Whats in Antarctica ? Spied this on Google Earth

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
I don't know what it is. Just looks like a big rock to me. Have you checked out the Google 'Earth' view of the other planets and moons? This is Venus.

That hole appears to be a dormant caldera or lava tube. In places like Antarctica many previously unknown geologic formations have been revealing themselves due to warming climate conditions. This "may" be an example of that.

Here's a photo of a typical lava tube. This one's in Iceland.
lavatube.JPG

Seen from below they're called skylights.
lava1.jpg

Calderas in Sudan.
caldera-sudan.jpg

Caldera in Yellowstone National Park
caldera1.jpg

Last edited:

From almost 2k away ... Looks like a spire of some sort ?

Still looks like a caldera to me. A caldera is basically a sinkhole left behind by a dormant volcano. The "spire" would have been created by a secondary eruption inside the previously formed caldera. Often an ancient caldera will fill with water creating a lake and the "spire" built from the secondary eruption will create an island within the original caldera.

caldera6.jpg

caldera5.jpg

Geez, you found the most ugliest photo of Crater Lake in Oregon :LOL:

The water is sapphire blue and its beautiful there. Been there many times camping. Below is an image off the web showing how much greenery is around and actual water color :LOL:

7_crater_lake.jpg

Hehehehe ...

I know what the hole in the ground is , but it almost looks like there is a ICBM sticking out of its side .. :)
Are there any photographs of this ? Is it documented anywhere ?
Looks like a interesting geological feature .. ( Possibly )
From 2437 meters , it looks kind of large .

Geez, you found the most ugliest photo of Crater Lake in Oregon :LOL:

The water is sapphire blue and its beautiful there. Been there many times camping. Below is an image off the web showing how much greenery is around and actual water color :LOL:

View attachment 46198

I've visited Crater Lake too on multiple occasions and it is indeed very beautiful, especially at sunset when the water takes on an orange glow instead of the azure blue from the reflection of the sky on a sunny day, but this is a discussion about geology, not tourist attractions.

FWIW, there are dozens of "Crater Lake" type calderas all over the world, some of which are considered even more beautiful than Oregon's Crater Lake, such as Heaven Lake on Paektu Mountain along the China-North Korean border, Lago Coatepeque in El Salvadore and Taal Lake in the Philippines.

Heaven Lake
Paektu Mountain.jpg

Taal
4. Taal Lake, Philippines 2.jpg

Coatepeque
Coatepeque Lake.jpg

Last edited:
I am just glad none of them are within 1000 KM of Denmark, it would take some act of a deity to get a volcano here, let alone right under our capitol.

Yes we have a little rebound quake now and then, but very small i only read about them never felt anything.
Amazing Denmark are still getting higher after being covered by a 1000 M thick sheet of ice, even if this was so many years ago.
There are a volcano in Holland, but it erupted in Jurassic times called Zuidwal volcano, thats probably the closest "volcano".
But the active ones they have down in Italy, if one of those go really bad we Danes will feel the blow too.
Icelandic volcano's are not that explosive to my knowledge, though as we saw they can create havoc too not least for air traffic.

The Krakatoa volcano when it blew it busted the eardrums on sailors 160 KM from the eruption.
And when Tambora blew it caused the year without summer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer
And when Yellowstone blow again, our American friends will need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
Hehehehe ...

I know what the hole in the ground is , but it almost looks like there is a ICBM sticking out of its side .. :)
Are there any photographs of this ? Is it documented anywhere ?
Looks like a interesting geological feature .. ( Possibly )
From 2437 meters , it looks kind of large .

"Possibly" a geologic feature? Really? What else are you suggesting it might be?

Wait! Are you one of those guys who spends all his spare time scouring Google Earth looking for secret underground UFO bases? :blackalien::greyalien::playful:

It is a place only visited once, and Juels Verne wrote a book about it. :)

Scour Google Earth ?
No , very rarely do I google Earth , Google Moon , Google Mars
It has been wet and windy , so I got a little bored !

But certainly looks like some sort of Spire sticking out of the side of the hole with some interesting coloration's .
And looks rather large .. I thought it might be documented ....

https://earth.google.com/web/@-85.1...493851a,1199.6461204d,35y,138.30971052h,0t,0r

Well, I'm not quite sure why you posted this thread but it certainly seems like you were soliciting opinions about what you found. And what you report to have found and what you are say about how it might "possibly" be a geologic formation suggests that you may feel it to be something else.

As it happens there are quite a few people out there on the internet claiming they've found secret underground UFO bases in Antarctic using Google Earth that turn out to be nothing more than extinct calderas and lava tubes. There are many similar geologic formations found all over Antarctica and your presentation looks awfully similar to these reports.

