Terrell Smith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received my Street Guidarian SG9665GC, and there's a lot of stuff in the box! After watching some YouTube unboxing videos where the person had no idea what some of the stuff was for, I decided to make my own YouTube video to explain. Jon Smejkal of Pier28 was very helpful in answering my questions, and the install was very easy. You can watch here:
I found the GPS cable to be a bit on the short side, so added the short cable to it. You can see the difference here:
GPSExtension.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to make that nice video. I just received your email as well.

You'll want the SGGCCPL for any glare.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/

You can optionally mount the GPS upside down on the glass in the upper right corner. Move adhesive to GPS emblem side so it's facing up towards the sky or optionally flip the PCB board inside. (Another good use for the plastic trim tool)

We are thinking of changing the GPS to be pre-flipped for mounting on the window as the default in the future too. The new version would come with a shorter cable and we would make a Non-flipped long cable version as an accessory.

Thanks for taking the time to make that nice video. I just received your email as well.

You'll want the SGGCCPL for any glare.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/

You can optionally mount the GPS upside down on the glass in the upper right corner. Move adhesive to GPS emblem side so it's facing up towards the sky or optionally flip the PCB board inside. (Another good use for the plastic trim tool)

We are thinking of changing the GPS to be pre-flipped for mounting on the window as the default in the future too. The new version would come with a shorter cable and we would make a Non-flipped long cable version as an accessory.

In some states, it's illegal to attach anything to the windshield. Wisconsin is one of those states, and only allows a sticker authorized by a state government agency, such as a State Park sticker, on the lower left hand corner of the windshield. They also allow something very small, like the oil change reminder, in the upper left corner, though it's not by law, but procedure. So attaching even the camera is not allowed. But since it's totally behind the mirror, it's not blocking the windshield view, which is the main intent of the law. Attaching the GPS to the windshield would not be permitted, though it might easily be overlooked in the upper right corner. A lot of people attach a GPS, but it's actually not legal if it blocks any view.

Regarding stealth,, anything stuck to the glass is more visible from the outside.

Since the windshield is at an angle, what difference would it make for the GPS unit to be tipped rather than flat on the dash, as far as receiving signals well?

Since the windshield is at an angle, what difference would it make for the GPS unit to be tipped rather than flat on the dash, as far as receiving signals well?
The rear glass in my CUV sits at a 55 degree angle - more horizontal than vertical. At various times (I'll not divulge the circumstances :eek: ) I've had the GPS unit facing upward ('GPS' to the sky) and downward ('GPS' to the ground) and it worked in both scenarios but signal acquisition was about 1 minute faster from a cold start when facing upward.

I have no idea what would happen if it were facing downward and horizontal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CountryBumkin SG9665GC 47
R SG9665GC 64
Back