What software to edit .mov files?

Whitster

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to extract a 15 second snip from a 3-minute segment. The B40/A118 generates .mov files...which Windows Movie Maker doesn't play with. I had to convert the .mov file to .wmv file then run that through WMM...a very tedious process and lost some resolution in the conversion process.

Is anyone aware of an editing program that will work with .mov files?
I tried a couple I found on Google and they wouldn't run.

TIA

If you install iTunes or QuickTime that should have the relevant codecs to be able to edit directly in Movie Maker? I know a lot of people don't like it.

I normally use Registrator Viewer to cut the clip out and save it with the gps info removed, then WMM will read it as normal, although WMM isn't fully functional if you are working with greater than 1080 resolution. You can also use Registrator Viewer to join segments together without re-encoding the video so keeping the original quality if you are clever enough!

If you can't view the files in Windows Media Player then install the K-Lite Codec Pack or equivalent, then WMP, WMM and everything else should work.

I'll second Registrator Viewer. Besides that though, VSDC is a free, powerful video editor for windows. bit of a learning curve since it's got lots of features, but it really makes WMM look and feel like the tinkertoy that it is. comparing WMM to almost any other video editor out there is like comparing Notepad to Microsoft Word. plus, by getting rid of windows movie maker, you can also get rid of all the other "windows live" crap that comes with it.

You have to be careful with some of those codec packs as they'll install extra crap you don't want if you're not watching too closely.

"crap" from a Reverend? ...you musta seen de light!

;->

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second Registrator Viewer. Besides that though, VSDC is a free, powerful video editor for windows. bit of a learning curve since it's got lots of features, but it really makes WMM look and feel like the tinkertoy that it is. comparing WMM to almost any other video editor out there is like comparing Notepad to Microsoft Word. plus, by getting rid of windows movie maker, you can also get rid of all the other "windows live" crap that comes with it.

I tried to download VSDC from several souces but they were all 'bundled' with Bloatware, and wouldn't let you continue without 'accepting' them so I bailed out.
I did manage to download Registrator Viewer and seemed pretty good until it 'hung'. Now I can't X out of it, File/End or anything. Gonna have to do a hard crash exit. I probably caused a flameout when I was experimenting to see what does what.

...install the K-Lite Codec Pack or equivalent, then WMP, WMM and everything else should work.

You have to be careful with some of those codec packs as they'll install extra crap you don't want if you're not watching too closely.

Agree with the Reverend here. I downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack from the link on the RV site and it took me the better part of 1/2 day to clean up my system.

Me too. My Norton told me Fastfox.exe was trouble and I thought I got out of it in time...guess not.
Part of the NCH bloatware. It's disguised in the Control Panel's Add/Remove option. Some googles show how to remove it,but none of them work so far.

I tried to download VSDC from several souces but they were all 'bundled' with Bloatware, and wouldn't let you continue without 'accepting' them so I bailed out.
I did manage to download Registrator Viewer and seemed pretty good until it 'hung'. Now I can't X out of it, File/End or anything. Gonna have to do a hard crash exit. I probably caused a flameout when I was experimenting to see what does what.

i'll see if i can find the site i got vsdc from, and failing that i'll post up the copy i have somewhere.

edit: pretty sure this is their official site. you might have to uncheck a toolbar or somesuch during the install, but you have to do that with java too, so it's not that uncommon a practice. http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

I use iWisoft Free Video converter. It can convert video files to other video formats, edit lengths of videos, and can crop out parts of the viewed video.

I use an older netbook and it cant handle high definition video files well. My various video playing programs just cant play them well (they are choppy or just show a black screen or lock up completely) so i have to convert the dashcam video to something more manageable. I also use it to crop out parts of the screen ... like for example.... if I want to crop out the bottom part of the video that shows my vehicle's hood and the date/time I can do it. I like anonymity when I post a dashcam video on the net.

Note: one slightly annoying thing the iWisoft Free Video Converter does is that when you open it it will open up your browser to their website.

free - "any video converter" is quick and easy.

iMovie can directly edit MOV.
Windows Movie Maker also helps to edit video files, but it does not support mov video format. You may use iDealshare VideoGo to convert MOV to Windows Movie Maker more supported MPG, AVI, WMV, etc. iDealshare VideoGo also heas the basic editing feature like trim, crop, merge, effect, rotate, compress, watermark etc

For simple tasks (such as extraction of a small part) I use "ffmpeg" command line tools. Many operations are done without reencoding the footage - preserving the quality.

Just used Shotcut, rather simple, free-Open Source- and Multiplatform (Mac, windows....)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S A118 (B40) 17
Back