What software to combine movies & the PIP of the rear view?

aarghj

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the “Dashcam Viewer” app but I cannot seem to figure out how to combine movies and retain the PIP of the rear view. Anyone know how to do this? Do I need to use different software for this?

I use Wondershare Filmora (since about 2 weeks ago), there are tutorials on youtube for beginners (like myself) and it really is very easy to use

Wondershare Filmora is very intuitive and is a good choice for many hobbyist users, but it's somewhat limited in options for more advanced users. That's an unavoidable trade-off. Video editing is fundamentally complex. The more a program simplifies it, the less control the user tends to have over the finer points of the process.

If you're serious enough about video to want some advanced capabilities, but not so serious as to want to spend a fortune in time and money, I suggest you check out Magix Movie Edit Pro. It's what I use for 99.9 percent of the videos I edit, including the ones I edit for money. (I do 20 to 30 of them every week for clients, in addition to my own.) They have an on-again / off-again free trial. Right now, it's on-again.

What I like about Magix Movie Edit Pro is that it's simple and intuitive enough for hobby-level users, but powerful enough for lighter and mid-level professional work. It nicely fills a niche between simple editing software aimed at consumers, and high-end (and expensive) suites like Adobe Premier Pro, Lightworks, or (formerly) Sony (now) Magix Vegas Pro. They have several versions with different features, some of which is licensed content that makes the "Plus" version cost more than the "Premium" version, even though the "Premium" version has more features. Or at least that's how it was explained to me. So if you decide to buy it, carefully check the comparison chart before doing so.

Lightworks also has a free version that's suitable for hobbyists who don't need to export higher resolution than 720p. It's available for Windows, Mac, and either Debian- or RHEL-based Linux distros. But the learning curve is steep. Really steep. We're talking Spielberg-level steep. It's phenomenally powerful, but I don't recommend it unless you're interested in possibly purchasing the pro version and want to try it out. The free version is way too much trouble for most people to learn given its restrictions, in my opinion.

Adobe Premiere Pro is also very good, but I detest Adobe's subscription model. They offer no outright purchase option. That means that if you cancel your subscription, you can no longer edit the work you created with their products if you want to some day. But that aside, Adobe Premiere Pro is somewhat more powerful than Magix Movie Edit Pro, with a much steeper learning curve; but considerably less powerful than Lightworks or Vegas Pro, with a slightly shallower learning curve. At least that's my opinion having used all of them.

If you want FOSS, Shotcut is something you may want to look at. The learning curve isn't horrible and it's reasonably powerful. Unfortunately, it's not very stable in my experience. I download it and try it out again every year or so. The last time it was still too crashy for me to take seriously for production work. But maybe it's improved since then. It's free, so it's worth a shot (no pun intended).

There also are a crap ton of other FOSS editors originally written for Linux that have been ported over to Windows or Mac. I haven't used any of them recently enough to comment on them, but they're out there.

What it comes down to is that I've used dozens of video editing programs over the years, including most of the major ones released for Windows or Linux and all of the ones mentioned in this post. Magix Movie Edit Pro is what I use most and recommend for most people. They hit the sweet spot in terms of simplicity and power, in my opinion, at a very reasonable price point. I think anyone interested in hobby or light professional video editing should check out the free trial. (And no, I don't own shares in the company.)

Richard

Pinnacle studio 20 ultimate here.
its quite easy to make one video smaller in size or crop it and overlay it to another video, it even have a sync function to make sure your 2 files are lined up, though thats probably not a problem with footage from a dual channel camera.

I use free VSDC for my compilation videos, although I will try the paid version soon to make better use of my video card on 4k renders. It's very easy to use.

Reactions: Mtz
I use free VSDC for my compilation videos, although I will try the paid version soon to make better use of my video card on 4k renders. It's very easy to use.

I haven't used that one in a while. Maybe it's time to check it out again.

Richard

maybe it's a settings thing but I found when using VSDC the video would stutter, I gave up on it due to poor output quality

I don't remember what I didn't like about it, to be quite honest. It could have been video stutter or any number of other things. I've used so many video-editing programs that all the ones I didn't like just get thrown together in a box somewhere in a dusty corner of my brain.

Richard

Ditto, that place take up a lot here, actually when i vigorously shake my head its not only dandruff that land on my shoulders.
And there are no shampoo for that area of the brain.
I like my pinnacle but i have not tried out others than MS movie maker.
I have looked on others i would like to try, but most often its significantly more expensive software.

I have the “Dashcam Viewer” app but I cannot seem to figure out how to combine movies and retain the PIP of the rear view. Anyone know how to do this? Do I need to use different software for this?
ffmpeg if you like command line or you are a masochist :)

Back