What resolution do you use?

FLDJF713

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I'm trying to determine if I should use the 2560x1080 for a wider view, or stick to HDR with 1080p. What are you all currently using?

From all the footage seen so far I feel the 2560 x 1080 mode is best overall from this camera

The 2560x1080 mode records at sensor resolution, it is the highest resolution available, every other mode is scaled down thus loosing detail.

I've not experienced any improvement by using the HDR mode and it doesn't appear to do as good a job of merging bright and dark areas as the 2560x1080 mode which always gives a smoother more natural looking dynamic range.

Try them all, and then choose the mode you prefer, my choice is 2560x1080 for all circumstances other than the race track in which case the 45 fps mode is a good choice.

Note that the 2560x1080 mode does not give a wider field of view, they all give the same field of view. However with 2560x1080 mode you can zoom in on the recorded video to full standard width 1080 HD resolution and get a narrower field of view (magnified registration plates)

Hi, I am new here, and don't want to start by upsetting members, but I disagree ;)
Using the superwide 2560 x 1080 mode you are not zooming in any greater than 1080 as that's the vertical resolution. all you gain is extra width which will not help make things like reg. plates any clearer than 1920 x 1080 when zoomed.
If you use the 2304 x 1296 resolution you have more vertical pixels (and the pixel count overall is higher) therefore the clarity is (in theory) better when zoomed.
previous to coming to the above conclusion, I have been playing with the camera filming out of car as I don't have all the hardwire stuff yet. To me, that resolution looked better.

the advantage the shorter but wider picture has though is that it loses the top and bottom of the picture that you don't really need or want anyway, the auto white balance is more effective as a result, personal preference says you can like and use whichever you want, there's no right or wrong answer, given the choice I would personally use the 2560 x 1080 mode myself

Hi, I am new here, and don't want to start by upsetting members, but I disagree ;)
Using the superwide 2560 x 1080 mode you are not zooming in any greater than 1080 as that's the vertical resolution. all you gain is extra width which will not help make things like reg. plates any clearer than 1920 x 1080 when zoomed.
If you use the 2304 x 1296 resolution you have more vertical pixels (and the pixel count overall is higher) therefore the clarity is (in theory) better when zoomed.
previous to coming to the above conclusion, I have been playing with the camera filming out of car as I don't have all the hardwire stuff yet. To me, that resolution looked better.
I don't know about the mini 0805, but on the mini 0806, the mode with the narrowest field of view (greatest zoom) is the wide screen cinema mode 2560 x 1296, the other modes all have a wider field of view. So the combination of narrowest field of view and significantly more horizontal pixels gives the cinema mode significantly more dpi / better resolution and it is by far the best for reading small writing on license plates.

If the 806 has 1296 vertical res with 2560 horizontal, then yes I agree with you, it would be best. The 805 is "only" 1080 at 2560 horizontal, which is less pixels overall than 2304 x 1296.
2560 times 1080 = 2764800
2304 times 1296 = 2985984
As jokiin said, personal preference on which you feel looks best, as either mode is still quite heavily compressed. Also a good point about white balance and FOV.

can depend on whether they crop or compress, there's a lot of these that aren't doing things the best way
I assume that all the modes are scaled down from full sensor width apart from 2560x1080 which is at sensor resolution but not quite the full sensor width. No scaling gives best quality.

I would agree that no scaling is preferable, but where does it say what the camera's native resolution is ?

Thanks Reverend. So none of the resolutions available are native !

The 2560x1080 view is exactly what the sensor sees at 1:1 - the rest are scaled down from the full sensor resolution

If you look at the screenshots you'll see the top and bottom of the 2560x1080 is cropped and the width is slightly less than the rest

Ok ... still testing but the 2560 seems to have washed out colours compared to any other mode on mine, so running at 1296p 16:9 atm - night test this evening :)

Were are the screenshots please ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Mini 0805 1