What would happen if I used both the power port on the camera and the gps module?

dirtymoney

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious.

Ideally I'd like to have two separate power sources hooked up to the camera that I can switch between with the flip of a switch.

So that on a rare occasion I can turn my vehicle off and capture what is happening afterwards for maybe a half hour tops. Until I get back in my vehicle.

At the moment i have my a119s wired to a switch that turns it off when I want to. It is also wired into the powered-while-ignition-is-in-accessory-mode or when the vehicle is running. When I am sitting in my vehicle on occasion (with the engine off) I will want to record with it so I just flip the switch that gives it power (while the ignition is in accessory mode). Other times I want to be able to get out of my vehicle and turn my car off but still record (for a short while) until i come back to my vehicle.

I'd like to have both options.

a power bank would help. 26.8A battery continuously runs 2 cameras for over 33hrs with about 25% amperage left.

I wouldn't see a problem with doing this.

I'd want a definitive answer from Viofo but given my limited understanding of these, it seems like a great idea :) I'd use the cam port for driving and the mount port for parking as that would seem the most reliable method given the mount issues which have sometimes happened with these cams ;)

Phil

If it was possible for the A119(S) to determine which port it was receiving power from, some logic could be added to the firmware to enable a proper parking mode, eg:

If powered by mount, use parking mode with shock and motion detection on.

If powered by camera port, use normal recording with motion detection off and shock as defined by the user.

So in effect, working the same as a camera that has both constant and ignition power inputs.

Either way, using a power bank as your parking source on a switch sounds good if your camera port is ignition switched. You could let the camera turn off normally when the engine is turned off, then turn on the power bank. If the camera is never powered by both sources at once there won't be a problem. If it was, I'd have no idea.

both inputs should be within the same spec (5v +-.5) , and both the charger and battery bank are diode protected, so it should work.

Back