What to look for in a Jump Starter?

MANswers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I wanted to pick up a jump starter to save me from may day just in case my dashcam drains all my battery in parking mode.
The car is a SUV, when looking for a jump starter what are the key things you'll be looking at when shopping around?
More MaH's?
More Peak Amps?
Multi-functional such as an inbuilt compressor etc?

I checked out this model and it looks like one of the most reliable units out there.

My only problem with it is was that I go skiing somewhere where it can drop to -40F with the wind chill. The car will sit in the parking lot for a few days and I dread not being able to start in case my Blackvue drains the battery. All the chargers I looked at had a warning that they shouldn't be kept inside the vehicle in freezing weather.

A portable one made with lithium batteries would be small enough to carry in my luggage and have enough cold cranking amps to start most passenger cars and SUVs (depends on the model, some are better).

I purchased this one, made by Anker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00O1T056A-Started my 6 cylinder, 3.0L car without any issues twice and then it stopped working completely, wouldn't even turn on.

Then I purchased this one made by Schumacher. Works perfectly and has everything I was looking for and more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00LQW3COW-Made from lithium iron phosphate. Longer life, safer cells and more charge cycles than lead acid
-400A, 270CCA sufficient for any 4 or 6 cylinder car
Benefits over the Clore Jump n Carry: Smaller size, keeps the charge when sitting idle for longer, LED to tell you the voltage of your car's battery when you attach the clamps, automatic overload protection so it turns off if you don't remove the clamps after starting the car, spark-free
Cons: battery isn't replaceable like the clore unit

I checked out this model and it looks like one of the most reliable units out there.

My only problem with it is was that I go skiing somewhere where it can drop to -40F with the wind chill. The car will sit in the parking lot for a few days and I dread not being able to start in case my Blackvue drains the battery. All the chargers I looked at had a warning that they shouldn't be kept inside the vehicle in freezing weather.

A portable one made with lithium batteries would be small enough to carry in my luggage and have enough cold cranking amps to start most passenger cars and SUVs (depends on the model, some are better).

I purchased this one, made by Anker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00O1T056A-Started my 6 cylinder, 3.0L car without any issues twice and then it stopped working completely, wouldn't even turn on.

Then I purchased this one made by Schumacher. Works perfectly and has everything I was looking for and more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00LQW3COW-Made from lithium iron phosphate. Longer life, safer cells and more charge cycles than lead acid
-400A, 270CCA sufficient for any 4 or 6 cylinder car
Benefits over the Clore Jump n Carry: Smaller size, keeps the charge when sitting idle for longer, LED to tell you the voltage of your car's battery when you attach the clamps, automatic overload protection so it turns off if you don't remove the clamps after starting the car, spark-free
Cons: battery isn't replaceable like the clore unit

Thanks thats a good tip, never knew about this that you should not keep your jump starter in your car in the winter.
the one you mentioned, by schumacher, do you keep it in your car in the winter, is it ok?
The car is usually sitting in a heated garage, but there are times it might be sitting at the airport parking for a few days or a week even during the winter. The car has a remote starter that can be operated to start the car even from a different country or continent, its connected via the phone. The app on the phone can instigate to start the car, this way if there is snow or frost on the car even after a week we can turn the car on and let the ice to defreeze while unboarding the plane.

I can't really recommend any as I have little experience with jumpstarters. The only one I have used is http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s...-1200a-12v-jump-starter-and-power-supply.html

I do have a bit of experience with 12v compressors though. I am yet to see a compressor that is combined with a jumpstarter that would be capable of inflating four suv tyres to road pressure.

Usually with a flat tyre you'd have a spare tyre. The only time you would need a compressor is when the pressure has dropped by a few points. In most of the cars these days you get the pressure check on your dashboard lcd, a mere 4-5 PSI per tyre would be easy for a portable compressor right?
How often can someone have all the four tyres going flat? Hence thinking a portable jump start with compressor should do the trick.. just wondering.. your thoughts on this

When I lived in the states I had a Prestone Jump-It (no longer made, you can do a Google search to see what it looks like). when I moved over here after I got my car I wanted one but could not seem to find one till I went top an auto parts store in Poland and picked up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002X6VXL4Mine is not a Stanley, it is store branded but is exactly the same, made by a company in France. Not had to use it yet to jump my car but the USB port and cigarette lighter socket comes in handy at the garage to charge up things. These are great to take camping to run all sorts of things that need 12 volts and not have to worry about running the cars battery down. I think as long as you get one that will start your car/SUV you will be surprised at what sorts of other things you can d o with it besides jump starts.

