What is your take on others (such as news outlets) using your videos

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Howdy:

I have been approached having someone use on my videos. I don't have a problem with my videos being used as I want to encourage the use of Dash cams and if it gets out there in the media, perhaps other people will feel inclined in investing such a device.

The person was willing to license it at a fee, making it more attractive.

Anyway what your take on this.

If you can make some money I see not reason not to do it. Make sure your butt is covered from a legal perspective though. In the license agreement insure that you are indemnified from any liability resulting from the use of your videos.

It will be worth the time/expense in having an attorney review the agreement before you sign. Make sure it's an attorney who is knowledgeable and experienced in intellectual property.

If you have only a few videos don't bother, if you have +100 maybe then.
Personally i don't think/believe they will pay very much per video.
And whats more, video is not yours anymore after you sell it.
They ask me also and i didn't want to sell it.

And whats more, video is not yours anymore after you sell it....
If you sell it that's true but if you just license them to use it you still retain full ownership. One of the reasons having an attorney review things is necessary.

It is refreshing to hear that someone actually went to the effort to contact you about using your video. More often than not these days people appropriate other's work off the internet for their own personal or commercial use as a matter of course. In my personal experience, I have regularly had people make use of my copyrighted imagery on the internet, magazines and even on TV without permission or payment even when it includes a prominently displayed copyright notice. Many times, even with a registered copyright and an attorney involved it ends up not being worth the cost to recover what is owed or protect it from future use.

In one example, a photo I shot of an unusually large and beautiful looking carrot ended up advertising a brand of carrot seeds in Romania.

In one example, a photo I shot of an unusually large and beautiful looking carrot ended up advertising a brand of carrot seeds in Romania.
Yeah, if it's misappropriated and used off-shore you're pretty much SOL. :(

The only upside is that you probably were not going to sell/license in that market anyhow.

Thanks, it won't be alot of money and I think having a lawyer review it may slow down the process and put me in the red. I think I will have my wife review the agreement with me. We seem to observe things the other spouse overlooks.

I have a lot i share on youtybe, and if anyone can use it when i say go for it.

Thanks, it won't be alot of money and I think having a lawyer review it may slow down the process and put me in the red. I think I will have my wife review the agreement with me. We seem to observe things the other spouse overlooks.
If you go that route make sure there is an indemnification clause in the agreement. If it's not there you could be held liable in any number of legal scenarios.

I've had one 'news agency' ask about one of my videos. My main concern was whether it was genuine. I don't want to hand out personal details to someone contacting me via YouTube.
It could easily be some nut job with a dislike of something he's seen.
Other than that people can use my videos as they please. I pretty much accept that as soon as I post them online.
Now if I captured something truly newsworthy I would handle it differently.

I would let them have the video if they agreed to blur out some details like car's plates and such so no one would feel they were being targeted by having them end up on 6:00 news.

Dash cam is fairly uncommon in USA. If more people sees that cam can be in any cars, not just the police car and other city or state vehicle, they may just be less likely to do dumb things like illegal U turn or blow red light.

To make an account, its username and password. The verification page then asks for much more detail, such as full name and phone number, but not birth date.

I have two gmail accounts. One personal, and this one for dash cams. I don't mix my photos or videos. I want some degree of anonymity with my dash cam activity.

This is funny part
  1. If you break (these terms) you pay.:mad:
  2. Enjoy using Newsflare!:)
Yes reading the terms.

What troubles me is
  1. You submit Material to our Website on an exclusive basis unless otherwise stated in writing by Newsflare.
Do they mean everything I shoot or just what I submit? If I record a crime or an accident on my dash cam, I want to provide to the police as soon as possible, at no charge. Before newsflare came around, I would have no problem with the local media using my videos.

After a quick review of the terms as posted on their website I see no real advantage in dealing with them.

The biggest problem I see is the default is you are indemnifying them. In simple terms this mean if they get sued as a result of using your video you agree to cover their costs. If it were me I'd run, not walk, away. Just my thoughts...

Haven't filled in the form yet with my name and details. I will pass on this.

I try to stay kind of anonymous with my videos.

Has there ever been a case of any one suing due to recording a dash cam video? I know there has been lawsuits over tweets people have made in twitter.

Has there ever been a case of any one suing due to recording a dash cam video? I know there has been lawsuits over tweets people have made in twitter.

I imagine it may have happened - if not in a dash cam video but video of some type.

I assume Canada is not all that different than the US (other than you guys talk funny up there - hey? ;) ). If that's the case then anybody can sue anybody else for anything at any time. All it would take is someone being recognized in a video in what they consider to be an 'embarrassing' situation and it's 'game on'.

Back