What phone is best for recording?

helpmeout

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like my iphone but its quality sucks even though it can capture in 1080p. I have an Iphone 5s so I wondering of getting the galaxy s5 to replace my iphone 5s as a dashcam.

It's fun to play around with a smartphone as a dashcam, but long term it's a bad idea in my opinion.

1) You might be in a hurry and not have time to set it up. (this is when you miss a moment of truth, Murphy's Law)
2) There are many reports of phones over heating when left in the direct sun. They are not designed to be used in direct sun light for long periods of time

Getting a true Set-it and Forget-it dashcam appliance is the way to go if you're serious you wanting dependable video you can count on when it's needed.

It's fun to play around with a smartphone as a dashcam, but long term it's a bad idea in my opinion.

1) You might be in a hurry and not have time to set it up. (this is when you miss a moment of truth, Murphy's Law)
2) There are many reports of phones over heating when left in the direct sun. They are not designed to be used in direct sun light for long periods of time

Getting a true Set-it and Forget-it dashcam appliance is the way to go if you're serious you wanting dependable video you can count on when it's needed.
I don't want a real dash cam. I want a phone that I can take out and put in my car every time I am going somewhere instead of getting a dash cam because I will be lazy and just put it in there and someone will break my car window just to steal it so I would rather just get a phone that has a better camera for recording. What do you think of the galaxy s5?

There are many stealthy glass hugging dashcam products that have quick release lift and go.

I've been following dashcam progress for the last 2 years, and you always see smartphone users giving up the smartphone as a dashcam dream after awhile.
(again over heats, or too lazy to set it up every time)

I know you can find good deals on used smart phones though. Give it a shot, good luck with your project.

I have the Galaxy S5 and would NOT use it as a dash cam. I play little games on it here and there and in about 10 minutes the whole device is warm. I can only imagine what would happen with it sitting in a window while also recording for x amount of minutes.

I also use to take my phone down to the pool. I'd hide it under the shade and in a towel, but in 90 degree heat the screen would fritz and refuse to make calls etc. This was while it wasn't even doing anything.

If you are persistent about using a phone as a dash cam I would at least suggest getting some type of mount that attaches to the headrest of your car and not putting the phone it in direct sunlight.

Here is an example of what I mean:

index.jpg

Thinking bout getting me an iphone 6 plus. I will dim the screen down so it won't be that hot and I turn up the ac when its hot so the sun shouldn't be of much problem.

Thinking bout getting me an iphone 6 plus. I will dim the screen down so it won't be that hot and I turn up the ac when its hot so the sun shouldn't be of much problem.

None of that will matter when it's placed on the dash in direct sunlight. I don't understand wanting to use some $700+ iPhone over something made to do what you want for $100, but too each their own.

It's not the screen that generates the heat, but the high current drain and CPU utilization needed to process and save the videos. You can turn on the AC, but unless the phone is going to be sitting right in front of the vent, it won't be much help. Just keep in mind that this is a sealed phone, so when the battery starts to puff up due to the heat stress, you won't be able to simply pop off the cover and put a new one in. Don't say we didn't try warn you.

KuoH

Just don't. I used a Galaxy S5 as a dashcam for a while, and while the quality was decent, the phone would heat up a lot, and you have such a limited degree of vision that anything that happens slightly to your side, you won't see, you only see literally straight.

I got a $50 dashcam instead and it's much, much better.

Last edited:
Use your cell phone to take pictures of the damage to both vehicles & license plates and individuals involved in the crash.

That's where cell phones with good quality cameras prove their worth.

NONE...
Already killed two batteries of Galaxy S2 and Note 2 when using as a dashcam briefly.
The battery swell was so bad it popped out the back cover. :mad:
At least it didn't push towards the front and crack the screen.

I use a THL 5000 as dashcam, because my smartphone has a 5000 mah battery. FPS is poor at high quality (10 fps) and night vision is really poor. Every time I drive I have to manually start the recording. I'm using Trigger with a NFC tag (so starting the app is quicker) and DailyRoads Voyager for recording. I had to root the phone (not so easy) to enable some useful tips.
I agree with other members, a dashcam is a better solution and your life will be simpler and easier.

I use a THL 5000 as dashcam, because my smartphone has a 5000 mah battery. FPS is poor at high quality (10 fps) and night vision is really poor. Every time I drive I have to manually start the recording. I'm using Trigger with a NFC tag (so starting the app is quicker) and DailyRoads Voyager for recording. I had to root the phone (not so easy) to enable some useful tips.
I agree with other members, a dashcam is a better solution and your life will be simpler and easier.
I see your battery exploding soon. ;)

My battery is still alive and works fine. I don't charge my phone while it's recording. I every day record at least 60 minutes of video and in the same time I use Waze as navigator.

I recently leave Trigger and installed Tasker. With Tasker, when my phone detect the first NFC tag, tasker do these ops:
- awake display
- close all opened apps
- disable wifi (but my location settings still use WiFi and it's ok)
- enable car mode and dock mode (hands free mode and horizontal mode)
- start DailyRoads Voyager
- wait few seconds
- start Waze

I also used a second NFC tag and I use it to reverse this mode. It works quite well but, as I said, quality isn't good at all ...

My battery is still alive and works fine. I don't charge my phone while it's recording. I every day record at least 60 minutes of video and in the same time I use Waze as navigator.

I recently leave Trigger and installed Tasker. With Tasker, when my phone detect the first NFC tag, tasker do these ops:
- awake display
- close all opened apps
- disable wifi (but my location settings still use WiFi and it's ok)
- enable car mode and dock mode (hands free mode and horizontal mode)
- start DailyRoads Voyager
- wait few seconds
- start Waze

I also used a second NFC tag and I use it to reverse this mode. It works quite well but, as I said, quality isn't good at all ...
How do you directly detect nfc tags with Tasker without Trigger?

Using NFC tasker plugin, called "NFC for Tasker". I also installed "Secure Settings" plugin for Tasker (both free). Maybe I could share my profile, I worked hard on them ...

Not required for me specifically, but no objections.
Currently I'm only using the NFC tag to detect that it's in a car while being unlocked. This is being triggered by Trigger, which starts a Tasker task, which launches Waze.
Starting up Waze triggers another task with Tasker (with the help of a profile, which detects Waze being active), which then starts a service, which in turn sets up a mock location with NMEA data from a bluetooth GPS provider (a little project of mine).
When Waze stops being on the front, the service is automatically stopped.

Back