Usually with a flat tyre you'd have a spare tyre. The only time you would need a compressor is when the pressure has dropped by a few points. In most of the cars these days you get the pressure check on your dashboard lcd, a mere 4-5 PSI per tyre would be easy for a portable compressor right?
How often can someone have all the four tyres going flat? Hence thinking a portable jump start with compressor should do the trick.. just wondering.. your thoughts on this

Completely agree with you.

As a four wheel driver I have all four tyres deflated on a regular basis, but you are correct, it would be rare for a regular car to have multiple deflated tyres without punctures.

An SUV tyre may be a bit of a challenge to get to placard pressures for some compressors, but should get it high enough to drive on safely.

At work we attempted to inflate a 245/75r16 with a compressor rated slightly higher than the one in the other thread, after ten minutes we gave up and put the spare on.

Mine made me use bad language :eek:

Always kept it charged and after a two week stint abroad the time came to use it on my small transit van at the airport carpark on return...

Absolutely flat van battery and it would barely crank it but fortunately the free shuttle bus driver got his out and we put both on and got me going...

I drove 100 meters to the barrier and then realised my ticket to lift the barrier was in the back of the van and you have to stop the engine to unlock it as its keyfob remote function only and that doesn't work when the engine is running !

So I trapped the wrong side of the barrier and I dare not turn the engine off so I opted for drastic action which involved lifting the barrier physically and driving through.

I went to the pay kiosk a mile away and told the guy what had happened with the ticket in my hand and he was laughing at my misfortune but a woman in the background decided to involve herself with a very different attitude and it took all the guys persuasion to stop her calling security and having me carted off !!!!

I ve not bothered carrying one since !

I've had similar experiences with the traditional lead acid battery based jumpers, which was why I got a lithium based Power All instead. Lead acid batteries are heavy, will self discharge relatively quickly as well as lose a lot of their CCA in very cold weather. My Power All can sit 6 months or more between charges and still have 90% charge as well as deliver the power needed to start in cold weather, all while weighing only a pound and fits easily in a glove box. I'd rather have one in my car than nothing at all. You can't always rely on someone else being nearby to help, especially in the middle of the night in a deserted area.

KuoH

Always kept it charged and after a two week stint abroad the time came to use it on my small transit van at the airport carpark on return...Absolutely flat van battery and it would barely crank it but fortunately the free shuttle bus driver got his out and we put both on and got me going...
I ve not bothered carrying one since !

The lead acid jumpers actually work better, if they are used and charged frequently. However, most average car owners only need to use it once a year, probably less. This is where the low maintenance high output characteristics of a lithium based jumper pack really shines.

KuoH

This is one of the best jump starters you can get. I went through many Jump starters, the one above in the link i have had it for 7 years now, (abused), and never gave up on me. In winter sometime i have to jump 6-7 cars a day.

I suggest a different approach. Consider tieing a compact sealed 12 volt lead acid battery into the car and configure so that it only charges with the ignition on. This can can be done with diodes or piggybacking on a fuse energized with the ignition. Power the dashcam from the compact battery. It may die, but the car won't. Some consideration may be needed to prevent a dead battery from overloading the circuit while charging. I'm sure a google search may reveal guidance.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-portable-power-1150/p-02871688000P?sellerId=SEARS

I have this one and charge it monthly to keep it topped off.

the sealed AGM battery was the feature I like most. it has similar options as the others mentioned.

it does have a compressor in it but its pants. i actually have a dedicated AC powered compressor that's portable. I have a built in AC inverter in the ride so if i am ever in a pickle to where the battery is flat AND I need to recharge the tires, i have a good system working.

i had one of those yellow prestone jumpers! it hung in there for many years...

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-portable-power-1150/p-02871688000P?sellerId=SEARS

I have this one and charge it monthly to keep it topped off.

the sealed AGM battery was the feature I like most. it has similar options as the others mentioned.

it does have a compressor in it but its pants. i actually have a dedicated AC powered compressor that's portable. I have a built in AC inverter in the ride so if i am ever in a pickle to where the battery is flat AND I need to recharge the tires, i have a good system working.

i had one of those yellow prestone jumpers! it hung in there for many years...

