What sort of park life should I expect?

carguy4471

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking at picking up a blackvue 590, or 750, or a thinkware 800pro.

I drive a 19 jeep with an AGM battery.

If I were to only run off battery set to say 12.2 cutoff, what sort of parking record time might I expect?? I know this varies a great deal but I have no idea. If it is anywhere near 8 hours I don't need to consider on of the very expensive add on battery units so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you for any input anyone can offer!!!

If you drive 40 minutes or more per day and reduce the cutoff to 12.0 then that should be no problem.

A good AGM battery will be happy down to 11.8 volts and will recharge faster than a conventional battery, but you should give it a full recharge, eg overnight on a battery charger or a 6 hour drive, at least once every 3 months.

I drive 30 minutes to work each way. So an hour per day, minimum.

In that case, no need to worry!

Your AGM battery will wear a little faster, but AGM batteries should have a long lifespan so will probably last until after you have sold the vehicle anyway.

Do you think I'd still be ok at 12.2??

Probably, depends on many things, including the battery age and what AGM technology is used in the battery (they don't all sit at the same voltage for a certain %used and power drain) and how much load there is on the battery while parked, which depends on which camera and what else is taking power.

Most AGM batteries wont mind going below 12.2, that is the voltage to use for conventional cheap low maintenance lead acid batteries.

If you live in part of the US with a very cold climate this time of year keep in mind that the battery's performance will be compromised to some degree. Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and lowers the capacity. Although the battery will accept a charge in freezing temps it will be at a lower rate so will take longer to return to full capacity.

I live in the great, and cold, Minnesota. So we get nasty low temps in the winter and pretty high ones in the summer.

I live in the great, and cold, Minnesota. So we get nasty low temps in the winter and pretty high ones in the summer.

We have similar conditions here in northern New England which is why I thought to mention it. Might be worth doing some testing before you commit to the idea or consider a separate (non-hard wired) power bank for temporary parking mode operation. For a relatively modest investment you can purchase a good power bank that will output 5v or 12v without having to spend huge money for a hard wired solution like a Cellink. The downside is that you'll need to take it inside and charge it periodically.

I'm looking at picking up a blackvue 590, or 750, or a thinkware 800pro.

I drive a 19 jeep with an AGM battery.

If I were to only run off battery set to say 12.2 cutoff, what sort of parking record time might I expect?? I know this varies a great deal but I have no idea. If it is anywhere near 8 hours I don't need to consider on of the very expensive add on battery units so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you for any input anyone can offer!!!
I have the DR590 2ch non wifi. I've been running it a year with no problems. I have an Anypower T Plus backup battery it runs of. I have the battery pack cut off set to 12.2 and it will last all day after driving 40 mins to work. I get to work at 6am and when I get off at 330pm, it's still going in parking mode. Now granted your parking mode will also depend on how much activity as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like the power bank idea as I already have a handful of 20,000mah or larger units. I use them often for other things. I'm just not sure I'm keen on having to switch from vehicle power to powerbank power every time I leave the vehicle, and I'm also not sure how clean I could make that wiring scenario. I'd love to be able to have it "just switch" when the vehicle shuts off.

And where I park during the day has vehicles going by almost non stop, so I'm not sure if a timelapse park mode would be best. I'm new to all of this.

I like the power bank idea as I already have a handful of 20,000mah or larger units. I use them often for other things. I'm just not sure I'm keen on having to switch from vehicle power to powerbank power every time I leave the vehicle, and I'm also not sure how clean I could make that wiring scenario. I'd love to be able to have it "just switch" when the vehicle shuts off.

And where I park during the day has vehicles going by almost non stop, so I'm not sure if a timelapse park mode would be best. I'm new to all of this.
If you want your battery bank to just switch when you shut off your vehicle then you'll have to get an actually Dashcam battery backup that's made to do so. A regular battery bank won't do this. Most are usually not designed to charge while being used either as most won't charge very much in such a short period of time. If you just want to run off regular car battery then you cns just use a battery monitoring device such as a power magic pro that will cut battery power and your desired setting IE: battery voltage or time elapsed. If you're wanting to use time lapse recording instead of buffered parking mode then Blackvue will not be the option for that as it doesn't have that feature. You're better of going with thinkware for that.

Too many options and doo-dads to consider, lol. Are there less expensive versions of the cel link type batteries that are any good?? The couple on blackbox are expensive as hell!!

Too many options and doo-dads to consider, lol. Are there less expensive versions of the cel link type batteries that are any good?? The couple on blackbox are expensive as hell!!
I did tell you I'm running the Anypower T Plus battery bank for dash cams. It has been working great for since it got it July 2017. It has survived the Texas heat 2ith no issues. I keep it mounted behind drive kick panel on my 2019 tundra. It's also been mounted in the truck of my 2015 challenger scat pack, 2018 Camry XSE so it's had its uses.

https://www.prevalentoutstanding.com/037/anypower-t-power-plus-alpha-car-black-box-power-battery

At half the price of a cellink, that anypower seems pretty tempting!!

At half the price of a cellink, that anypower seems pretty tempting!!
Your nice AGM car battery costs nothing - even more tempting ... give it a chance to prove itself before spending unnecessarily!

I will absolutely see what the jeeps battery can do. I'm not one to go dumping money, lol. The trick is deciding on a camera I guess at this point. It seems I "may" be able to get the time I was looking for without additional money so I won't let it determine the budget. A129, 590w 2CH, 750S 2CH, F800, lots to consider.

A129, 590w 2CH, 750S 2CH, F800, lots to consider.
So how long can each of those run parking mode for per Amp hour (Ah), or Watt hour of power?

I don't know the answer but I'm guessing they are about in correct order with the A129 as the most efficient?

Back