What is currently the best Front/rear dash cam?

iDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've not been keeping up to date, a few years back it was Street Guardian. I need a new dash cam for a new car.

I'm wondering if that is still the case or is there something better?

I would want a Front and Rear dash cam. Price doesn't matter.

If it is street guardian, what model is the best?

Thanks for advice here.

Might help if you read that first and then clarify what you are looking for a little more...

I've not been keeping up to date, a few years back it was Street Guardian. I need a new dash cam for a new car.

I'm wondering if that is still the case or is there something better?

I would want a Front and Rear dash cam. Price doesn't matter.

If it is street guardian, what model is the best?

Thanks for advice here.

This is analogous to saying what's the best car out there? You'll now get 100 opinions that offer little or no help. You need to tailor the question to be more direct.

1. Do you want a Front Camera Only?
2. Do you want a Front + Rear Camera?
3. Do you plan to hardwire the camera?
4. Do you want parking mode support?
5. If not hardwiring will you use a battery or 12V power?
6. Do you want 1080P capture for both cameras or a 4K Front / 1080p Rear?

Answering the above questions might help get you in the directions you're aiming for. I.E Constructive feedback.

I think he have a DC

did you have one of our cameras previously?

And to build on Jokkin's question, which model? Giving him some feedback will help get a replacement tailored to your current need.

And to build on Jokkin's question, which model? Giving him some feedback will help get a replacement tailored to your current need.
it helps to know what was used previously, we also offer discounts to return customers

it helps to know what was used previously, we also offer discounts to return customers

And what his current need is at the moment. A vague I want a Dash Camera doesn't give much to go on either.

Front and rear dash cam. I don't need parking mode.

I don't care if I have to wire it if it will be "the best".

What do you guys consider?

The dashcam which I am currently using is a front/backup mirror dashcam. You can also use it as backup camera too. It looks like this.

1583993403851.png

The best image quality will be with Viofo, either the A129 Duo for it's reliability or the A129 Pro which still has a few issues but has the best image quality of any dashcam today. If you want great video with top build quality and reliability, then SG is still the go-to for that. Blackvue has better connectivity features and Thinkware isn't far behind, but their image quality still lags when you pit them against the A129 Pro and they have reliability issues. IMHO the A129 Duo is currently the best "bang-for-your-buck" in a 2 channel dashcam.

The best image quality will be with Viofo, either the A129 Duo for it's reliability or the A129 Pro which still has a few issues but has the best image quality of any dashcam today. If you want great video with top build quality and reliability, then SG is still the go-to for that. Blackvue has better connectivity features and Thinkware isn't far behind, but their image quality still lags when you pit them against the A129 Pro and they have reliability issues. IMHO the A129 Duo is currently the best "bang-for-your-buck" in a 2 channel dashcam.

Couple of points. The Thinkware works with a cloud model. However, the flaw here being for this to be viable, it'd need a constant internet signal. Otherwise, being able to remote in and watch videos live is useless. Most connected vehicles only provide internet when vehicle is receiving power from battery or started. So the only resolution would be to hardwire a hotspot to the fusebox and select a plan that allows for unlimited data.

Definitely a far more expensive option, but probably the best available for those who wish to monitor their vehicles from afar.

Local storage options, I'd definitely recommend Street Guardian Cameras, Viofo A129 / Viofo A129 Pro. I believe the Street Guardians are on spec with the Viofos, except no 4K model exists quite yet. Street guardian support is fantastic @jokiin is a very active and involved member on the forum.

I use this dash camera now. 7 Inch Touch Screen with 170° Wide-Angle Lens Front camera and 120° Waterproof Rear camera. It's great, and easy install.

Attachments

• BACKUP CAMERA.jpg
    BACKUP CAMERA.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12
I use this dash camera now. 7 Inch Touch Screen with 170° Wide-Angle Lens Front camera and 120° Waterproof Rear camera. It's great, and easy install.

I believe these cameras requiring drilling a hole and placing a grommet to seal the hole in order to install the rear camera???

Back