Whats the best dash cam??

sovike77

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I wanna get a good dash cam for best value for money. But I can't have it plugged into the cars 12v supply, I'd prefer to get it wired to the cars battery if that's possible, any advice on which cam to get? Thank you

Welcome to the forum.
If you wire directly to a power source, you will loose the automatic on / off of the dashcam and it will be on all the time untill the battery are flat, but you can wire to any ACC source or fuse so the camera come on with the engine and turn off when the engine turn off.
Some / most cameras are / come ready to plug into the lighter socket in the dashboard, but many want to have that free for other things, so what you can do is buy a similar female 12 V socket, wire that to the power source and then plug into that.

you can not just cut off the plug on most dashcams as in the plug there is a 12 V to 5V converter as most dashcams use 5 volts, so if you put 12 V in where it was supposed to be 5 volts you will destroy the camera.
But buy a female 12 V socket, wire that to a fuse or wire that is only on when the car is driving ( remember a fuse,,,, 5 A ) and tape the male and female 12V plug together as under the dashboard the 2 parts might wiggle loose.

iu

Back