What's everyone's settings in North America?

dashtalk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just got my A119S and I find the night quality to be bleached or overexposed.

I come from a Mobius and I definitely think that it had better quality.

My settings are:

1080 60 fps
Wdr on
Exposure 0
Frequency 60hz
CPL
FW: 2.4

Try to lower the EV value.

enjoy,
Mtz

I just got my A119S and I find the night quality to be bleached or overexposed.

I come from a Mobius and I definitely think that it had better quality.

My settings are:

1080 60 fps
Wdr on
Exposure 0
Frequency 60hz
CPL
FW: 2.4

I have the same settings as you but an older FW.

Here is a video in -23C at 5:30am in dark

Make sure all films are removed and your lens, CPL (both sides), windshield (both sides) are spotlessly clean.
I'm happy with my settings which is the same as yours.

I have the same settings as you but an older FW.

Here is a video in -23C at 5:30am in dark

Make sure all films are removed and your lens, CPL (both sides), windshield (both sides) are spotlessly clean.
74511/I'm happy with my settings which is the same as yours.

What FW are you running? Some members claim that 1.0 is better than 2.4
seems that bleached plates is common

What FW are you running? Some members claim that 1.0 is better than 2.4
seems that bleached plates is common
It’s a bit much to comment on overexposure so here is my thoughts. I don't assume anything until I've checked it.
A Sequential Procedure I can use on my A119S Dash Cam helps to isolate a problem and is as follows:
1 - My windshield maybe clean, or is it?
Depending on how spotty or filmy looking my windshield is I can use either a 50-50 mix or slightly more white vinegar than water and I make sure I clean both inside and outside. Either way, mix the solution in a spray bottle, spray it on the glass and wait for a few minutes. Once the solution has had time to penetrate, wipe off my windshield with a soft, lint-free cloth or I use paper towels which work fine for me. If my windshield is hard to clean I may have to go through this process a couple of times before my windshield, both inside and out, is squeaky clean, be patient!
2 - Does the CPL filter or Dash Cam lens have any residue of protective film left on them. A popular method to clean the CPL and Lens is with a “lightly moistened” Q-tip with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. Don’t over do it. There is a video on this site how to apply.
3 – Is the CPL filter aligned properly? After everything is clean and before I put the CPL and Dash Cam up, I check the CPL filter alignment for polarity (see the How to Align video on this site). Make sure when finished I haven’t left any smudge marks on the CPL filter when working on it.
4 – Probably the most critical Setting above the rest is EXPOSURE. It establishes proper brightness/contrast for my best viewing.
There is a broad range of Settings to choose from.
The +0.0 Setting is the centre/middle of the Exposure range so:
To Open the aperture and let in more light I may select:
+2.0, +5/3, +4/3, +1.0, + 2/3, + 1/3,
To Close the aperture and reduce the amount of light I may select:
-1/3, - 2/3, - 1.0, - 4/3, - 5/3, - 2.0
*Important, when I make the Exposure Setting selection, I always press the OK button to ensure my Exposure Setting it is saved/retained
I’m going with +0.0 for the winter because the sun is weaker in my region.
In the summer I will go with -1/3 to minimize very bright sunlight.
If I have an over exposure problem I would recommend ensuring the above is done correctly before I would consider looking at the Firmware

Last edited:
It’s a bit much to comment on overexposure so here is my thoughts. I don't assume anything until I've checked it.
A Sequential Procedure I can use on my A119S Dash Cam helps to isolate a problem and is as follows:
1 - My windshield maybe clean, or is it?
Depending on how spotty or filmy looking my windshield is I can use either a 50-50 mix or slightly more white vinegar than water and I make sure I clean both inside and outside. Either way, mix the solution in a spray bottle, spray it on the glass and wait for a few minutes. Once the solution has had time to penetrate, wipe off my windshield with a soft, lint-free cloth or I use paper towels which work fine for me. If my windshield is hard to clean I may have to go through this process a couple of times before my windshield, both inside and out, is squeaky clean, be patient!
2 - Does the CPL filter or Dash Cam lens have any residue of protective film left on them. A popular method to clean the CPL and Lens is with a “lightly moistened” Q-tip with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. Don’t over do it. There is a video on this site how to apply.
3 – Is the CPL filter aligned properly? After everything is clean and before I put the CPL and Dash Cam up, I check the CPL filter alignment for polarity (see the How to Align video on this site). Make sure when finished I haven’t left any smudge marks on the CPL filter when working on it.
4 – Probably the most critical Setting above the rest is EXPOSURE. It establishes proper brightness/contrast for my best viewing.
There is a broad range of Settings to choose from.
The +0.0 Setting is the centre/middle of the Exposure range so:
To Open the aperture and let in more light I may select:
+2.0, +5/3, +4/3, +1.0, + 2/3, + 1/3,
To Close the aperture and reduce the amount of light I may select:
-1/3, - 2/3, - 1.0, - 4/3, - 5/3, - 2.0
*Important, when I make the Exposure Setting selection, I always press the OK button to ensure my Exposure Setting it is saved/retained
I’m going with +0.0 for the winter because the sun is weaker in my region.
In the summer I will go with -1/3 to minimize very bright sunlight.
If I have an over exposure problem I would recommend ensuring the above is done correctly before I would consider looking at the Firmware

I'm having issues with my videos being very 'bright'

Do you turn off WDR and lower the EV? I'm thinking I'm gonna try -1/3

TroW8oW.png

The first thing I noticed is I can't see the hood or the dash of your car.
I would suggest for starters you lower your camera angle and take in less skyline.