I checked that out at sears today. Does look heavy duty and good quality. I am kinda worried about the lead acid thing. The jump starter will be sitting in the car and will only act as a back up in times of need. The Lithium one sounds like the one that is a viable option... But i am still researching on the right one that has enough power to start an suv in the server winters when it drops to -40

Anyone had experience with this one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00M1OUBES

Last edited:
Why not consider a solar solution? A solar panel on the package shelf by the rear window with a voltage regulator attached should be able to make up for your dash cams power usage during the day. You could probably hook it up to run the dash cams without the car at all at least when the sun shines..

the battery in the unit i have is sealed AGM which are the top batteries in the industry. AGM batteries are built to keep a longer standby life. I only charge mine once a month and usually it shows charged on the gauge when i plug it up.

anyway, AGM batteries are solid performers in this portable power industry. much success on your quest to find the best solution for your needs.

I was thinking to buy Brightech Scorpion mini jump starter. anyone has experience with this one?

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping...just my thoughts... Ok here's the problem with jump packs: When you have a dead battery and put a jump pack on it, what you're doing is putting another battery in parallel. Two batteries in parallel equalize eventually, and one dead battery in a parallel setup makes the other sag. So what you get, is one dead battery, one good small battery, added up to make one big crappy battery. The real solution is to carry a battery in a spill proof, insulted, vented box. Remove your car's battery and install your spare if it dies - avoid charging a battery more than 40% drained with the alternator, which is not built to charge substantial amounts. Invest in a solar battery maintainer, but beware it will take months to charge a battery significantly depending on size, it's more of a maintainer. Pocket size jump packs are just 18650's wired in series - cheap ones are made with cheap quality cells, so you mine as well make your own with protected high amp rate samsungs - but at that point, you mine as well just buy a spare car battery. 3 18650's = 12.6 v fully charged, 20 amp limit. On a cold day, you need more like 200 amps, plus extra for hesitant startups. Pocket power x? It's too small. How many 18650's are in there, what type of cells? Yeah, probably POS china cells that can't hold a charge. I really doubt it started 10 busses in a row, I'd like to see video proof. Maybe started 10 busses in a row and the busses low battery did most of the work.. The website is in typical sales scam format, too. My only problem with it is was that I go skiing somewhere where it can drop to -40F with the wind chill. The car will sit in the parking lot for a few days and I dread not being able to start in case my Blackvue drains the battery. All the chargers I looked at had a warning that they shouldn't be kept inside the vehicle in freezing weather. A portable one made with lithium batteries would be small enough to carry in my luggage and have enough cold cranking amps to start most passenger cars and SUVs (depends on the model, some are better). I purchased this one, made by Anker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00O1T056A-Started my 6 cylinder, 3.0L car without any issues twice and then it stopped working completely, wouldn't even turn on. Then I purchased this one made by Schumacher https://10carbest.com/best-jump-starters Works perfectly and has everything I was looking for and more. Made from lithium iron phosphate. Longer life, safer cells and more charge cycles than lead acid -400A, 270CCA sufficient for any 4 or 6 cylinder car Benefits over the Clore Jump n Carry: Smaller size, keeps the charge when sitting idle for longer, LED to tell you the voltage of your car's battery when you attach the clamps, automatic overload protection so it turns off if you don't remove the clamps after starting the car, spark-free Cons: battery isn't replaceable like the clore unit.
On Youtube full of expert reviews on this topic, leave one video of them here. Good Luck

The newer LiPo ones are definitely the way to go, but bear in mind that they have temperature limits for use and storage, so in really cold weather they may go hoverboard on you, leaving you with a lithium fire and a dead battery too :eek: The thing is that after several cycles of a car starting battery getting run down completely, it's ability to hold a charge will be greatly diminished and it will need to be replaced, so avoidance is the best method to use. I'm always near someone with a running car so I just carry jumper cables- they store forever with no maintenance, work at all temperatures, and work with any size engine. In my almost 6 decades here on Earth, I have found that most people will help out if you ask nicely :cool:

And here's a trick which I had to try to believe- you can use a cordless tool battery to jump-start a car battery. You must know which terminals to use on the tool battery but otherwise just hook it up, wait a few minutes, then start up and go. Tool battery voltage is irrelevant; any will do this if the tool battery is charged up. One of my winter projects is going to be taking a dead cordless drill and turning it into a jump-starter for my workvan since there's always some charged tool batteries in there :)

Phil

Back