What is the current multi-channel state-of-the-art?

rjk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Back in 2014, there were a few threads where we discussed the possibility of dual or quad 1080p systems with remote lenses, but the manufacturers posted and said to wait because something better would be coming soon.

Well, it's almost 2017 and I haven't been following any of the threads, so can anyone bring me up to speed on what the current best and greatest options are? I'm looking for dual or quad systems, with all remote lenses, all running at 1080p 30fps and great bitrate. Is it available yet, or still coming soon?

The Koonlung K1S would meet your criteria for 1080p 30fps with both cameras being remote.

The Blackvue dr650gw-2ch would be another choice however the front camera is not remote but it's pretty discrete.

You will have to wait until the summer of 2017, by then the SG dual remote camera model should be ready to ship.
And i do hope other brands will follow SG in that direction, but so far i am not aware of others with plans like that.

All current dual channel cameras still seem restricted in one or more ways, most prominent is limitations on bitrates on footage from the 2 cameras.

So far, the best thing I have found looks like the QVIA AR790. Even though there have been no reviews, it's made by a reputable manufacturer, so I am going to order one and see how I like it. It has a very nice compact size that I like.

I think the AR790 will be good to you, Lukas/qvia seem to be alright on the ball with their products.

And is something better turn up and money is no big problem you can always give the Qvia to a loved one and enjoy the gift of giving.

For the upcoming SG Dual Channel --- if there is an option to mount the rear camera outside the car, this opens up the potential owners to those consumers with convertibles and commercially for truck drivers. For the manufacturer, I would think a simple upgrade to the wire and an optional waterproof housing would seal the deal. Thoughts?

For the upcoming SG Dual Channel --- if there is an option to mount the rear camera outside the car, this opens up the potential owners to those consumers with convertibles and commercially for truck drivers. For the manufacturer, I would think a simple upgrade to the wire and an optional waterproof housing would seal the deal. Thoughts?

initially no, but we do have a waterproof housing available that we will be able to use that is compatible with our hardware so it's something that we will most likely offer as an option later on

http://www.navman.com.au/
Back in 2014, there were a few threads where we discussed the possibility of dual or quad 1080p systems with remote lenses, but the manufacturers posted and said to wait because something better would be coming soon.

Well, it's almost 2017 and I haven't been following any of the threads, so can anyone bring me up to speed on what the current best and greatest options are? I'm looking for dual or quad systems, with all remote lenses, all running at 1080p 30fps and great bitrate. Is it available yet, or still coming soon?
In Australia the Navman brand has a new 2 camera model & i am seeking reviews . Dual GPS & Dashcam with rear camera.http://www.navman.com.au/

video quality is not too bad on these, maybe even ahead of some of their more costly competitors, build quality is good, design isn't the best and also has a battery which isn't good in our climate
I presume it is expected the SG will be better .I like the GPS included as my car GPS is 3 years out of date & no update is available at reasonable cost. .The Navman i have now updates monthly on the PC , free ,especially the red light/speed camera locations plus all the new road changes. So a combined GPS/Dashcam sounds a good idea. I mount my main dashcam now on a beanbag style mount ,Arkon & put it on the floor when parked. Mobius with capacitor The second one is on the rear seat headrest post, out of most sunshine & with capacitor.I am in Sydney.

I presume it is expected the SG will be better

that's subjective I guess, what one person likes the next person doesn't, I'm sure people won't like our product and prefer some other model for various reasons, there's no one size fits all product but choice is a good thing

.I like the GPS included as my car GPS is 3 years out of date & no update is available at reasonable cost. .The Navman i have now updates monthly on the PC , free ,especially the red light/speed camera locations plus all the new road changes. So a combined GPS/Dashcam sounds a good idea. .

Navman do have a GPS with built in DVR, the challenge is the ideal place to mount your GPS and the ideal place to mount a dashcam are generally two different places, would probably be ok for a truck or bus where low on the window won't obscure your vision and still has a decent view of the road for the camera, I don't feel it's a good solution for the average car but to be fair I don't think Navman were intending that anyway

Yeah i think thats it, the 51 in the model number make a bell ring here at least.

An interesting concept if it's well executed. My problem with it would be that leaving it mounted around here is almost a guarantee that someone will smash your window to grab it for drug money sooner or later. I don't dare even leave my cheap, ancient, and obviously worthless Nextar GPS mounted because of that. Might do well in better neighborhoods ;)

Phil

I really think the Garmin or any other for that matter NAV unit with dashcam, it should have the camera unit on a wire, cuz often you will have the NAV unit installed in a place where a dashcam will be useless.

But other than the poor executed idea i think the concept of combining the 2 is excellent.

I would make a docking cradle for the NAV unit so that when you click in the NAV unit it get contact to the camera and the power, this way you just have to unsnap the tablet like NAV unit when you park your car.

That would be a good way to do it :) Maybe in their next version- this one is probably 'locked in' on design already.

Phil

Back