What kinds of cables, to mount A118C as rearcam on MiniVan?

frances763

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have a A118C which i want to use it as rear cam on my Honda Odyssey. I am not good at mechanics. I only know to buy a longer extension cables to plug it at the adapter at the front. The longest cable I can find is 15ft, which is not long enough.

Please help/advice what kind of cable I need to purchase to get the rear cam to work?

doesn't your van have a 12v "lighter" socket in the back? my 2008 toyota sienna has one. that would make it very easy, no need for extension cables.

otherwise you might consider a hardwire kit, and then you can just use speaker wire to extend the 12v wiring going to the adapter.

Reactions: csh
My Van is 2005 model, I don't recognize it at the back. I will try again to look for it. But if there isn't one, the hardwire kit method is quite difficult steps to me. I have no idea how to do it. I watched some videos on youtube.

I thought the extension cables plug to the front outlet is the easiest way to me.

well a 15 ft extension combined with the 10 ft of the original cable ought to be plenty to get to the front of the van. on my sienna, the 12v outlet in the back has a gray flip-up cover to match the gray interior, and it's not far away from the cargo area light on the left wall. obviously hondas will probably look different, but if it's there, it's probably not hidden. perhaps just a little recessed so cargo coming in or out won't snag on it.

Thank you Gibson99, I will look carefully again.

You can find 25ft USB to Mini USB cables on Amazon. Or maybe even check out monoprice and see if they can cut you a longer cable.

Then you can grab a decent USB car charger and plug into that. I plug my A118 into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00D82O68Y and don't even use the included power supply. It's cheap and has dual 2.4A ports. So the bottom one is powering my dash cam, the top one I use for my phone. You could use it to power both a front and rear dash cam if you wanted.

I just find using a car charger a lot more convenient and less bulky than the included power supplies.

UeViHPD.jpg

doesn't your van have a 12v "lighter" socket in the back? my 2008 toyota sienna has one. that would make it very easy, no need for extension cables.

otherwise you might consider a hardwire kit, and then you can just use speaker wire to extend the 12v wiring going to the adapter.

Speaker wire you say? Never thought of that. Just for information what would be max speaker could take?

Speaker wire you say? Never thought of that. Just for information what would be max speaker could take?
Because of all the vibration and possibility of sharp metal edges etc, you should use automotive cable, normally easiest to get a roll of red 2Amp automotive cable to run 12V to near the camera and then use a hardwire kit or a cigar socket and the standard adaptor. You don't need to run black ground (0V) cable all the way, just to the nearest earth point (screw connected to bodywork).

Because of all the vibration and possibility of sharp metal edges etc, you should use automotive cable, normally easiest to get a roll of red 2Amp automotive cable to run 12V to near the camera and then use a hardwire kit or a cigar socket and the standard adaptor. You don't need to run black ground (0V) cable all the way, just to the nearest earth point (screw connected to bodywork).

Great advice, thanks

... you should use automotive cable, normally easiest to get a roll of red 2Amp automotive cable to run 12V to near the camera and then use a hardwire kit or a cigar socket and the standard adaptor
Yes, I think that this solution will be more correct, because the voltage drop (loss) on the lower voltage circuit of 5 volts will be more noticeable than in the 12 volt circuit. And the standard adaptor located near to the dashcam can compensate for these losses in the circuit 12 volts. Usually, many standard adaptor work correctly and output exactly 5 volts at an input power of 6 to 24 volts.

i used 14 gauge wire (left over from installing surround sound speakers in the ceiling of my living room) to extend the lighter socket wires to the back of my small SUV (rav4) and then connected a hardwire kit to that. so i'm not extending the 5v wire; only the 12v one.

Any ideas if the A118C has any limits regarding the length of the cable? Purchased a 4.5m long one, but apparently it's not enough for a rear mount in a Megane hatchback...

Back