What SD card for 522GW

Cliveg13

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...first post here...my darling daughter and husband bought me a 522GW for Christmas!

Couple of questions if I may...

Looking at getting a 128gb card for the dashcam..can anyone recommend a good one?

Secondly, I want a rear camera for the car...what's best, the one that sticks on the rear screen, or the one that plugs into the main unit?

Thanks and regards to all,
Clive

Welcome to the forum Cliveg13.

Not familiar with the nextbase cameras so can not recommend a memory card,,,,,, i think they are a bit fuzzy so ill leave that to experienced users.

A rear camera you can only add if the front camera you have are prepared for that, there are some that sell cameras this way though most sell either single and dual channel systems.
If your model are prepared for a #2 camera, which it sound to be, a camera attached to the front camera pretty much just cover the cabin of the car, which are fine if you are a Uber driver, on the other hand a camera on the rear window cover the traffic behind your car.
A camera on the rear window of course need more work as you have to run the wire for it out back, and then stick the camera to the rear glass.
Mind you the front camera are by far the most important a rear one and you can do without a rear camera if you have to, the front record everything you do, and if you do nothing wrong then what ever hit you from behind must be to blame.
Alternative you can put a second single camera in the rear window, but then you have 2 memory cards to deal with, and sadly no dashcam should just be left alone when installed, it is a very good idea to look at the memory card content every month or two so see in the recordings seem to be in order.
When inspecting memory cards on the PC i focus on first and last file in drive sessions, but also "middle" if i have been stopped shortly at a gas station or something like that, i just watch a few seconds of each file i inspect, just enough that i can recognize the location ( and those are always at home - the few places i go, and my favorite gas station )
So if a first or last file start or stop down the road from one of those places i know something is wrong.
It take me about 10 minutes or so looking over a 128 GB memory card that are full.

The one that plugs into the unit is more convenient, but has the disadvantage, if you see it that way, of including a lot of the inside of the car and not so much out of the back.
The one that sticks to the rear screen, shows all the road behind, but needs a cable running from front to back.
If you chose the latter, do a dummy run with the cable as sometimes they interfere with DAB radio.

As far as cards go each owner will give a different story. Some recommend endurance cards but my non endurance seems to be standing up well.

In my case I bought a Samsung Evo Plus back in Sep 2018 and it's still going strong, never a blip.

I posted about it here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/fake-sdcards.36509/

It writes at just over 60Mbps and that is what I reckon is the key, a fast write speed to avoid buffering.

Thanks for all your replies...appreciated.

If I go with the rear camera module that plugs into the main unit, will it still recognise number plates?

Thanks again,
Clive

Not on cars behind you, cuz it is filming out the rear window, and the car then have to be even further back for you to be able to see the plate, and in the end the car will be too far back to read the plate even if you ca see it, it is one of the downfalls of using wide angle lenses like dashcams use.
Okay there is a chance if your camera are up as high as possible but it is a even smaller chance than if you had the camera on the rear window.
Also in my experience a cabin camera tend to adjust itself to the cabin lightning, meaning that what you can see of the outside thru windows can be overexposed.

So what you are really saying is that unless you are particularly interested in the inside of the car, they are pretty much a waste of time as a traffic spotting rear view camera?
Pretty much what I was trying to imply in my previous post.

Yep, I never did understand the logic of an add-on plug in module except maybe for a taxi

An interior cam can sometimes give a decent view of what's happening outside of a car but it's not as reliable doing that as a rear cam designed for that job is. It can be a good choice for a convertible with the top down, but otherwise it's not ideal. Always choose the right tool for the job ;)

Phil

So that will be ok for a few days in summer in UK then:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only if you bring a Mac, wellies, and an umbrella along :rolleyes:

Phil

Hi all...first post here...my darling daughter and husband bought me a 522GW for Christmas!

Looking at getting a 128gb card for the dashcam..can anyone recommend a good one?

