What's currently the best affordable action cam?

markkui

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'm going on a snorkeling/diving trip next week and I need some recommendations for a good and affordable action camera. I'm a little bit lost with all the different options and could really use some advice which camera currently provides the best value-for-money.

I live in China (I mention this because I can get my hands on China-made camera fairly easily) and I want to have a camera that takes nice photos and is waterproof.

Take a look at the Gitup Git2, nice 16MP photographs with the option of raw files if you want really good photos. The Pro version has a waterproof case. It also has one of the best gyro stabilisers which can make the video much nicer to watch.

There are a lot of new cameras recently but most are 4K which makes them not so affordable and since the 4K is only 30fps and the gyro stabiliser doesn't work at 4K most people wont see much advantage from them being 4K. They are also all 12MP instead of 16MP so the photos may not be so good as the Git2.

Take a look at the Gitup Git2, nice 16MP photographs with the option of raw files if you want really good photos. The Pro version has a waterproof case. It also has one of the best gyro stabilisers which can make the video much nicer to watch.

There are a lot of new cameras recently but most are 4K which makes them not so affordable and since the 4K is only 30fps and the gyro stabiliser doesn't work at 4K most people wont see much advantage from them being 4K. They are also all 12MP instead of 16MP so the photos may not be so good as the Git2.

Awesome advice, thanks! I will have a closer look t the Gitup Git2. How does it compare to the Xiaomi Yi and the SJCAM SJ4000?

Awesome advice, thanks! I will have a closer look t the Gitup Git2. How does it compare to the Xiaomi Yi and the SJCAM SJ4000?
The Xiaomi Yi doesn't have a screen so you can't frame your photos or even get the horizon horizontal, you said you wanted to take photos.

The SJ4000, depends what version you get but most have a low resolution sensor, not ideal for photos either.

Neither has a gyro stabiliser for the video.

The Git2 is a bit more expensive though, you didn't define "affordable", but if you do want photos then it is worth the extra:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/git2-photo-thread.16673/page-2

The Git2 is more along the lines of the Yi, SJCam 5000x or M20. As mentioned the Yi doesn't have a built-in LCD but they do have an LCD add-on available. Price-wise AFAIK the Git2 is a bit more expensive compared to the SJCam offerings. Image quality-wise I generally like the colors taken with th M20 followed by the Git2 but then again the Git2 gets updated more often so I can't say for sure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Action Camera Discussion 1
Back