Like this one.....Strange Antarctic Entrances

Or this:
Google earth reveals strange Antarctic entrances – evidence of secret UFO bases?

or this.

Last edited:
?????????? Well , ok .. I said = it almost looks like there is a ICBM sticking out of its side ...
Never mentioned bases , or UFO's

It looks like some sort of Spire ... Is it a Rock Formation .. A trick of the light , a fault in the camera / imaging software ?
What ever it is , I found it interesting enough to share ...

So if there was any kind of conspiracy - Then the one that seems to be getting a lot of traction is the Antarctic Nazi Base Conspiracy ! :)
And if you follow the link and look a little up at the other range .. You may find some objects that look like pipes .
But with such LOW RES images , I will let the UFO theorists and what not run their imaginations wild .
That (?) Spire , might be a natural wonder as yet undocumented ! Some one has to be first !

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said. "But with such LOW RES images , I will let the UFO theorists and what not run their imaginations wild."

OK, you didn't actually say it was a UFO base but now you say "almost looks like there is a ICBM sticking out of its side". How are these UFO speculators any different when it comes to "UFO theorists and what not run their imaginations wild" ?.. :smuggrin:
How do these LOW RES images make your ICBM speculation any different. Perhaps you are letting your imagination run wild too?

These cavities in the earth, along with whatever "spires" are seen in these low resolution Google Earth satellite images are nothing more than common everyday geologic formations. They are not ICBMs.

We live in a world today where everyday people have free access to amazingly powerful technology such as Google Earth but don't have the professional analytical skills to reach objective conclusions about the information they are seeing and often don't even try to engage in any sort of critical thinking. Instead, they post articles to conspiracy web sites or posts to internet forums with their photographic images or videos they collected from the internet expressing wild claims or highly unlikely theories, speculations and explanations.

Hence we end up with entities like Cambridge Analytica and others who seek to influence how we are governed.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Eeeeer ! Smoking something ?

In my FIRST post = I simply posted a video ...
2nd Post I called it a = SPIRE
And in my 3rd post = I know what the hole in the ground is , but it almost looks like there is a ICBM sticking out of its side .. :)
operative word being = ALMOST ( looks like ) ..

I think your imagination is running a little wild ! As to my intent !
My intent = Share something interesting sticking up out of a hole in the ground .. And from a few thousand meters altitude , it would be off generous proportions ..
And If I am calling it anything = SPIRE ...
That looks like = In low resolution images = something sticking out of the ground .
If I had a squilion dollars , I would have a satellite run over that location with a High resolution camera ...
And if it really was a rather large protrusion , I would rent a helicopter and cruise on down to Antarctica for a personal look see ..
But , since I am relatively poor , well . Low res images on google Earth will have to do ..

You asked "What's in Antarctica?" in the title of this thread and the replies all suggest that it is a geologic formation, including the "spire". But you then freak out when others suggest that it's just a natural formation? Why even post something like this if you don't want to accept the answers?

The fact that you claim to be seeing something that "almost" looks like and ICBM makes me think you must be the one smoking something but I'll leave it go at that. I mean. you stated that ""UFO theorists run their imaginations wild" but your claiming that there is something in that hole in a remote part of Antarctica that looks to you "almost" like an intercontinetal balllistic missle is exactly the same kind of runaway imagination.

But FYI no! "ALMOST" is not the operative word, ICBM is. "ALMOST" is an adverb while the abbreviation ICBM is a noun, the actual subject and operative word of your statement. Maybe you should study up on how English language sentence structure works.

But again, why even mention an ICBM in the first place? That's the problem with people posting dumb speculations about stuff they find on the internet. Just suggesting the concept of an "ICBM" sticking out of a hole in the ground in Antarctica is part and parcel with the conspiracy mentality that is ruining intelligent discourse these days.

Oh, wait! It only "almost" looks like and ICBM. :smuggrin: That "almost" gets a conspiracy theorist off the hook, doesn't it? :LOL:

FWIW, ICBMs would never be left exposed to the harsh elements in a hole in the ground in Antarctica. ICBMs are housed in silos with concrete and steel covers over them. But, hey, why let common sense get in the way here when raising hebetudinous questions about a fuzzy image of a hole in the ground in a remote antarctic location that you happen to have found on Google Earth. :rolleyes:

This whole thread is really kind of silly at this point because the explanation is so entirely mundane. The object in the Google Earth imagery is nothing more that a lava tube or caldera with some sort of spire, pinnacle or even perhaps a hoodoo (earth piilar) inside it.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wozzzzza Off Topic 13
petepete Off Topic 1
Back