What temperature do you leave your 0806 sitting in?

Perrico

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just got my Mini 0806 last week. Was surprised to see the manual state an operating temperature range of 0 - 40 degrees celsius. Our winter has seen -38 with wind chill and the summer will have my car interior at 50 degrees easily.
Has anyone left their 0806 in temps outside the recommended range? Pain to take it back and forth with you.

I always leave dashcam in the cars, whether it's 100 or -10 Fahrenheit.

Just got my Mini 0806 last week. Was surprised to see the manual state an operating temperature range of 0 - 40 degrees celsius. Our winter has seen -38 with wind chill and the summer will have my car interior at 50 degrees easily.
Has anyone left their 0806 in temps outside the recommended range? Pain to take it back and forth with you.
I don't think that is what the manual actually says, it does say that is the "Normal operating temperature" but doesn't say that you can't use it outside that range. It then goes on to say that operating it above 40C will shorten the battery life and colder than 0C can cause damage if there is moisture in the camera, at least I think that is what it says.

Temperatures just below zero C are often the worst as there can easily be condensation about, if your car is damp then be careful and try to cure the damp problem. By the time you get to -10C the air is normally quite dry and not a problem. I do know the 0806 has been used at -27C and survived although how much life that takes out of the battery is unknown and it isn't recommended for lithium batteries or almost any other sort, wind chill shouldn't matter inside the car.

If temperatures inside the car are going to be much more than 40C then you shouldn't be driving and if parked it would be sensible to turn the camera off so as not to shorten the battery life so much. Maximum temperature for lipo batteries when not being used or charged is normally around 65 to 75C so only a big issue in hot climates.

Try to make sure the camera has some shade from direct summer midday sunlight, low evening sunlight isn't an issue, doing so could extend the battery life considerably.

In Denver winter, it's pretty drastic weather.
One day, it's 70 and next day 10 Fahrenheit or below and all my dashcams (Z7, G1WH, G90 etc...) are left in the car.
32 (which is 0 Celsius) is considered a normal day and hasn't affected any cams yet.
I don't care about battery life as long as the last file is saved as I am not using them as digital camera or camcorder outside the car.
If it comes down to where it can't even save last file, those batteries are cheap to replace.

Several >35'C (about 95'F) days over the last month, camera hasn't seemed to skipped a beat (I haven't stared closely at all the footage, but haven't seen any issues while skimming them). Car parked outside, baking and oven-like inside until I get in after work; I don't have any way of telling what the temperature peaked at inside the car though.

Guess I spoke too soon: found the camera hanging by the USB cable this morning - the change from cold night to hot day seemed to cause the adhesive to peel from the base of the camera mount.

The adhesive on the windscreen glass was still very attached - took a bit of work but came clean eventually (hint: roll the edges of the main part until you can pull some off, repeat until you can roll the pieces you into a ball of tacky goo to pull the remaining small marks off with).

Thinking ahead to sticking the camera back up: Is there any difference between the adhesive pad's red side and the white side? Should I be using one particular side for the camera base?

make sure the glass and the base are both clean before putting the tape on, when you stick the mount to the glass hold it with pressure for 2 minutes, then wait at least 20 minutes before putting the camera on, the VHB adhesive takes 20 minutes to achieve a 50% bond, 72 hours for 100%

The problem may be the plastic of the base getting warm and releasing some oil that the sticky pad can't stick to.

Clean both surfaces thoroughly with some sort of degreaser before refitting, maybe soak the plastic for a while, that is why things with sticky pads are often supplied with an alcohol wipe. If the plastic is very shiny then it may also help to roughen the surface up a bit with course sandpaper to give the pad more to grip onto.

Make sure you don't put any fingerprints on the surfaces after cleaning them, the sticky pads will not stick to grease/oil.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RavenManiac Mini 0806 12
Back