What phonecamera has cycle recording as standard feature??

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Does anyone know of a decent phone-camera that has cycle recording as a standard feature??

Why?

Because dashcam apps may not be able to use all features in the built in camera frame/software.

Really, just being able to cycle record / overwrite oldest clips of 3-5 min would be a great feature, and not hard to implement by the manufacturer I guess.

So, does anyone know of a decent phone-camera that has such a feature??

Re: What phonecamera has cycle recording as standard feature

dirkzelf said:
Does anyone know of a decent phone-camera that has cycle recording as a standard feature??

not aware of any camera phone that does this

It's all about iOS or Android these days when it comes to a full featured phone. The only way you can force a set it and forget it auto record operation is to Jailbreak or Root your iPhone/Android device. (and create a launcher to make it start when it's plugged in, or when it detects your car's bluetooth etc)
(or RFID etc)

JazJon said:
It's all about iOS or Android these days when it comes to a full featured phone. The only way you can force a set it and forget it auto record operation is to Jailbreak or Root your iPhone/Android device. (and create a launcher to make it start when it's plugged in, or when it detects your car's bluetooth etc)
(or RFID etc)

It's not about auto starting the recording, only to be able to use CYCLE RECORDING.

I.E. recording clips of 3 or 5 minutes, and store on SD, overwrite oldest when card full or when max storage is reached.

Look at the app threads there are dozens to choose from on ios and android, not sure what's unique about your request that's not already covered in the threads comparing various dvd apps.

JazJon said:
Look at the app threads there are dozens to choose from on ios and android, not sure what's unique about your request that's not already covered in the threads comparing various dvd apps.

There are many car dvr apps like dailyroads, videoreg etc, but I'd like to know if there are smartphones supplied ex factory with a camera app that does cycle recording, so NO 3rd party apps, but stock camera apps. Hope you understand.

dj

Have never seen that function built into a mobile phone, wrong target market I expect

Nope they always come with a very basic camera app. Why is it so critical to be stock vs installed? What's the benefit/difference?

JazJon said:
Nope they always come with a very basic camera app. Why is it so critical to be stock vs installed? What's the benefit/difference?

I have noticed that 3rd party apps don't do a good job, well, on my phone anyway (LG P990, or Speed 2X).....

I know it doesn't have the best camera but, for example, the framerate drops to 14 fps when recording in low light conditions, using both DailyRoads and Videoreg.

Besides the phone itself can record in 1080p, but 3rd party apps freeze when I try to do that, even in broad daylight....!

If manufacturers would build in that DASH CAM feature then we can be assured to get the best performance, and be sure that we can use the camera in that setup to the full potential.

However, if the 3rd party apps do a good job on i.e. Nokia Lumia 920/925/1020 or Sony Xperia Z, than that might be acceptable to me as well, but I dont see great results yet on youtube or elsewhere.

If they would implement cycle recording/overwrite clips of 3minutes each would be great already.

Better even with some additional features like user defined maps, maximum amount of stored data, time/date/gps stamping, retain current and previous clip, to name a few.

dirkzelf said:
JazJon said:

I have noticed that 3rd party apps don't do a good job, well, on my phone anyway (LG P990, or Speed 2X).....

I know it doesn't have the best camera but, for example, the framerate drops to 14 fps when recording in low light conditions, using both DailyRoads and Videoreg.

Besides the phone itself can record in 1080p, but 3rd party apps freeze when I try to do that, even in broad daylight....!

If manufacturers would build in that DASH CAM feature then we can be assured to get the best performance, and be sure that we can use the camera in that setup to the full potential.

However, if the 3rd party apps do a good job on i.e. Nokia Lumia 920/925/1020 or Sony Xperia Z, than that might be acceptable to me as well, but I dont see great results yet on youtube or elsewhere.

If they would implement cycle recording/overwrite clips of 3minutes each would be great already.

Better even with some additional features like user defined maps, maximum amount of stored data, time/date/gps stamping, retain current and previous clip, to name a few.

Well it's a crap shoot with Android phones/apps being so fragmented. The Dev's get lazy and dont really test out there apps on every single phone since there are so many. I've toyed around with Android but it's just too un-refined feeling. I'm a jack of all trades IT support guy and nothing beats my jailbroken iPhone 5 in form, function, universal compatibility (since it's so popular), and reliability. I refuse to give all this up for more openness. That gap has been filled with jailbreak for me.

But yeah back to your question, all you can do is put the suggestion out there and hope it makes it into future phone cam apps as a feature. So the answer is no, but at least you made the request.

Back