What's the Absolutely Easiest Free Video Editing Software for Newbies?

TeriTerryTarry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Several action cams
I'm looking for the simplest, easiest free video editing software for a newbie, i.e., for me. I only need to trim the beginning and end of videos, cut out stuff in the middle, cut or boost the audio here and there, join clips together and insert the occasional photo. I've never edited any videos before and don't have a clue about file types. I don't care about uploading to YouTube at this point, it's just for me to send videos to family and friends.

I'm running Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop. My videos are recorded by an SJCam SJ4000 or my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. Photos will be from either of those or my Canon point-and-shoot. I already have Windows Live Movie Maker on my machine. Some other free programs I've heard of are:

Avidemux
Avisynth
Blender
Lightworks free version
Natron
Registrator Viewer
Shotcut
VideoLAN Movie Creator
Videopad
VirtualDub
VirtualDubMod
VSDC Free Video Editor

I've only HEARD of these programs. When I read reviews or check forums about these the opinions are all over the place: Witness the back-and-forth just in this forum! Therefore I haven't downloaded any of them yet. I can't emphasize enough how little I know about cameras and videos. A simple program for a simple mind and empty wallet are all I need for now.

Last edited:
I have been in your position, tested back then few so called "free" video editing softwares, but non of them worked well for me from perspective of being easy to use vs my needs.
I rarely buy any software, but this time I decided to spend money on AVS Video Editing software. It is one of the most easiest and practical ( for me ). Comes as a package of 11 very useful sofware programs and cost 59usd lifetime.

http://www.avs4you.com/index.aspx

It is fully loaded with video tutorials on "how to", so it is easy to learn.
You can donwload it and try testing. Even test version is fully functional, just leaves AVS4you watermark in the middle of the screen. After testing if you happy, you can ask your GF or wife to buy it for Valantines Day as a present ;)

P.S., sorry I did not replay to your request on "free softwares". Just gave my opinion of "free" vs "paid" video editing softwares I have experienced back then being in same position like you now.

I think you need to pay to get decent editing, that said though the basic cut and splice editing that is possible with Registrator Viewer is really good and has some specific capabilities for dashcams that you just don't find in other programs, even with a paid program I'd expect there would be times where Registrator Viewer would still be the preferred option for the simple stuff

I think you need to pay to get decent editing, that said though the basic cut and splice editing that is possible with Registrator Viewer is really good and has some specific capabilities for dashcams that you just don't find in other programs, even with a paid program I'd expect there would be times where Registrator Viewer would still be the preferred option for the simple stuff

Correct. I found some more expencive softwares are too complicated for my needs and free ones does not deliver everything I need, so I ended up with AVS Video Editor. But for joining or cutting video clips I still find Registrator Viewer the best quickest solution. I combine those two software when editing videos.

I have been in your position, tested back then few so called "free" video editing softwares, but non of them worked well for me from perspective of being easy to use vs my needs.
I rarely buy any software, but this time I decided to spend money on AVS Video Editing software. It is one of the most easiest and practical ( for me ). Comes as a package of 11 very useful sofware programs and cost 59usd lifetime.

http://www.avs4you.com/index.aspx

It is fully loaded with video tutorials on "how to", so it is easy to learn.
You can donwload it and try testing. Even test version is fully functional, just leaves AVS4you watermark in the middle of the screen. After testing if you happy, you can ask your GF or wife to buy it for Valantines Day as a present ;)

P.S., sorry I did not replay to your request on "free softwares". Just gave my opinion of "free" vs "paid" video editing softwares I have experienced back then being in same position like you now.
That's okay, niko, I appreciate the reply. I'm sure I will purchase something eventually but for now I just want to understand the minimum basics of video editing.

That's okay, niko, I appreciate the reply. I'm sure I will purchase something eventually but for now I just want to understand the minimum basics of video editing.

AVS is the minimum basics provided in the easy way to understand. Some others I have been using are some time too complicated, especially for newbie.
You are not loosing anything. Download AVS Video editor for free ( free version just leaves watermark, other than that it is fully functioning ). They spent a lot of time into showing each step-by-step via video tutorial. After few weeks of testing if you happy, then can pay licence and it removes watermark.

AVS is the minimum basics provided in the easy way to understand. Some others I have been using are some time too complicated, especially for newbie.
You are not loosing anything. Download AVS Video editor for free ( free version just leaves watermark, other than that it is fully functioning ). They spent a lot of time into showing each step-by-step via video tutorial. After few weeks of testing if you happy, then can pay licence and it removes watermark.
Looking at the AVS4you website, I see I can download the video editor but before I click anything, let me make sure I understand that I will have the option during the installation process to NOT install the paid version nor any of the other software listed on the page, is that correct? AND I want to make sure the program doesn't ask me again and again to install the paid version, right? Of course I understand about the watermark.
http://www.avs4you.com/downloads.aspx

Looking at the AVS4you website, I see I can download the video editor but before I click anything, let me make sure I understand that I will have the option during the installation process to NOT install the paid version nor any of the other software listed on the page, is that correct? AND I want to make sure the program doesn't ask me again and again to install the paid version, right? Of course I understand about the watermark.
http://www.avs4you.com/downloads.aspx

AVS Video Editor Review HERE

AVS Video Editor Free Trial

The makers of AVS Video Editor allow all of their future customers to try their software before buying. The unique thing about the AVS Video Editor free trial is that there is no time limit. You can use the software as long as you like and try every feature it has to offer. The only difference between the free trial and the paid version is a tiny watermark that appears in the corner of your videos. Once you decide to upgrade to the paid version this watermark is removed and you're free to use the software without this small annoyance.

