What is the basics of setting up the GPS unit?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I just finished installing my SG9665GC V2 this afternoon. I didn't have a chance to road test it out yet, but I noticed I have a "No GPS" message on the screen.

For now I did not permanently attach the GPS to the windshield. I used some painter's tape to hold it against the glass in case I need to move it. Tomorrow, I'll drive into work. This will be the test. Hopefully I'll get a signal lock and then I will be able to permanently mount the GPS where it is.

Questions:
1) Some of the other threads talked about "flipping" the GPS. What is this? How o I know if I need to flip? How is it done (by taking GPS apart as I saw in another thread)?

The manual says "the GPS should be mounted with the adhesive side down so that the antenna is oriented correctly". The adhesive is on the "back" of the GPS (obviously the "glass side").

2) I don't know what is meant by "adhesive side down". I didn't see any sort of arrow. Please explain, or better yet, or provide a picture of what "down" is.

In my case I have the GPS mounted in the upper right corner of the windshield. Since the cable is tucked into the headliner, the GPS module is mounted with cable on the top. There are no black dots or paint/tint at the top of my windshield where the GPS is located.

3) Which way does the GPS cable need to face - up or down? Does it matter?

Thanks

The SG9665GC V2 stock you have now, most likely has a long cable and is meant to mount to the dashboard with the GPS logo facing up towards the sky. (so signal is captured by the directional antenna) If it's short and only reaches the upper right corner of your windshield, you have the new pre-flipped GPS. There is mixed stock out there now.

If you have the original long cable version and want to mount it upside down against the windshield, you can do 2 things.

1 (easy/ugly'ish) move the 3M VHB adhesive to to stick the GPS logo against the glass. (4 screws then exposed below, ugly'ish)

2 (clean method) you can open and flip the PCB inside.

All future batches of cameras (by X'mas) will include a shorter GPS cable and it will be pre-flipped for easy windshield mounting out of the box.

My GPS unit had a sticker that says "Note: This GPS is the window mount type".

I found this picture in the manual I downloaded. Shows cable coming out the side.

GPS Placement Pic.JPG

Looks like you have the pre-flipped short one then. (no need to flip anything, it's ready to mount)

FYI: Here's how the dashboard mount would look if you have the longer original version.

EVKe7Kl.png

I just went out to my car to take a closer look. I see now that the words "GPS" are stamped on the case. So to have the GPS letters facing 'upright", I need to have the cable coming in from the bottom (not the side as shown in the picture above).
My cable is not long enough to get to the lower right corner (like in your picture).

If it works okay in the upper right corner, that's where I plan to install it. But I would rather have the cable coming in from top (cleaner look) so I may need to "flip it". I'll know more tomorrow when I road test.

Thanks.

You have the new pre-flipped version that should have stamped GPS logo on the plastic case facing towards the ground. This is confirmed because:

1) the cable is shorter and doesn't reach the dashboard

2) Your GPS unit had a sticker that says "Note: This GPS is the window mount type".

So no need to flip or it will be wrong if you do

Cable out side vs bottom doesn't matter at all. That simply rotates and has no directional change. Have the cable out the top of you wish, no problem. Don't open and flip your particular new GPS though.

Last edited:

I found this picture in the manual I downloaded. Shows cable coming out the side.

View attachment 26359

then it just sticks directly to the window, direction of the cable has no relevance, in that photo there was an easier spot for the cable to exit from under the trim on the side than the trim above, just do whatever works for your vehicle

Here is a photo of the new short cable window mount GPS the comes pre-flipped for Windshield mounting. (GPS logo aimed down)

4bd4c5268462526e8dc94318bc12058b.jpg

I drove into work now, and it doesn't look like I'm getting a GPS lock.
The screen says "No GPS".
What will the screen show if the GPS is connected? Should I see my "MPH" on the screen?

Also, I still have GPS mounted to windshield with painter's tape. Could that be a problem (not removing 3M backing)?
Does the GPS unit need to be square/aligned to the windshield or would it still work if it were at an angle?

Make sure it's plugged into the center "IN" hole closest to the power and not the AV out port (on right)

The "no GPS" icon should be a red or green signal icon once plugged in properly. Also make sure it's pushed in far enough. Green = Good / locked

You guys provide the best support I've ever come across. Thanks.

I'll check the things you mentioned above the next chance I get to go out to the parking lot.

Make sure it's plugged into the center "IN" hole closest to the power and not the AV out port (on right)

The "no GPS" icon should be a red or green signal icon once plugged in properly. Also make sure it's pushed in far enough. Green = Good / locked

make sure also to plug and unplug any cables before attaching the camera to the mount bracket

Isn't there also an option in the menu to enable/disable the GPS? Appreciate it wasn't the issue in this case but might be useful for others reading this in the future?

Yes you can disable GPS in the menu or simply unplug/not use it. (Not required) It is nice to have the date/time be in perfect sync though automatically when you do use it. (In addition to the logging)

Anyone know if the 9665GC on Amazon is the version with the short gps cable? That's the one I've been looking for but Pier28 / Streetguardianusa web site is unreachable.

Double check with @streetguardianusa but the stock on Amazon right now should be the version you're looking for

Anyone know if the 9665GC on Amazon is the version with the short gps cable? That's the one I've been looking for but Pier28 / Streetguardianusa web site is unreachable.

90% of the stock on Amazon.com has the new short cable. If you get a long one let me know and I'll send you the short one.

The new Magento 2.0 advanced web site is in development. StreetGuardianUSA URL is supposed to redirect to streetguardian.ecrater.com in the short term but there is Verisign DNS problem preventing the redirect. (Should be fixed after the weekend)

Back