Secondly, I want a rear camera for the car...what's best, the one that sticks on the rear screen, or the one that plugs into the main unit?

Clive
Hi

I bought the full kit from Halfords, front and rear - I also bought the hardwire kit for the rear camera. Works a treat.
I have 32 GB card - thats enough for both cameras. I format it it every 10 days.

Thanks for all your replies...appreciated.

If I go with the rear camera module that plugs into the main unit, will it still recognise number plates?

Thanks again,
Clive
Yes - get the next base rear camera and make sure you buy the hardwire kit for an extra 20 quid, Halfords can fit it for you (55 quid, but well worth it). The clarity is great. Nextbase also have there own software so you can edit and send you clips to various people.

Mike.

Hello,

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card will allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s.

I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card, as then if any issues were to occur, we can be contact and provide a replacement directly.

Regarding the rear camera, this is entirely dependant on your vehicle and whether you regularly have rear seat passengers. If you have a car with a reduced vision rear window (e.g. a convertible) then I'd recommend a Rear View Camera. If you have a solid rear window, or if you regularly carry back seat passengers, then I'd recommend a Rear Window Camera. There's a lot of footage available online for each camera, so you can see which camera you'd prefer for your situation.

If you do need any further help, feel free to come onto Live Chat and we can explain the options further.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support

Hello,

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card will allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s.

I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card, as then if any issues were to occur, we can be contact and provide a replacement directly.

Regarding the rear camera, this is entirely dependant on your vehicle and whether you regularly have rear seat passengers. If you have a car with a reduced vision rear window (e.g. a convertible) then I'd recommend a Rear View Camera. If you have a solid rear window, or if you regularly carry back seat passengers, then I'd recommend a Rear Window Camera. There's a lot of footage available online for each camera, so you can see which camera you'd prefer for your situation.

If you do need any further help, feel free to come onto Live Chat and we can explain the options further.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support
That's funny...I asked Next base for a replacement card recently and was advised by email they don't send replacement SD cards and to go back to the shop where I bought it....
Please clarify...

My sandisk extreme plus 128GB 170 MB/s microSD Memory Card stopped working today, after 16 months daily usage, indicated by 522gw displaying “insert SD card”

Dashcam with rearview module still working great, so bought a new same model SD card, not cheap, $140 CAD

That's expensive - £82 UK.

My Samsung Evo Plus U3 128Gb, which is still going strong at nearly 3 years is just under £15 now.

Clive
Hi

Only buy a Nextbase SD card otherwise you will encounter all kinds of problem - I've tried other ones. its really not worth the hassle, frustration and cost of buying other brands - I have a 32 GB that I format every week - there are people on here that use other brands - that's their choice.

I have a front and rear 522G camera and the clarity is excellent - I would recommend getting them both hard wired, so there is no battery issues.

You can but the kit for £20.00 and fit it yourself, Halfords charge £50 front and rear fitting.

Keep it simple.

Go to Halfords they are very helpful. ;)

That's funny...I asked Next base for a replacement card recently and was advised by email they don't send replacement SD cards and to go back to the shop where I bought it....
Please clarify...
Hi Mikey,

If the card was not purchased directly from Nextbase.com, the replacement SD card would need to be provided by the retailer you purchased it from, as per your warranty rights under your Consumer Rights. As long as it was one of our authorised retailers, they should happily swap the card for you.

Thanks,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

I have been having lots of problems with my 522GW with rear camera, I have 4x of these 522GW with rear cameras in different cars and have found the following, sandisk endurance 128GB U3 V30 don't work at 1440p and 720p its freezing crashing locking up screen etc however if I reduce the recording resolution to 1080p front and 720p rear it works fine, from what I can tell the sandisk endurance card I have isn't fast enough to write at 1440p and 720p. I have got myself a Nextbase branded card from Halfords will see how it goes with this.

It would be interesting to know what cards peoples are using with 1440p and 720p setups ? that work reliably without any issues.

Back