You can click on AVS Video editor "download" and it will download an installation file. It will not ask you to register or enter credit / debit card.

Agreement:
http://www.avs4you.com/License-Agreement.aspx

About "watermark":
http://www.avs4you.com/guides/How-to-activate-the-AVS4YOU-software.aspx

Can I please ask you jokiin if Registrator Viewer installs on my machine or if it's cloud-based? I ask this because on the bottom of the web page it states, "Does not require installation. Download, launch, enjoy!".
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

It runs on your machine - you're just downloading the executable which you can run directly from your machine.

It just needs a data connection for the maps to work.

Thanks for all the information niko. I'll add AVS to my list. Cheers :)

It runs on your machine - you're just downloading the executable which you can run directly from your machine.

Great - thank you. :)

If I can just clarify, I won't have any GPS data with my SJ4000 videos so no maps would be involved. I presume that doesn't affect the video editing?

Add DaVinci Resolve 12 to the list. It is free, and probably the best color-correction software out there.
There is a paid version as well, but costs quite a lot.
Free version is awesome.

Is it easy to use? - Not at all, but its a great software.
When I have time I will do few tutorials for people on my YT channel.

Add DaVinci Resolve 12 to the list. It is free, and probably the best color-correction software out there.
There is a paid version as well, but costs quite a lot.
Free version is awesome.

Is it easy to use? - Not at all, but its a great software.
When I have time I will do few tutorials for people on my YT channel.
Thanks Pavle. It's interesting that so far nobody has recommended any on my original list!

Cheers :)

I already have Windows Live Movie Maker on my machine. Some other free programs I've heard of are:

Avidemux
Avisynth
Blender
Lightworks free version
Natron
Registrator Viewer
Shotcut
VideoLAN Movie Creator
Videopad
VirtualDub
VirtualDubMod
VSDC Free Video Editor

It's interesting that so far nobody has recommended any on my original list!

as far as i know, avidemux and avisynth are not normal editing programs. they're for transcoding (converting between AVI and other formats like mp4 or mpg), so probably won't be what you want anyway. and i thought blender was some sort of 3d rendering program, but i could be wrong.

several people have talked about registrator viewer in this thread. it has its place but may not be what you're looking for. i used it to speed up a dashcam video. then used VSDC to crop some off the bottom to hide the dashboard, added titles and music. this basically created a time lapse (or hyperlapse if you prefer) video of a sunrise in palo duro canyon.

videolan (the people who made VLC player) movie creator never really saw the light of day and development was stopped several years ago.

from what i remember, virtualdub is another converter, similar to handbrake. not meant for the kind of editing you're talking about.

VSDC is one i've used and i have no complaints other than it trying to install "bonus" software during the initial installation - but at least it's obvious about it and gives you a chance to opt out - it doesn't force the bloatware on you. there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it, it's pretty powerful. it's no adobe premiere, but it's also free. it's what i used to edit my videos till i got more comfortable using Kdenlive in Linux.

i've never used windows movie maker but i hear it's pretty simple and may be enough for what you want - as long as it can handle the formats your cameras may use (it might not, unless you install something like the K-Lite codec pack).

Palo Duro Canyon? I used to live in Amarillo! The entrance to the park is such a surprise. It's tabletop flat for miles around then suddenly, there's the canyon. A friend used to joke that the overpasses over I-40 were "panhandle mountains". You made a beautiful time-lapse video of the canyon, Gibson99.

I really appreciate the feedback. Like I said I really don't know about any of these programs so I'm not surprised some of them aren't even what I'm looking for. I had also heard Blender was a 3D rendering program but that it contained a video editor as well.

Next on my viewing list of tutorials is codecs. Geez it's embarrassing to admit I don't know anything about this stuff. Anyway thanks very much for the help.

Palo Duro Canyon? I used to live in Amarillo!

Geez it's embarrassing to admit I don't know anything about this stuff. Anyway thanks very much for the help.

Yeah, it's pretty neat to be driving along, getting little sneak peeks here and there, but then you turn a corner and go sharply downhill, and there it is:

vlcsnap-2015-11-30-01h10m01s168.jpeg

as for not knowing - don't feel bad. everyone has to start somewhere. i'm learning a ton about quadcopters now that i have one.

Back