what's my dashcam ?

ttb

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Andonstar DX1 (RMC)
Hello,
I bought a rearview dashcam here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Dual...-DVR-4-3-LCD-3-In-1-Rearview/32501982208.html

It's an Andonstar ADX1. I would like to know what's my dashcam ? a G1WH or G1WHT or other ?
The actual firmware is GPCV-H42-161215
The date is in the lower left corner.
The user manual : http://andonstaradx1.blogspot.de/2016/06/high-definition-car-dvr-user-manual.html

It works well but I think the videos are big : 320 Mb for 2 mn in HD quality (720p, 25 FPS) !
The video codec is JPEG and audio is PCM.

So, it's a G1WH ?
Where can I find a firmware ?

Thanks for the welcome.
If I understand, it's impossible to find the base-model and a firmware ?

Some pictures :

Last edited:
It is very unlikely that you will find firmware or any other type of support for that cam. Most rear view mirror cams are very close to being junk and the manufacturers and sellers know this so they are not going to waste their time trying to support them. Do read the link I posted as it will explain more about what you've got.

Best to simply forget that cam and get a better one.

Phil

If I understand, it's impossible to find the base-model and a firmware?
Why do people feel like they have to update everything? Is there something wrong with the camera? Isn't it doing what it's supposed to do?

Btw, if you drive around with Motion Detection and the G-Sensor activated, you're bound to find some "not so good" surprises when you check the card's contents. ;)

It works well but I think the videos are big : 320 Mb for 2 mn in HD quality (720p, 25 FPS) !
That's why I was looking for a firmware. Never mind.

That's why I was looking for a firmware. Never mind.
As @jokiin said, it's just the way the MJPEG encoding works, it can't be modified by the firmware. That's why everybody should check the cameras' specs before buying them. And stay away from anything that works with MJPEG and AVI files. ;)

As @jokiin said, it's just the way the MJPEG encoding works, it can't be modified by the firmware. That's why everybody should check the cameras' specs before buying them. And stay away from anything that works with MJPEG and AVI files. ;)
Unfortunately I did not know this site before !

Welcome to DCT :D
It's not a G1W series cam. Most of the 'mirror' cams and cams using the GP chipset are poor performers. Learn more here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/rearview-mirror-dvr/
Maybe some mirror cams are poor performers but I think some have improved since the publication.
For example, mine has a 4,3 inches screen, the night video and sound are correct and the menu is different. The micro-SD card uses a class 10.

Unfortunately I did not know this site before !
Welcome to DCT forum.
Try to hang on here, it will be easier to select a better camera next time and where to get a better support.

Last edited:
I was lucky to find DCT before buying my first cam, otherwise I'd have been right there with our new friend :rolleyes: It's tough to get good info on dashcams unless you keep up with some of the 'techies' or are one one of the rare sites like this one. Almost all of the reviews on Ebay and Amazon are from equally new people and are usually posted before they give the cam a good workout :(

I hope @ttb has a good experience with the cam, but these aren't known for their longevity so if there's any problems we're always right here and glad to help :D

Phil

I was lucky to find DCT before buying my first cam, otherwise I'd have been right there with our new friend :rolleyes: It's tough to get good info on dashcams unless you keep up with some of the 'techies' or are one one of the rare sites like this one. Almost all of the reviews on Ebay and Amazon are from equally new people and are usually posted before they give the cam a good workout :(

Phil
My "teacher" was Techmoan, with his review of the G1W and his other video about how to chose a dashcam. I only found DCT when I was looking for a firmware upgarde for my G1W-H. :)

My "teacher" was Techmoan, with his review of the G1W and his other video about how to chose a dashcam. I only found DCT when I was looking for a firmware upgarde for my G1W-H. :)
Thanks for great video reviews from Techmoan Youtube channel!

Back