What to do with a spare dashcam?

that will certainly do the job, good brand also
I was actually using it for something entirely different but in the process had an epiphany. Spent about 10 minutes figuring out how to make it work as a suction mount for just about any 'wedge' cam (3 cheers for 3M Dual-Lock :) ).

Edit: +1 on the good brand. Very good build quality, suction mechanism works well, and the 'click lock' mechanism is spot on solid.

one of my older cams is a battery cam, but it's a "brick on a stick" kind, hanging from a suction cup. i keep it around for when i have to drive a rental or some other vehicle. also came in handy each time i bought a new (used) vehicle. call me paranoid, but i actually stuck it in each vehicle i test-drove.

it's gotten to where i feel naked without a dashcam in whatever i'm driving. kinda like when you leave the house in a hurry, get halfway down the street, and suddenly realize you haven't put on your seat belt yet. i've actually turned around and gone back to get the memory card off my desk before. because just like when you forget your umbrella you'll get caught in the rain, if you forget your memory card/dashcam, that's the time you'll need it.

one of my older cams is a battery cam, but it's a "brick on a stick" kind, hanging from a suction cup. i keep it around for when i have to drive a rental or some other vehicle. also came in handy each time i bought a new (used) vehicle. call me paranoid, but i actually stuck it in each vehicle i test-drove.

it's gotten to where i feel naked without a dashcam in whatever i'm driving. kinda like when you leave the house in a hurry, get halfway down the street, and suddenly realize you haven't put on your seat belt yet. i've actually turned around and gone back to get the memory card off my desk before. because just like when you forget your umbrella you'll get caught in the rain, if you forget your memory card/dashcam, that's the time you'll need it.

Know the feeling!

How do you mount the SG to it? Do you have a picture of it?
I'm getting a new car in 2 weeks; might be good to quickly mount a cam in there before driving home. Murphy's Law and all that...
You stick the suction cup to the window, angle the plate to approx parallel to the screen, then fix the SG mount to the plate.
Here's one way to mount it, although if space permits I'd recommend using the mount vertically rather than horizontally as shown here.
View attachment 29080 View attachment 29081 View attachment 29082 Pics of suction cup mounting in car, had to mount this way as sensors on front of mirror.

You stick the suction cup to the window, angle the plate to approx parallel to the screen, then fix the SG mount to the plate.
Here's one way to mount it, although if space permits I'd recommend using the mount vertically rather than horizontally as shown here.
Thanks @TonyM - now I don't have to go take a picture of mine.

@Q-BiC - That's how I did it but used 3M DualLock tape to mount the camera.

I am not into buying or selling second hand,,,,, anything, so what i do is either horde or give things away to worthy people.
Problem is i don't know many people with the right attitude, and i am way past betting on a limp horse and hoping it turn out to be a winner, cuz that never happened once in my life, and i have done a lot of betting in that regard in my young and naive days.

Now I have a cheapie cam in excess, but it's a battery powered one so it can't take the heat here. Can't give it away because everyone I know speeds or drives like crap so if I gift it to them it will go against them instead of helping them.
Maybe it'll do exactly the opposite: once the person starts watching the footage and realize how they drive, they might become a better driver. I "know" how people drive in SC but maybe it's worth a shot. :)

...so if I gift it to them it will go against them instead of helping them....
As was just pointed out - that might be a good thing.

Maybe it'll do exactly the opposite: once the person starts watching the footage and realize how they drive, they might become a better driver. I "know" how people drive in SC but maybe it's worth a shot. :)
Probably will not work, but I agree worth a shot :)

It worked for me but my wife still tailgates. And there's no safe way to point that out to her either. :eek:
people like that will just learn the hard way. anyone who does it to me bad enough gets a phone call from the cops when I submit the video.

Sadly it just won't work with my people. None of them can be convinced that they aren't just absolutely great in every way, or they know they have issues but refuse to do anything about them :( Hearts of gold, brains of something brown and stinky :p

I have exactly one friend who drives well and carefully, and she's never had any problems on the road. Nor does she much care for anything not simple on her life. I'd marry her if she'd have me (and that feeling goes to very, very few women) but she's just a very good and dear friend. Can't win 'em all!

Phil

My one friend ( male ) drive like a maniac letting his personal mood determine his driving style resulting in him getting a speeding ticket and 1 of 3 marks on his license, just cuz he forgot his wallet at home and had to drive the 1/2 mile back to get it.

In his 4x4 driving days he have used lane grass dividers , bicycle paths and sidewalks to get ahead of the other people that very easy get him mad while driving.

For god sake don't you dare to drive 5 km/h below the posted max speed in front of my M8 :mad:

Thats one reason i got him into dashcams, to record his outbursts of anger, now i just need him to post those moments online.

Back