What is the best quality 2014 Dash Cam?

JordanIsCool

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new HD Dash Cam for a brand new car. I'm wondering what the best dashcam on the market is today. Price is not a problem at all. Which dashcam has the best picture quality. I'm not interested in a battery powered dashcam.

Thanks for your help :)

2014 is still young, so we don't really know quite yet. Some new technologies are finally coming online like the A7 family of chipsets.....and member Jokiin's GuardTrak models are the ones to keep an eye on for "best quality 2014 Dash Cam". Time will tell.
You know, this might be a better question for the end of the year but I can understand as this is your first post why you might ask this question.

Check out Lukas, Powerucc and perhaps Mobius depending on your needs and interests.

Thanks Dashmellow,

I'm looking at buying one during this summer. Are there any US companies that are producing high quality HD dashcams? All the ones from china etc seem very low quality. You can really see license plates for instance unless your right behind the driver. I'm looking for something with great quality, a fast refresh rate, and good day/night footage. I was thinking something of that caliber would be in the $300-$500 range, but could be worth it if you witness a crime.

All the ones from china etc seem very low quality. You can really see license plates for instance unless your right behind the driver.

Not true. Don't make judgements based on YouTube clips, which degrade the original video quality. Get a better-informed opinion by reviewing RAW clips from...

http://www.techmoan.com/downloadable-samples/

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/side-by-side-comparison.66/ (look for niko's posts with links to original footage)

I can think of one or two sub $75 cameras that can embarrass some $200+ cameras in terms of licence plate clarity, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add in the Vicovation Marcus 3 to the list. 1296p Extreme HD or 1080p 60fps with an A7 chip is impressive. Vico has a good reputation for making quality cameras.

Jordan nothing beats a good amount of reading and homework. Even if you buy what most say is the best, it still may not be right for you and may cause frustration. There is a lot to see here, yet definitely take the time to read and take notes about each camera. It will help you get the right camera and have a smooth experience.

I had an email from Lukas last week saying that the 9700 duo for the western market will be available mid year.It is the the full package version I am waiting for though, GPS OBD2 etc.They will email me when the release date is due.....Ipol

Just checked the Lukas site and you can now download the english version manual for the 9700 duo clicking around I found a list of cars that the OBD2 supports including GM chevrolet plus several eastern produced car and a section showing what OBD2 functions are working in these cars at this moment in time ....the site is lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_9700duo.html for those who might be interested........ there is a dash between blackbox_ 9700duo that is difficult to see due to the red underlining the same as between product_info But I am sure the actual camera with western market capabilities is still being refined.... The camera has a supercap and a lcd touch screen 3.97 inch diagonal. At the end of the day there are a lot of excellent dashcams out there now, so it no doubt come down to personal preferences....... Ipol

@GJHS the VicoVation Marcus 5 looks like an amazing camera. Too bad it's coming out in late 2014. I would love to pick that one up, but for now the Marcus 3 looks great. Does anyone like that camera if they own it?

Not true. Don't make judgements based on YouTube clips, which degrade the original video quality. Get a better-informed opinion by reviewing RAW clips from...

http://www.techmoan.com/downloadable-samples/

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/side-by-side-comparison.66/ (look for niko's posts with links to original footage)

I can think of one or two sub $75 cameras that can embarrass some $200+ cameras in terms of license plate clarity, etc.

i agree the links are what i used to pic my camera i sorted through the idiots on youtub and found techmoan

no personal just facts pics and reviews its always how fancy do you want gps super high quality video all that

i found the camera in my name info on sale 45 us dollars no problems yet

but i do expect some examples my rear camera is into the head liner rear defrost dont go that high i may have to buy one of those blower units

front camera same fog ice etc and with the permanent mount stuck to windshield you have to take it off to see menus or anything

but im still happy and dont regret my choice its just find as much info ratings here and other sites

@GJHS the VicoVation Marcus 5 looks like an amazing camera. Too bad it's coming out in late 2014. I would love to pick that one up, but for now the Marcus 3 looks great. Does anyone like that camera if they own it?

Jordan, @CheckYourLights has the Marcus 3 and has the TF2+. He is a great person for Vicovation questions.

Take a look at the Vicovation section, there are some good conversations on the Marcus over there.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/vicovation.25/

Keep a look out for the new Mini 0803 that is coming out probably by the end of this week. It has the same extremely small and rigorously tested exterior as the high quality Mini 0801, and has updated A7 chip to give it Wide Dynamic Range capabilities. Follow our website at www.BlackBoxed.ca to see when it is ready to shipping.

