What SD card for my SGZC12SG?

SteveJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
I have been using a couple of full size Transcend 32Gb class 10 SD cards in my SGZC12SG now for a couple of years, rotating them weekly, as my mileage is quite low, and have had no problems.
I’d like to use 64Gb cards to give me a bit more recording space, however here’s why I’m asking. I have looked on both Transcend and Sandisk websites to see what they recommend, and both manufactures warn against using “full size” SD cards in a dashcam?
I don’t understand? Surely people, like me, have been using full size SD cards in dashcams for years now, I’ve certainly not had a problem. So I have a few questions.....
1. Can I use a ‘micro’ card in an adaptor, or is this asking for trouble?
2. Should I continue using ‘full size’ cards and ignore the manufacturers warnings?
3. As my dashcam is now a bit ‘long in the tooth’, should I consider upgrading to a cam that uses micro cards?

Thoughts please!
Steve

Indeed my old Lukas LK 7500 are still recording in my sisters car on a 64 Gb full size memory card ( cant recall the brand )

Besides most memory cards are not approved for dashcam use, and so doing that void warranty, in general its only ultra / endurance cards that the different brands okay for dashcam use ( but these cards are also more expensive )
So if you want to carry on then i would just pick whatever card you fancy,,,,,, i am not aware of that model favor some models / dont like some memory card brands /models, so better wait for a RPLY from a guy like @jokiin who will know for sure.

However it is a aging model you have for sure, and a new one will have a lot better footage not least in low light, so if you have a little money burning a hole on your pocket then updating from this to something new will be worthwhile i think.

As a returning customer you might even secure yourself a little extra discount if you hit up @niko and say you are in the market for a new camera.

BTW i have used micro card in a adapter, and that worked just fine for my 4 channel analog setup i once had, but i think it is advised against in general.

Thanks for the info Kamkar. I’ve just looked at the instructions for my ‘ageing’ dashcam and noticed that they advised against using cards above 32Gb as that’s the limit that can be formatted ‘in camera’.
It’s looking like I might be taking your advice and forking out some extra cash for an upgrade.

Steve

This model uses full size memory cards up to 512GB. Not sure why SanDisk "recommending" using Micro+adapter.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks Niko, it was me asking if I could use a micro SD in an adaptor, not SanDisk. However it’s nice to know I could use up to 128Gb.
Still not sure if I want to upgrade yet, looking at what’s available it looks all too easy to pick the wrong model/manufacturer. I am happy with the results from my existing SGZC12SG, although I know it’s not the best by a long way, but even so might just stick with it for a while longer.

Steve

I am happy with the results from my existing SGZC12SG, although I know it’s not the best by a long way,

Actually, I must say this model and it's predecessors are one of the most sturdy working horses around from "that era". Yeah, it doesn't have 2 or 4K, or fancy WiFi etc., however, stability is most important and within 1080p recording still beating most others mid-class modern competitors. If dashcams would have similar to "million-mile-club" like cars, I believe your dascham would be in Top 3.
As they say "don't fix it if it ain't broken", - I recommend to buy new good quality SD card and use this dascham for as long as it serves you.

Back