What is the very best dual dashcam and how to power it ?

Talay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So what is the best ?

I want a screen, so that rules out a lot but dual HD with the very best picture and probably a decent card capacity to cope with multiple days of video.

Looking to hard wire and add length to recording with multiple power packs (which ? how ?).

I am more concerned about recording when my vehicle is parked and people hit me and drive off as we've had 5 of these in the last couple of years.

Again, within reason, money no object.

Thanks

requiring a screen really narrows your options and eliminates some perfectly good cameras. and it raises the cost a not-insignificant amount. besides - if you need to get any real detail (which you will in the case of a hit n run) such as number plates or a person's face, you'll need to put the memory card in a PC anyway. in my experience, trying to play back a video on the dashcam itself is usually an exercise in futility. the menus are always very fiddly and non-intuitive, and it's not always easy to find the file you want, especially if you're sitting on the side of the road, frazzled, after a crash.

look into solar battery maintainers if you really need it to run 24/7, as a dashcam can kill a regular car battery in 2-3 days or maybe even less depending on the size of the battery and weather conditions (cold = weaker battery). and make sure whatever camera you buy does NOT have batteries, but uses super-capacitors. not good to run battery cams constantly.

The rationale for a screen was to be able to come back to the car, see it damaged and view who did it, just in case the culprit was parked in front !

You would be amazed how many times small framed drivers of very large 4x4 vehicles don't actually know they have hit something. Without a screen I would need to go to a third piece of kit.

Ideally I would be notified via my phone if there was an incident.

Or just pop out memory card and put it in phone or maybe car headunit to review footage on the spot. ( those are my personal options with a HTC smartphone and a dual DIN headunit that can play movies via the build in memorycard slot )

Anyway you cant see much on the small low res dashcam screens, they are mainly there to aim the thing and do the settings of it.

Notifications to your phone is far avay on affordable consumer dashcams, and i think as long as you capture the licenceplate it should not be needed.
Here i find its more often the sides of my car that get banged up from ppl yanking ther car door up and slamming it into the side of my car, i have not detected a single hit on the front or rear end of my cars.

Then again i dont bother too much about such things, even though my car is brand new and i have paied for 3 cars to get that one car due to our insane tax system here.

Many dash cameras in the market have motion detectors and wifi for you to check on the videos.
However, the numerous days you want to record require a very large GB memory cards and it will be costly.
And the range is a problem too, you may unable to check on the videos when your range is too far away from your cam.

Here i find its more often the sides of my car that get banged up from ppl yanking ther car door up and slamming it into the side of my car, i have not detected a single hit on the front or rear end of my cars...

Yep and in a perfect scenario, I would have at least 4 x cameras but battery drain and inability to recharge is the issue.

Many dash cameras in the market have motion detectors and wifi for you to check on the videos.
However, the numerous days you want to record require a very large GB memory cards and it will be costly.
And the range is a problem too, you may unable to check on the videos when your range is too far away from your cam.

Not worried about cost, only performance.

Yep and in a perfect scenario, I would have at least 4 x cameras but battery drain and inability to recharge is the issue.
Two car batteries connected via battery solenoid is most practical solution. Main car battery serves for car use, 2nd car battery for your 4x dashcams.

Two car batteries connected via battery solenoid is most practical solution. Main car battery serves for car use, 2nd car battery for your 4x dashcams.

Agreed but nowhere to put second battery. Pretty much settled on Cellink B plus Expansion for power but still need the camera / s.

Night vision seems to let a few down to be honest and low bitrate on others.

Ideas ?

Agreed but nowhere to put second battery. Pretty much settled on Cellink B plus Expansion for power but still need the camera / s.

Night vision seems to let a few down to be honest and low bitrate on others.

Ideas ?
Cellink B is also a solution, but I am not sure how safe is to leave Lithium Iron Phosphate based batteries for summer weather in car powering 4 dashcams at once. Never had experience with Cellink B. Of course it all depends on area you live and how hot it may get in summer.

Cellink B is also a solution, but I am not sure how safe is to leave Lithium Iron Phosphate based batteries for summer weather in car powering 4 dashcams at once. Never had experience with Cellink B. Of course it all depends on area you live and how hot it may get in summer.

Seems to be the "best of a bad bunch" option but no visible or viable alternative seemingly available in the short term.

I'll put batteries in the glove where it is always around +10/15c

Seems to be the "best of a bad bunch" option but no visible or viable alternative seemingly available in the short term.

I'll put batteries in the glove where it is always around +10/15c

Glove box is good place. After some real-life tests plz get back with your experience. I was always tempted with Cellink B, but never got "the shot" on it.

Glove box is good place. After some real-life tests plz get back with your experience. I was always tempted with Cellink B, but never got "the shot" on it.

Happy to but first we need a couple of cameras ?

Yeah, variety is big. Depends on your personal preferences.

I would have thought easy as no budget constraints, best HD available front and rear as pre requisites.

I would have thought easy as no budget constraints, best HD available front and rear as pre requisites.
I still have same "dilemma" like you in search of perfect multichannel car dvr, but unfort. there are no solutions pf 4ch out there yet that could meet my personal requirements.

The best closest to my needs I see 4 x single dashcams with pre-buffer recording + dual car battery via selenoid. But in your case Cellink B should also work fine.

As per dashcams choise with pre-buffer motion detection parking mode recording and stealth design, most practical for my self personally I see SGZC12RC. In your case 4x pcs. Yes, it requires some simple DIY set-up / installation, but its the only stealth-looking solution with pre-buffer parking mode recording at the moment out there.

Take a look at set-up in my car ( 4 x pcs ) if thats what suits your needs ?

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...c12rc-remote-lens-sony-exmor-imx322-wdr.8500/

So far the dual-channel cams have not kept pace with the single-channel ones, especially regarding the rear-cam vid quality and bitrate. That is why most just use 2 better individual cams instead. I do believe that Blacksys has a cheaper model on sale in the UK which seems to be decent for the money (around 100 quid IIRC) so you might look into that one. To get much better in a 2-channel cam will cost a lot more and won't be that much better. We've all been screaming for a really good 2-channel cam but so far nobody has listened- maybe someday they will.

Phil

Back