency noise (EMI) in electronic circuits such as ignition noise from your engine, for example. It is not a capacitor. Ferrite is a ceramic material made by mixing iron oxide with other metallic elements and baking them in a kiln. See "Ferrite bead" for more info.

ferrite_bead.jpg

Yes, the Black and Red wires are for power and ground. The other two wires, the White and Green ones are for data. Among other possible functions, if you connect your camera to a computer using a standard USB-A to mini-B cable like this to transfer videos from your memory card to the computer it is the white and green data wires that allow you to do that.

For your custom installation if you don't need the data connection you can simply clip off the white and green wires and just ignore them leaving only the power wires to run your dash cam.

usbwire-designation copy.jpg

Last edited:
very cool. thanks, I've done the custom installation once before. apparently forgot that the two extra wires were for data. good to know about the Ferrite bead. very helpful and what a super fast response.

Back