Also, we have the Lukas LK7900 ACE in stock too which has amazing video quality.

Kelvin

...the same extremely small and rigorously tested exterior as the high quality Mini 0801...

It's funny how people's perceptions vary. When I think of the Mini 0801, terms like 'rigorously tested' & 'high quality' don't come to me. Instead, I get 'made by multiple manufacturers with varying & incompatible hardware & firmware specifications', 'fragile camera to dock connection', 'flaky firmware', 'beware the counterfeit clones', etc.

My perception may be out of date. The Mini 0801 reached second place on my shortlist when looking for a DashCam last year. I followed the 0801 threads for quite a while after I made a different purchase choice, but had to stop as reading about the frustrations of owners trying to make it work reliably made me feel like a voyeur.

Not forgetting that DCT threads are not necessarily indicative of the average owner experience, as the satisfied majority generally say nothing, while the dissatisfied always post about their problems.

I hope that the 0801 is now a fully-sorted, hassle-free, 'rigorously tested' (by owners if not by manufacturers) & 'high quality' product. I remain doubtful about it, & wonder if it's 0803 successor will be much the same?

the 0803 is a lot different product, it's not quite sorted yet, still some things to do, mass production hasn't happened as yet as it has been pending some fixes, the ones that are out now are pre production hand samples only, with any luck the last of the fixes will be confirmed this week and they will be prepared for mass production, a few weeks on before that stock starts to get out in the market

As a member of the satisfied majority I have posted feedback regarding my purchases, but am well aware that other members have experienced disappointment even though they have purchased the same dashcam models as myself .I suspect some of it is down to being unlucky enough to receive one of a bad bunch which unfortunately happens from time to time, at the same time we are at the mercy of rip off cloning by re-sellers that not only make you extra cautious but are a thorn in the side of the honest and conscientious manufactures and retailers. Ipol

but for now the Marcus 3 looks great. Does anyone like that camera if they own it?

I have had my Marcus 3 for about a week now. With it being such a brand new camera there are a few small issues that need to be addressed and VicoVation is looking into things.

When I first got my M3 I was a little surprised. Maybe it is in part from coming for a TF2, but when I opened the box I thought Damn this thing is tiny. Most of the pictures online kind of make it seem bigger than it really is. It also retains a screen and I have always been a screen person when it comes to my DashCams.

I am currently having issues with my 64GB micro card. VicoVation is already aware some users are having trouble, and are trying to get a new firmware out sometime this week . Also my video timestamp looks a little rough, but with this camera being based on such a new chipset and running the initial firmware it's kind of expected. I'm overall happy with my camera and as soon as these few things are addressed it will definitely be my preferred goto camera in my car.

I also love that my rearview mirror mount works as long as i swap the joint part of the new bracket over making mounting, at least for me, as easy as could be.As well as giving new owners a few more mounting choices.

When I first bought my TF2 I bought it because I was tired of messing around with lowend junk and wanted to just suck it up and buy a nice camera. Now that it has worked so well for me and I have seen first hand how well Vico handles support and issues it has kept me coming back for my WF1 and now Marcus 3.

I'm not much for brand loyalty. I've gone through a few cameras, and their are other good cameras out there as well such as what jokiin is working on as well as the Panorama jokiin linked to that RoadCam offers, but I do like my Marcus 3 and I am excited to see how much improvement can be made and what Vicovation can do with it.

:EDIT: Finally fixed my post had some crazy tag codes all over the place from the way it was trying to post the quote

Last edited:
the 0803 is a lot different product, it's not quite sorted yet, still some things to do, mass production hasn't happened as yet as it has been pending some fixes, the ones that are out now are pre production hand samples only, with any luck the last of the fixes will be confirmed this week and they will be prepared for mass production, a few weeks on before that stock starts to get out in the market

I hope that mass production means produced by one factory or, if not, at least that all genuine 0803s will use the same lens, processor, cmos & firmware. I also hope it comes 'consumer-ready' & won't, like the 0801, need the help of enthusiasts like JazJon to fix what should've been fixed before it was put on sale to the public.

there are a few factories that have access to buy this product from the original manufacturer, quite a few people deal with the assemblers that do this model and are not aware that they are not the actual manufacturer, core components are the same but where things sometimes fall over with the 3rd parties involved is with things like using a lower quality car charger, poor quality power supply leads to stability issues, the bit of hardware which some of these resellers have in their hands now is pre production and not the final spec model, be careful where you source from I guess

Back