What kind of dashcam to get with around $100?

norafrase84

Reaction score
Country
United States
My GF recently got her first brand new car which I want to help protect her from any scams, or accidents. I've had my car swiped on the front right bumper only 1 month into owning it, many dings and scratches on it, my brot https://19216811.cam/ her has also has th https://1921681001.id/ e whole side of his car swiped by a drunk unlicensed, uninsured driver. Anyways, what I want to ask is what kind of camera is good for around $100 budget? Can go some more if the benefits of a more expensive camera are worth it. Mainly looking with decent quality during day and night, not worried about getting a rear camera. Audio is optional but not needed unless it's something that is recommended. Also, if it's possible, one that starts recording when it detect motion? Maybe like someone trying to break in. I know this is a long read but any help would be great.

Last edited:

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Quoting myself from another post:

The 70mai Smart cam, the "Lite" from the same company, the Aukey DR05, the DDPai Mola M3, and the B1W are all in a similar price range and for a bit more the B2W does 2K. Never been a better time for budget-friendly cams

These are the cheapest cams I can recommend, all under $100 and there are some more good choices at or just above $100. Do keep in mind you'll need a microSD card of good quality (not just any card will work with dashcams) and it will need to be of a size that won't be overwriting older video clips before you want that to occur. Also if you want parking mode you'll also need a hardwire kit (HWK) with most cams at extra cost.

Phil

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Motion detect in dashcam parking mode, is just about the same as letting the camera record all the time at least if you live in a town / street with normal levels of activity.
Most often any little motion will set off motion detect, only in really rare cases have dashcams been made with motion detect inadequate low motion detection, the rule of thumb is it is too sensitive even set to low.
So for parking guard i prefer to do always record in low bitrate ( save on file size and camera heat generation ) and if possible pair that with G sensor to detect if the car get bumped.

If you are going to use parking guard, then at the very least you will want to use a 128 GB memory card,,,, and larger like 256GB will not hurt, just have to be sure it is supported by the camera model.

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Viofo A119 V3.
I honestly would not consider anything else in that price range.
It's somewhat over $100 but I agree- The V3 is the best mid-priced dashcam and the best value-for-cost of any dashcam at any price.

Phil

Lothar

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's somewhat over $100 but I agree- The V3 is the best mid-priced dashcam and the best value-for-cost of any dashcam at any price.

Phil
It's under $100 today and has been so for a majority of the past 6 months.

Of course getting a few optional additional accessories like CPL filter and Hardwire kit will slightly increase the cost over $100.
I didn't get the idea from OP that $100 was his absolute max figure, especially when he uses the word "around $100" which could mean anything plus or minus near that figure and also mentioned "...Can go some more if the benefits of a more expensive camera are worth it."?