What kind of functions do you guys expect from a dash cam?

Regan Shu

Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
Crosstour CR900
What kind of functions do you guys expect from a dash cam?:):):)

I expect it to record video and audio showing what happens in front and behind the car.

That's about it really, I don't use them for anything else.

In addition to reliable video recording I find GPS to be a plus because it insures the date and time are as correct as is possible, which could be important in the event the video is needed for insurance/legal purposes.

Yes what the 2 above said, reliable recording of video and audio + GPS, outside of that i would also like a few OBD information in the footage ( brake use- steering angle - indicator light use )
And then all of those things to be absolute as good as they can be, image quality and camera reliability must be perfect for over 2 years of use.

Other : stealthy install, remote cameras on a wire, hidden main unit, maybe with M2 or SSD for storage, only smart needed is in the process of getting footage of main unit and onto a USB memory key you plug into main unit.
Higher than today bitrates ( 30 - 40 Mbit on each camera / H.264 can be less if H.265 )

What kind of functions do you guys expect from a dash cam?:):):)
Protect my vehicle when it is most vulnerable - any time it is parked - other than in the home garage.
Most insurers have largish deductibles - mine has a minimum deductible of $600.
That can end up in a very expensive shopping trip - or doctor's surgery visit in our case.
Happened to our 3 year old car recently and avoiding a repeat was the primary reason for the purchase of a 2ch dash cam.
The criteria was number plate recognition - at which I felt the 4K Blackvue was superior.
Of course that it a matter of opinion.
But no point purchasing any dash cam if the number plate recognition is not right up there - for that I believe 4k is essential.
Other bells and whistles - GPS, speed , red-light cameras I have had on my Garmin car GPS for years - are expensive add-ons.
In any event the main focus should be on the road ahead - in fact on 100 metres ahead - not on some fancy in-car kit.
If an accident/incident happens it goes to a special folder you can review at home with a calming scotch in hand whilst you plan your revenge against the jerk that caused it.
With the best unchallengeable witness evidence possible - camera footage.

Last edited:
1) Clear sharp daytime & nighttime image able to clearly capture license plates without motion blur.
2) Clear alerts when something is wrong (bad memory card etc).
3) Continue to record for at least 1 minute after loosing power, able to properly close the last file in the event of power loss
4) Watchdog timer to reset the camera if the processor crashes, with a loud beep to let you know that this has happened.
5) proper file timestamps even when the GPS receiver is not working.
6) Support for very large memory cards (I'd be happy with SD cards rather than uSD cards).

My experience with dash cams is that they all fail to record in some circumstances. Most fail with no warning and no indication that they have failed. Perhaps the ideal would be an alarm that will sound if it has not been pinged for more than 1 second. This should sound immediately on power up and stay on until the processor pings it, and will go off again if the processor has not pinged it in more than a second.

New dashcams / hardware will beep if something are wrong, but yes with old cameras this was a problem and back then it was even more important to look over your memory card now and then.
I also think current cameras will reboot and try to record again if they have encountered a problem.

Back