What mobius and lens do you recommend?

Ziquillito

Reaction score
Country
Spain
G
Good morning.

Last week I discovered the great mobius camera. I've found out he's got different glasses. I've seen videos, I've seen photos, but I recognize that I have no knowledge of photographs and videos; that's why I'm asking you for help.

Using the camera:
One camera I'm going to ride in the saddle and another on the handlebars of my bike. I need my 2-5 hour walks to be able to identify the license plates for security. I use the bike on sunny days, clouds or sunset. Never at night or rainy.
I'll use 1080 recording and looping.
Here in Europe the license plates have the big numbers, which will help the camera.

Since I have no knowledge I will not configure the camera settings every day, I will look for a standard value setting (sharpness, saturation, contrast) for all uses.

Doubts:
Maxi or mobius 1.
Lens for mobius 1? (A2, C2, D, other)
Lens for maxi? (A, B, other)
In 1080, recording with 60fps of maxi will be better than 30fps of mobius 1?

Thank you

Hola Zinquillito.

The mobius are a nice little camera, but it can not record for 2 hours on its own, and surely not 5 hours, so you will also need a power bank ( i assume one with 2 outputs as you want 2 cameras )
So you need some way to have the power bank and wires on your cycle too, not a big problem just something to be aware of.
The mobius cameras have 1 settings memory so you can have the one setting be 1080/30 and the other something else.
When using a mobius for my car i never really messed much with the other image settings, but there are a range of them for sure, but standard should be just fine to get started.

60 FPS dont really matter, unless you want to be able to slow down things, for plate capture 30 FPS should be just as fine.

Regarding the lenses i dont really know, my mobius was the old kind with the B lens that have not been sold for ages, but some other guy can probably say more on this.

Hola Zinquillito.

The mobius are a nice little camera, but it can not record for 2 hours on its own, and surely not 5 hours, so you will also need a power bank ( i assume one with 2 outputs as you want 2 cameras )
So you need some way to have the power bank and wires on your cycle too, not a big problem just something to be aware of.
The mobius cameras have 1 settings memory so you can have the one setting be 1080/30 and the other something else.
When using a mobius for my car i never really messed much with the other image settings, but there are a range of them for sure, but standard should be just fine to get started.

60 FPS dont really matter, unless you want to be able to slow down things, for plate capture 30 FPS should be just as fine.

Regarding the lenses i dont really know, my mobius was the old kind with the B lens that have not been sold for ages, but some other guy can probably say more on this.

thank you kamkar1 for your comment.

Yes, I need to use powerbank, possibly 2 powerbank, one for each camera.

Probably every powerbank will use 2 18650 batteries that I have at home, 3.7v and 2500mah each.

I have a lot of 18650 cells too,,, and 26650 for that matter.
If you can find a USB power bank that take a couple of those, then yes it will probably just be 1 USB port on it.
You will add weight, but if you are recreational cyclist that will be no problem, if its for a Vuelta stage then i would do without batteries and cameras :)
I have cycled many many 1000 KM myself when i was a kid / teenager, 100 km in a day was no problem

With the original Mobius, the "A" lens gives a 90 degree FOV. It tends to give sharper more clear images. The "C" or "C2" lens gives closer to a 130-135 degree FOV. The "B" lens has been long discontinued. Some early "C" lens cams didn't perform as well as expected, which is why they switched to the "C2". You won't encounter the old version in buying a new cam, whether called "C2" or "C", all will be the new lens. I think the Maxi is similar.

The Maxi isn't a bad cam, but it has a few issues and limitations, and because of that I recommend the original version for daytime use. It does not do as well at night or with very low lighting conditions, for those the Maxi will be a better choice. There is a learning curve with either of these, the "msetup" program running on a PC or laptop is needed to make menu settings and adjustments easily, but a limited range of choices can be made using button presses on the cams. It's not hard to learn, only a different approach than other cams use. There is an Android app made for this but I haven't tried it. I think a MAC program is also available.

If you take the time to optimize the settings to your conditions, these cams will give the best vid quality you will find for the sensors and processors being used in each. They are very robust and durable cams which should serve you well in the way you want to use them.

Phil

Yes, I need to use powerbank, possibly 2 powerbank, one for each camera.

Many, if not most power banks these days have two USB ports, so you could run both cameras from the same bank for many, many hours. A small power bank of about 5,000 mAh would be a good choice for your needs.

Back