What happens if you use a microSD card that's larger than recommended?

Horsepow3r

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I have an older DOD-Tech LS360w cam and the card I've been using has failed. I drive professionally and want to get a 256gb Samsung Evo Select card for use in that cam. Problem is, the largest card size I see supported is 128gb. So like the title asks, what would happen if I put that larger card in the camera for use? Will it work but not use the entire storage area? Might it use the entire storage available? Or will it simply not work at all. Thanks!

This is what happened to the last guy that tried it.

nuke-shot1.jpg

Actually, I would like to know what happens as well.

Personally I have seen random (and perhaps non-random) read/write errors, files split for no reason, and just plain card failure whether it be at the start or once you get going. Of course larger cards run a different format also, so format errors would be the first potential problem. Bottom line is this- go with what's recommended or experiment at your own risk.

Good luck!

Agreeing with Triggerfish but if I had the card I'd try it, as most cams other than Blackvue don't seem to suffer any permanent harm from these attempts. At worst you may have to re-flash the firmware if it fails, so have the loader and firmware saved and ready on your PC before trying.

Phil

I have a dash cam that said max 64gb micro sd, since SDHC is 32gb max, SDXC is 64gb+ I put in a 128gb memory card without any issues, uses all the 128gb space. Just need to have it formatted corectly for your dash cam. However each dash cam is different, some can have certain locks i guess placed by the manufacturer

Back