What micro SD (HC/XC) cards work well in the Marcus4?

mrtivo601f

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can those of you with a Marcus4 provide your experiences with the type/make/size of micro SD cards you are using.

I have tried a Sandisk Ultra 32GB card, which works well, but due to the amount of storage, starts to overwrite files after about 3 days of my normal commute or less at the weekend. Sometimes this is too short a time to extract any video I want to keep.

I moved up to a Sandisk Ultra 128GB card, but this seems to lead to corrupt recordings after a number of files have been created. From memory, the first 16 files play fine, the 17th and subsequent files can not be played by Registrator or VLC, either from the SD adapter via the camera, as a USB drive or on the camera itself. Registrator is unable to repair the files either.

This could (and more likely is) a problem with my PC being unable to read SDXC cards, but I wondered if anyone has manged to reliably make recordings on 64GB/128GB cards, and what make/type/class/size they were, so that I can eliminate where the problem might be.

Ideally I'd like to go to 128GB, but if not, 64GB will be an improvement over what I can store right now, without carrying multiple SD cards.

My Marcus4 is running 4.7G firmware. The cards were formatted in the camera.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I use a Transcend 64GB card in my Marcus 3 and have had no issues after I updated back then to the firmware that fixed card support (3.1G for the Marcus 3 at the time I believe

Amazon ASIN: B00CHHTOII
Item model number: TS64GUSDU1E

Have you run the 128GB card through h2testw as those symptoms sound like it may be a fake / upgraded card?

Can those of you with a Marcus4 provide your experiences with the type/make/size of micro SD cards you are using.

I have tried a Sandisk Ultra 32GB card, which works well, but due to the amount of storage, starts to overwrite files after about 3 days of my normal commute or less at the weekend. Sometimes this is too short a time to extract any video I want to keep.

I moved up to a Sandisk Ultra 128GB card, but this seems to lead to corrupt recordings after a number of files have been created. From memory, the first 16 files play fine, the 17th and subsequent files can not be played by Registrator or VLC, either from the SD adapter via the camera, as a USB drive or on the camera itself. Registrator is unable to repair the files either.

This could (and more likely is) a problem with my PC being unable to read SDXC cards, but I wondered if anyone has manged to reliably make recordings on 64GB/128GB cards, and what make/type/class/size they were, so that I can eliminate where the problem might be.

Ideally I'd like to go to 128GB, but if not, 64GB will be an improvement over what I can store right now, without carrying multiple SD cards.

My Marcus4 is running 4.7G firmware. The cards were formatted in the camera.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I suspect the card is your issue.

We have had a couple of issues with people using Sandisk (and one other branded card) in Vicovation cameras including the Marcus 4. Not sure if their cards were real of fake. Symptoms include what you have described here plus in one case the camera running hot and or shutting down. On each each occasion we have recommended they switch to a Samsung brand class 10 card and it solved the problem. I would be surprised if you have an issue running a 128GB samsung card in your Marcus 4.

Good call by reverend.

The media is likely to be defective.
6.8 GByte OK (14378177 sectors)
118.1 GByte DATA LOST (247753535 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
118.1 GByte corrupted (247753535 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001b6c98200
Expected: 0x00000001b6c98200
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 16.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.0 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So it indeed looks like the card is duff. Time to go back to the shop and get a replacement, or even swap to a different brand.

Thanks for your assistance.

128GB card taken back by the shop and now have a 64GB replacement, and some shop credit. Things looking much better now. Thanks for the replies. The M4 really is a good camera, could do with less compression on the video stream, but much better than spending the money on a cheaper camera, IMO. There are still some bugs to work out though.

Can anyone confirm that a 128gb samsung card is working with M4? I have a 64gb SanDisk and it s not enough for me while using Smart Parking feature, I live in a busy area and I got around 600 videos a night.

tested and working just fine for 100%:
Samsung 128GB (very recommended) high performance, no problems at all...

out.php

ADATA 128GB (very recommended) high performance, also very good heat resistance - no errors even at direct sun (temp up to 85degrese??) no problems at all...
[expensive but the quality is worth the price]
also i have got ADATA 64GB no problems from 3 years...

ad.jpg

Kingstone 128gb - so far so good...

k.jpg

Sandisk 128GB - absolutely rubbish! i had 3 of them (all genuine & tested) all gone, from after 1-4months...not recommended! legendary sandisk quality is just a myth....the same situation with 64GB (Sandisk Brand), I had 2 of them (all dead),
Sandisk 32GB - not too bad, just one gone from two ;)
not recommended for any Car Cameras....

san.png

Last edited:
To very much for this information, I bought a 64gb SanDisk card for my m4 based on some official site information... The reading and writing speeds while in SD adaptor are low, and based on what I read till this moment my restarting issues are caused by the card as well. Will get a Samsung microSD asap.

Quick Update

I have bought a ADATA 128gb card because I couldn`t find Samsung at that time and the camera started to have issues with the card, worked slowly , had lots of artefacts on saved files, and after 2 weeks it bricked the card . I can`t format the card using default formater from windows or other programs like sd formatter.
I have to give the card back to warranty now but I can`t find original package at the moment ... somehow that plastic stuff is important :)) .
I start wondering if the camera is at fault here but my warranty has passed anyway.

I have been running a Lexar 128GB SD card for about a month, and I am starting to get multiple reboots on power up, and also blocks of recordings that are blank or missing.

Running a hardware test on it now, but for reliability I am thinking of going back to my 64GB Sandisk card. This is the model I bought.

Lexar Professional Class 10 UHS-I 633x Speed (95MB/s) MicroSDXC Flash Memory Card - 128 GB

Hi guys! 64GB memory cards are the maximal recommended capacity to be used on Marcus 4 at the moment. However, we are working on an update that's going to allow the device support 128GB.

Does anyone know if 128GB card support is in any of the firmware updates, above 4.7, or if the high capacity cards are better supported? I've read the release notes for the newer firmware, but there is no mention of 128GB support or implied. My Lexar card continues to cause the camera to reboot, periodically, until a format is performed. Card has been verified as good, and all the files can be read. I just want reliable recording, because we all know that the one time the camera is in the middle of a reboot, I'll need the recording. Ordered a Samsung 64GB EVO Pro as a stopgap.

On the subject of firmware, is there a compelling reason to upgrade from 4.7 to any of the later releases?

Back