What happens if full of saved video?

You seriously think that looping just doesn't work? That's an extremely low expectation, even my no-name brand cheapycam can manage to delete the oldest recording if there's not enough space left.

I've spent many years working in software, looping should be a trivial task.

I'm pretty sure that what does cause understandable issues is a sudden power cut, as that leaves shrapnel of files behind and/or a messed up file allocation table. I'm hoping that the parking guard feature, while not being sold as such, is actually a much better better way of doing things than a capacitor. This seems to be the issue with my old one - it has a dodgy power connector and no working capacitor. After enough wobbles it tells me the card needs formatting so I'm assuming it gets into a mess.

I'd hope that the situation you describe would be another that the parking guard power supply takes care of.

When I described the failed super-capacitor I was responding to your comment about parking guard. I explained that not every situation involves parking. I was addressing the need to check your memory card periodically.

I was referring to your account of the (not very) super capacitor failing, the thing that has to supply the power to close files after you've pulled the plug by switching off the ignition.

Well, yes. That was what I was describing when I said I lost the last files of an incident that occurred a few minutes before returning home and shutting off my ignition.

I'm looking to find out what issues have and haven't been addressed by Garmin's software.

Well, that's not quite what you've really posited. You titled the thread "What happens if full of saved video?" which is a question that affects all dash cams regardless of Garmin's approach. This is why you've received the kind of replies you have which have recommended that you transfer your data off the memory card from time to time if you don't want to lose it.

You also made it clear you want a "fit and forget" dash cam and this too has nothing to do with Garmin's firmware, per se, it has to do with good practice rules of thumb in owning and operating a dash cam.

As for your allegation of being "keyboard-warriorish", I'm simply disagreeing with your premise regarding your desire for a "fit and forget" approach based on many years of hands-on experience with dozens of different dash cams.

As a long time member here I often find it amusing when a new member comes to the forum seeking feedback, advice or an answer to a question but then starts arguing with everyone's answers because it wasn't quite the advice they wanted to hear.

What a good reply.

Some of us have been here many years, seen and learnt from many scenarios so we can advise, in practice, what works and what doesn't.

We tried to inform that full cards cause lots of help posts.

I really don't understand why the OP asked a question when they already knew 'their' answer and refuses to listen to advice from years of experience.

By all means set your dashcam off and just forget about it ........ bye

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Dash Cam Mini 2 2
Back