Ok, will do. I cropped out the GPS and stuff from the bottom.

Also my hood slopes down a bit and my camera is mounted near the rear view mirror.

You're close, I can read the truck Toyota name, street sign and painted STOP on the road.
I always have WDR on and try to keep exposre as close to +0.0 as possible, I've used -1/3 occassionaly..
I think you'll find dropping the camera angle helpful.
Also it will pickup more objects coming from the sides which maybe important.
I've had my A119S with GPS and CPL filter a year come next month.
I have it between the rear view mirror and the windshield.
We've had a heat wave like everone else and it has perfotmed perfectly every day.
Enjoy you new dash cam.
cheers

You're close, I can read the truck Toyota name, street sign and painted STOP on the road.
I always have WDR on and try to keep exposre as close to +0.0 as possible, I've used -1/3 occassionaly..
I think you'll find dropping the camera angle helpful.
Also it will pickup more objects coming from the sides which maybe important.
I've had my A119S with GPS and CPL filter a year come next month.
I have it between the rear view mirror and the windshield.
We've had a heat wave like everone else and it has perfotmed perfectly every day.
Enjoy you new dash cam.
cheers

Great! I also have the CPL filter and I have been enjoying the camera.

Already caught an asshat stopping their car in the left shoulder/number 1 lane and REVERSING!

The general rule is 60% land & 40% sky. In the picture you have roughly 40% land & 60% sky.

I did lower it two notches so hopefully that will be helpful. Will check it tomorrow.

A year has gone by and I’ve used my A119S V2, 7G, F1.6 every day since Aug. 24, 2017 with no issues.
It’s been used in heat waves, cold waves and all types of road conditions on city streets and highways.
I recently added a couple of the latest upgrades:
Kingston Canvas Go micro sd card June 25th and Viofo Firmware A119S_180730_V2.61 Aug. 3rd.
All is up to date and there are no issues with the upgrades.
Here is my Settings that are Off or NOT USED:
OFF - Parking Mode
OFF - Time Lapse
OFF - Motion Detection
OFF - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System
OFF - FCWS (Front Collision Warning System
OFF - GPS STAMP (Coordinates, Speed)
OFF - LED
OFF - Image Rotate
Not used - CUSTOM TEXT
The A119S is an excellent performing, durable dash cam.
I just want to record what is ahead of me when I’m driving.
My Settings meet all my needs and I couldn’t do better.
This post is intended to give a simple start to first time users.
You can work the other menu options once you are more familiar with your dash cam, it's less confusing.

Last edited:
A year has gone by and I’ve used my A119S V2, 7G, F1.6 every day since Aug. 24, 2017 with no issues.
It’s been used in heat waves, cold waves and all types of road conditions on city streets and highways.
I recently added a couple of the latest upgrades:
Kingston Canvas Go micro sd card June 25th and Viofo Firmware A119S_180730_V2.61 Aug. 3rd.
All is up to date and there are no issues with the upgrades.
Here is my Settings that are Off or NOT USED:
OFF - Parking Mode
OFF - Time Lapse
OFF - Motion Detection
OFF - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System
OFF - FCWS (Front Collision Warning System
OFF - GPS STAMP (Coordinates, Speed)
OFF - LED
OFF - Image Rotate
Not used - CUSTOM TEXT
The A119S is an excellent performing, durable dash cam.
I just want to record what is ahead of me when I’m driving.
My Settings meet all my needs and I couldn’t do better.
This post is intended to give a simple start to first time users.
You can work the other menu options once you are more familiar with your dash cam, it's less confusing.

Hi Mindshaft
I also have those things off.
Would be interesting to see what your other settings are.
You using the stock version of the firmware?
I'm kind of curious how the modified firmware compares to clarity. May have to try once.
Thanks

I'm using unmodified Viofo Firmware A119S_180730_V2.61 since Aug. 3rd.
It continues the same quality videos as before so no need to change anything.
I set the Boot Start to 5 seconds.
I've used 1080, 60fps since day one.
Exposure is +0.0 but I have used -1/3 if the day is unusually bright in summer.
WDR is always on.
I've only removed the A119S four times in the whole year to clean all the viewing areas.
I've never connected my A119S to my computer.
I previously had a GW1-C for 3years and it served me well.
I plan to use this dash cam for 2 more years.

Thanks Mineshaft
Here is my setting and I have one question.
What and why is the Hertz setting 50hz or 60hz. I have mine at 50 but see other use 60hz.
Is that for night time so you don't get the lights blinking?

UPDATED 8/26/2018 1pm Arizona

VIOLO A119S Camera Settings Date: 8/26/2018 Firmware v 2.61
Polarized Lens Cover

Resolution - 1920 x 1080p 60fps
Loop Recording - 3 seconds
Exposure Value - -1/3
Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) - ON
GPS -
Off
G-Sensor – Low
Lane Departure Warning System – OFF
Forward Collision Warning System – OFF
Plate Stamp – OFF
Date Stamp – ON
Record Audio - ON
Screen Saver – 15 Seconds
Boot Delay – 3 seconds
LED – OFF
Date Time – ON
Time Zone- ON
Beep Sounds – ALL ON
Frequency – 60HZ

Last edited:
Is that for night time so you don't get the lights blinking?

Yes, that is it's purpose. 60 hz in the US.

Phil

The Hz setting are for artificial lighting frequency, we euro boys use 50 Hz, the Americans use 60 Hz on their mains power.
No matter what setting i still see some LED signs and car lights most often rear lights and flicker from CCFL lights.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TxDoc A119S 1
Back